!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 50145 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #675 on: July 14, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
A fully lined GC one will be quite something and if anyone is up to that challenge it is you!

I look forward to seeing them both develop.

Thank you, I'll try not to disappoint!  ;)

Originally he wanted a black one, as he thought it would make my life easier not having to paint multiple colours. I managed to convince him that hand lining the white/red/black/white quadruple lining was actually the more difficult thing to do! By comparison, masking up for airbrushing several different colours is relatively simple (but time consuming).

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #676 on: July 14, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »
I've managed to spend a bit of time doing the first bits of the center panel lining for Spearmint's tender. While I was originally going to use the hand painted decal, I found myself on an off day with getting the scalpel cuts right to give a consistent outer white line.

Therefore, I decided that I was going to try once again and ruling the outer white lines onto the tender. I've never been happy with my previous attempts as it is very difficult to get two consistent and paralleled lines that are only 0.5mm apart. However, today somebody must have been smiling down on me as I've managed to make a reasonable attempt at it for the first time.

The lines are a little messy in places but this is all on the inside, which will be painted black once the outer lines have dried. The corners are brush painted using a fine tipped brush and then tidied up using a brush moistened with white spirit and the wiped on a kitchen towel until almost dry to gently lift or manipulate the paint.

Overall this represents about 90 minutes worth of work. Now that I seem to have cracked the basics, I expect subsequent efforts to be a bit quicker.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #677 on: July 15, 2019, 05:50:27 PM »
I've painted the center black line today. Below is a rather cruel close up and comparison to Dapol's factory finish.

I've still got some tidying up and patch painting to do, so I might get things a little neater yet.

Offline Garyf

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #678 on: July 15, 2019, 07:19:36 PM »
Well I think that looks pretty damned good, I'd be proper chuffed to achieve something that good.

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #679 on: July 15, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
Well I think that looks pretty damned good, I'd be proper chuffed to achieve something that good.

Thanks Gary, I guess that all modellers will naturally be very critical of their own work. It might just be because of the depression, but I'm amazed that anyone thinks my efforts are any good, much less occasionally part with money for something I made.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #680 on: July 15, 2019, 09:03:58 PM »

Thanks Gary, I guess that all modellers will naturally be very critical of their own work. It might just be because of the depression, but I'm amazed that anyone thinks my efforts are any good, much less occasionally part with money for something I made.

For what its worth Steve I have always considered you gifted with top draw talent, your modeling skills have always impressed me. 

Keep it going m8 your threads make good reading and viewing!  :thumbsup:

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #681 on: July 15, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
For what its worth Steve I have always considered you gifted with top draw talent, your modeling skills have always impressed me. 

Keep it going m8 your threads make good reading and viewing!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave.  :-[ Believe me, I'm not gifted - at best I'll accept too stupid to know when I'm defeated.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #682 on: July 15, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »
I've painted the center black line today. Below is a rather cruel close up and comparison to Dapol's factory finish.
To be honest Steve, I think the Dapol one looks like its a printed on decal to me, whereas yours looks like its a lovingly restored tender out of some shed in Darlington. Far far more like the real thing.
Just my opinion.

Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Hartlepool MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION
October 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #683 on: July 15, 2019, 10:30:51 PM »
To be honest Steve, I think the Dapol one looks like its a printed on decal to me, whereas yours looks like its a lovingly restored tender out of some shed in Darlington. Far far more like the real thing.
Just my opinion.

Thanks Kirky, I think the lack of decently lighting does my tender a lot of favours! As the loco is (and will largely remain in) Dapol's factory finish, I've really been trying to match the finish. Once the other side is done, I'll be giving the tender a coat of satin varnish (very slightly bias to the matt side) to try and get as close a finish as I can.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations