!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 79058 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #855 on: June 28, 2020, 07:49:34 PM »
The first side of the tenders are now lined. As usual, my ability to cleaning paint in the black line left a bit to be desired, as evidenced by the bottom right hand corner here (which turned out to be my best attempt!).

Cleaning up the paint using a fine brush and a little white spirit quickly improves things though...

Both of the new locos now have their identities.

With the bufferbeam numbers being added this morning.

The rear of the tender bodies have now had their straight lining applied. I'll start adding in the corners tomorrow.

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #856 on: June 30, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »
Work progressed last night when I painted in the 'white' corners on the rear of the tender. The black will be added later today or tomorrow morning, depending how the days goes.

I think my ability to get consistent corners is improving.

I've also been sorting out the 'split frame' pickups for the tender frames and Cartazzi truck. Some Markits 1.5mm inside diameter gearbox bearings were epoxied into place and left for 24 hours to complete set. I then soldered wires to bridge the bearings with them left overlength at the front for the eventual fitting of magnets which will provide the electrical connection to the loco's steel frames. In order to not weaken the epoxy, quick work with the soldering iron is essential. Once the wires were in place, some more epoxy was added to keep them from being accidentally caught and damager.

This is not how I would tackle this for a set of visible frames. As these will be painted black and hidden behind the outer frames, I can get away with such an untidy arrangement here.

The next job is to fit stub axles to the tender wheels and electrically join them to the tyres.

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #857 on: July 02, 2020, 07:41:53 PM »
A bit of a change as a break from the C1s and track building.

The first test prints of the ex-GNR Class A tender fitted to the hacked Farish tender drive described back on page 50. I've got a few corrections to make for the next print but I'm pleased to say that the Farish unit fits within the tender space (albeit minus the DCC socket).

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #858 on: July 06, 2020, 06:30:16 PM »
I've finally managed to sort out the Class A tender for my J6s. Below are the body pieces on top of the modified Farish J39 donor bits.

To recap, the J39's front coupled wheelbase has been shorten to the correct 7'3" for the J6. The tender has also had its wheelbase reduced at the front end, at the expense of driving the front tender wheels. I've not rigged any pickups for the tender yet but have tested the loco and can confirm that it does run quite well already.

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #859 on: July 07, 2020, 10:13:56 AM »
I've made a start on converting a second tender drive for use with the J6s. The first stage is to cut around 2mm out of the chassis between the leading two wheels. To do this I first tapped out the idler gears between these two wheelsets and then cut out the required section using a piercing saw.

After the cuts were made, I tidied up the surfaces using a file before using epoxy to glue the pieces back together. I replaced the wheelsets and placed everything on a piece of plate glass and fiddled with the alignments. I then added a small piece of lead to stop the front section dropping forward, as it was a little nose heavy.

I'll leave everything to set up for the next twenty four hours before drilling a tap hole and pinning everything together using a screw for additional strength.

All this was achieved in about half an hour.

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #860 on: August 08, 2020, 09:34:38 PM »
Things have been quiet on the loco front recently as I've been busy working on the layout and preparing to finally start my new job in a couple of weeks time.

For those interested who haven't visited my layout thread, what I've been up to can be found here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41269.300

However, the arrival of some new 0.45mm drills (that actually cut and drill!) meant that I could no longer put off detailing the J6s. I've still got the buffers, safety valves, vac pipes and whistles to add but, in my usual fashion, I'll add these one the bulk of the painting has been completed.

Those with sharp eyes, may have noticed that one represents a loco around 25 years older than the other. This is my keeping a very old promise to a good (and very patient) friend that I would build him a J6. I've still got to finish rebuilding the second tender drive, but it is encouraging to see both locos in this state cosmetically. Hopefully some top coats of paint will be sloshed around next week. I hope to recommence the lining out of the C1 tenders also.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:51:48 PM by Stevie DC »

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #861 on: August 15, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »
With the weather not cooperating this week with my intention to do some airbrushing, I've been tinkering with the two Atlantics. Tender lining has now been largely completed and I'll be turning my attention to modifying the coupling rods, connecting rods, cross heads and N Brass slide bars next.

I've been playing with Gimp editing this image. Nothing fancy beyond 'cloning' the white background to hide the more usual clutter invading my photos.

I hope that I can spray up the J6s soon. Both having plan black liveries, this will be a far quicker job than it would be if lining was involved. Speaking of which, I've recently received a mystery (to all but one reading this!) loco to finish detailing and repaint into it's late 50's early 60's preserved livery. This should be an interesting challenge, but one that will likely take some time as I will finally be starting my new job a week Monday!  :claphappy:

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #862 on: August 17, 2020, 07:52:08 AM »
I've been doing some testing on one of the latest C1 chassis working out the ideal weight distribution. I'll be fitting a coupling and doing some haulage tests before fitting weights into the bodies.

I've also been working on the Dapol Hall crossheads and N Brass slide bars to get a good running fit.

You can see how much had to be taken from the top and bottom of the crosshead to be able to fit it to the slidebar (and provide clearance below the running plate). The slidebars have also had quite a bit filed off the them to accommodate the crosshead and better fit the loco.

One final view showing how the slots in the crossheads were opened out to gain sufficient clearance. A little nerve racking to do but but working carefully and slowly, I've not had any problems yet (touch wood!).

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #863 on: August 18, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
Steve I thought you might like to see these. Still some tidying up and detail required but very nice prints to work with.

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #864 on: August 18, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
Steve I thought you might like to see these. Still some tidying up and detail required but very nice prints to work with.

Great stuff and nicely turned out. Thank you so much for sharing, I'm always happy to see what people have done with the prints.  :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #865 on: August 18, 2020, 11:00:03 PM »
4436 got its slide bars and cross heads fitted today before undergoing haulage trials. The video below shows it taking an eight coach train.

I later loaded up fifteen coaches behind the tender which, despite the formation occupying 3/4 of the test loop, 4436 handled with ease.

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #866 on: August 19, 2020, 12:47:57 AM »

Ok, some more of the smaller details have been added tonight. I'm still playing with editing out the background; out of my two attempts, this is not the best one!

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #867 on: August 20, 2020, 01:50:05 PM »
A slightly better photo of 4436 posed alongside 4452. 3286 is rapidly catching up and I hope to have the three of them in a similar running condition before I start my new job on Monday.

It has occured to me that I am building Atlantics in the reverse order of the prototypes. This isn't going to change anytime soon as the next build will be of 3280 and then 3279. 3280 has been chosen next because, as a Copley Hill loco, it was frequently seen hauling the Queen of Scots - in fact I haven't seen a photo of the loco without the QoS headboard fitted.

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #868 on: August 20, 2020, 07:21:40 PM »
But we *like* the backgrounds...

We sometimes see little hints and clues - its a 'spice of life' kinda thing :)

Ross.

PS - As always, the models are truly stunning.   Love watching your collection grow!
“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #869 on: August 20, 2020, 08:57:50 PM »
Steve,

The C1s appeared in the North East.

I've seen pictures of 3276, 4405, 4424 and 4447 at Low Fell - the first and last on goods vans.

Regards,

Roy

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal