!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 56910 times)

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
Thank you Roy.  :-[

As promised, a picture of the PPR E6 as presented to N-Stars (photo courtesy of Marc Starmans).

[img width=600 height=450]
Unfortunately the bell (a separate item) didn't survive the printing process so I'll need to give that a quick revision this week.

Another fabulous job Steve, the sheer complexity of the shape of this loco will have been a huge challenge I am sure!

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2017, 03:48:07 PM »
Thanks Roy,

It is the most complex locomotive I've completed to date, both the boiler and firebox presented some interesting challenges to overcome. It isn't the most difficult locomotive body I've attempted though, that honor goes to the streamlined B17 and I've still not managed to come up with a method to successfully render it in CAD! I think that the original P2, 2001, comes in a close second but I think I might have figured that one out now - it is quite deceptive in how complex it actually is!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2017, 08:15:41 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for the word - I'll be looking at the chassis closely - ever hopeful for a V09 or a Z!

Regards,

Roy

Hi Roy,

The issue with both the V09 and Z is the location of the cylinders in relation to the running plate. The fact they pass through the running plate makes life very difficult with regard to the slide bars and motion. The C1 is theoretically easier but I'm still to come up with a solution that'll work with a standard one - 3279 that I have build is a very different animal which allowed the easier incorporation of the standard Farish cylinders in relation to the running plate.

Never say never, but I'm struggling to see how this can be achieved in N while keeping things looking reasonably proportioned.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
If you want a real nightmare of cylinders AND valve gear through running plate have a look at the SR Ex LSWR T14 class

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/t14class_01.html

I've so far resisted the temptation to do one, just can't figure how to go about it!
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »
If you want a real nightmare of cylinders AND valve gear through running plate have a look at the SR Ex LSWR T14 class

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/t14class_01.html

I've so far resisted the temptation to do one, just can't figure how to go about it!

Indeed! The 'Paddleboxes' were wonderful looking locomotives but not the easiest things to model in 4 or 7mm scales let alone N! I'm not a fan of the rebuilt version though.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
A bit of a quick and dirty modification of one of my earlier designs the K3.

Now adapted to represent a K3/1 with GNR cab in around mid 1930's condition. Besides the GNR cab, I've also converted the K3 to right hand drive but have yet to discover if the boiler fittings had been replaced with 'standard' K3 ones by this point. I've retained the cut outs on the bufferbeam every picture I've seen of the original ten K3s in the Thirties have this feature. The loco will end up being paired with an LNER flared tender as they all appear to have lost their GNR ones by this point. All had been rebuilt with side window cabs by nationalisation.

Something to add to my list of things to print once the final part to service my printer finally arrives!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:17:48 PM by Atso »

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2017, 09:15:24 PM »
A bit of a quick and dirty modification of one of my earlier designs the K3.

Now adapted to represent a K3/1 with GNR cab in around mid 1930's condition. Besides the GNR cab, I've also converted the K3 to right hand drive but have yet to discover if the boiler fittings had been replaced with 'standard' K3 ones by this point. I've retained the cut outs on the bufferbeam every picture I've seen of the original ten K3s in the Thirties have this feature. The loco will end up being paired with an LNER flared tender as they all appear to have lost their GNR ones by this point. All had been rebuilt with side window cabs by nationalisation.

Something to add to my list of things to print once the final part to service my printer finally arrives!

Awesome

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: September 19, 2017, 05:59:17 PM »
Still no working printer so I've been having a go with the CAD again. Today's progress, which still requires a lot of detailing work, as well as accounting for at least some of the many variations of this class(es). Hopefully it'll fit onto a modified N class chassis.

This one has been a long time coming...

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »
Still no working printer so I've been having a go with the CAD again. Today's progress, which still requires a lot of detailing work, as well as accounting for at least some of the many variations of this class(es). Hopefully it'll fit onto a modified N class chassis.

This one has been a long time coming...

Lovely work Steve. LNER tank locos in N is the most obvious gap that the "Big boys" have yet to address at all (There has been little news of progress regarding the J72 Bachmann announced after what must be three years).

I look forward to seeing this one develop.

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
Lovely work Steve. LNER tank locos in N is the most obvious gap that the "Big boys" have yet to address at all (There has been little news of progress regarding the J72 Bachmann announced after what must be three years).

I look forward to seeing this one develop.

Thanks Roy. I agree that LNER tanks locomotives are rather poorly represented in N gauge without a single example being represented by the current generation of rtr locomotives (the GF J72 and DJM J94 being the obvious exceptions when they eventually appear).

When you consider that all of the big four had a great many tank engines, I'm surprised that so few are represented to current standards.

The V1/V3 is something that I've wanted to have a go at for quite awhile now and I know that at least one other forum member will be interested in it. I've got to sort out why the cab looks over length (in profile) today; all the key dimensions check out so I've been left scratching my head so far.

I've got one other tank engine planned for the N class chassis and anyone knowing the history of that prototype should be able to work out what that one will be (when it gets designed!).

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
Any chance that you might defect to the Western for enough time to do a10xx County? I am certain that there would be quite a few of us who would be interested..... >:D

Regards,

Alex

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
Any chance that you might defect to the Western for enough time to do a10xx County? I am certain that there would be quite a few of us who would be interested..... >:D

Regards,

Alex

Which version is the 10xx? The original 4-4-0 or the Hawksworth 4-6-0? Best chassis for it?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
One just about completed CAD for an LNER V1 in original condition. This is as far as I'm going to go until I've had a chance to get a test model printed. Once I'm happy with the fit on the body, I'll see about doing some of the other variants in the V1/V3 classes.

I'm toying with the idea of designing a rear 'radial truck' (really a pony for practical purposes) to allow the existing pins at the back of the N class chassis to be used and maybe fit pickups to the trailing wheel...

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »

Regards,

Alex

Which version is the 10xx? The original 4-4-0 or the Hawksworth 4-6-0? Best chassis for it?

The 10xx County is the Hawksworth 4-6-0. as for a chassis, I have thought about a Farish King or Castle chassis with Hall cylinders (can't use a Dapol Hall as the tender needs a different frame as well as body) I am not yet in yours or Dr Al's league when it comes to cutting chassis about.

Regards,

Alex 

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
The 10xx County is the Hawksworth 4-6-0. as for a chassis, I have thought about a Farish King or Castle chassis with Hall cylinders (can't use a Dapol Hall as the tender needs a different frame as well as body) I am not yet in yours or Dr Al's league when it comes to cutting chassis about.

Farish Black Five chassis perhaps?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything