!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 50188 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #480 on: September 26, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
As if you would have any problems like that, now us lesser mortals........ (today I glued my fingers together twice, but they were different fingers) :)

You think I haven't managed to glue my fingers together recently? Or onto my workbench, keyboard, model.....  :doh:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #481 on: September 26, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
That must make nasal gardening extremely difficult/painful :worried:

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #482 on: September 27, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »
That must make nasal gardening extremely difficult/painful :worried:

I suppose glued fingers would make such an activity challenging if you were so inclined to undertake it. When I was much younger, I used to think of it as exploratory surgery of the nasal cavities myself - However, I learnt better habits as I got older!  :smiley-laughing:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #483 on: September 27, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »
Nail polish remover works well, but up the nose it tends to be a bit dodgy  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #484 on: September 27, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
Now that the County is out of the way for a few days, I've been able to turn my attention to a commission project, an BR V3. This body is the third of the prototype prints I had done at the beginning of the year and, as a result, needed some details adding. This was done a little while ago along with the basic painting but this afternoon I started to lining it using my bow pen.

There are a couple of clean up/touch up areas to address once the paint is a little drier. Also, I'm going to have another look at the bit of horizontal lining under the cab windows. The corners were touched in using a OOO brush.

Superb work as always Steve, looking forward to seeing the finished job, what a lovely prototype it is, would look great pulling a few MK1 Suburbans..

Roy

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #485 on: September 27, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »
Roy;

Why not visit Etched Pixels/Ultima and build a set of Alan's Gresley or Thompson non-corridors………

I've already got the coaches, and the chassis for the L1; hope it comes out well!

Martyn

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #486 on: September 29, 2018, 06:31:22 PM »
I've just got back from the Dapol open day which was just as good as I remember it from last year. In preparation for the day, I sold some old bits and pieces that I haven't used in years and raised £90 to spend on the NQP/Spares/Repairs locomotive on sale at the event. I came away with the following locomotives and only overspent by £5!

Two Dapol Halls for use as donors for my Ivatt Atlantic projects (when I find time for them!). These will end up with Britannia driving wheels (I have one more set to source) as these are the largest wheels I can fit within the 7' front coupled wheelbase. Not much of the Hall will end up being used but it was still cheaper to buy these than source the various donor parts separately.

Mallard - a locomotive I have wanted for ages. This one is a non-runner but I think I've got all the spares required to return it to working order. I'll be modifying the tender by removing the beading as Mallard didn't use this particular style. As this will also involve a bit of repainting and re-lettering, I didn't want to splash out for a working example. This will replace the various A3 conversions I've got on the go (once they are finished) as my 'time filler' in and around various commission bits I've currently got on the go.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #487 on: September 29, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
I've just got back from the Dapol open day which was just as good as I remember it from last year. In preparation for the day, I sold some old bits and pieces that I haven't used in years and raised £90 to spend on the NQP/Spares/Repairs locomotive on sale at the event. I came away with the following locomotives and only overspent by £5!

Two Dapol Halls for use as donors for my Ivatt Atlantic projects (when I find time for them!). These will end up with Britannia driving wheels (I have one more set to source) as these are the largest wheels I can fit within the 7' front coupled wheelbase. Not much of the Hall will end up being used but it was still cheaper to buy these than source the various donor parts separately.

Mallard - a locomotive I have wanted for ages. This one is a non-runner but I think I've got all the spares required to return it to working order. I'll be modifying the tender by removing the beading as Mallard didn't use this particular style. As this will also involve a bit of repainting and re-lettering, I didn't want to splash out for a working example. This will replace the various A3 conversions I've got on the go (once they are finished) as my 'time filler' in and around various commission bits I've currently got on the go.

That's not fair you did not tell me you were going, I could have gate crashed and bought one of those 4A thingy-ma-jigs :(

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #488 on: September 29, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
That's not fair you did not tell me you were going, I could have gate crashed and bought one of those 4A thingy-ma-jigs :(

Sorry Paul.  :( Anyway, you need to join the Collectors Club and sign up to the event to gain entry. There were very few valanced A4s which disappeared very very quickly.

I'd recommend the Dapol Collectors Club for the open day on its own. Not often you can tour the UK part of a model railway manufacturer (watching the injection moulding machine working is really interesting).

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #489 on: September 29, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »

Sorry Paul.  :( Anyway, you need to join the Collectors Club and sign up to the event to gain entry. There were very few valanced A4s which disappeared very very quickly.

I'd recommend the Dapol Collectors Club for the open day on its own. Not often you can tour the UK part of a model railway manufacturer (watching the injection moulding machine working is really interesting).

Im not talking to you I'm SULKING  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Anyway the DO wont let me join any clubs as apparently I might get led astray or something, because Im a little innocent in a nasty, nasty world

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #490 on: September 30, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »

Anyway the DO wont let me join any clubs as apparently I might get led astray or something, because Im a little innocent in a nasty, nasty world

Don't sulk, it doesn't become you.

I'm not sure it would be possible to lead you any more astray Paul...  :D

Are you going to be heading to Warley this year?

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: September 30, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »

Don't sulk, it doesn't become you.

I'm not sure it would be possible to lead you any more astray Paul...  :D

Are you going to be heading to Warley this year?

Im good at Sulking I can make the last ages

What are you trying to say, I'm a little Angel  :angel:  Its just I'm surrounded by naughty people

I will have to ask the DO, I may need a special travel document

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #492 on: September 30, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
Im good at Sulking I can make the last ages

What are you trying to say, I'm a little Angel  :angel:  Its just I'm surrounded by naughty people

I will have to ask the DO, I may need a special travel document

I doubt that you are as good at sulking as you are a modelling and layout building!

ANGEL?!?!?!?!  :laughabovepost:

My advice is to get the special travel documents and, if unsuccessful, forge them!  :D

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #493 on: September 30, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
A bit of good news. Having a bit of spare time today, I couldn't resist looking over Mallard and trying to diagnose what the problems were. Having braced myself for the possibility of a full rebuild, it turned out to be that somebody had managed to snap both of the loco to tender pickup wires and knocked the drive shaft out of both of the UJ cups. 25 minutes of tinkering and Mallard is a good runner! £30 well spent I think!  :D  :claphappy:

Although I'm happy that I now have a runner, when I get around to making the tender modifications, I'll take a bit of time to see just how well the various wheels are picking up power as it has already been demonstrated that the tender isn't contributing to pickup at the moment.

I'm struggling to see how the damage I've repaired was done either in the factory or in transit. It very much looks like a case of bad handling by the original owner - that said, some of the spares/repairs locomotives that I've purchased in the past have shown far worse signs of poor handling than this one. I do wonder what some people do to their locos though...

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #494 on: September 30, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »
Sounds like someone has picked it up by the loco with the tender just dangling underneath ::)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations