!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Post Grouping Builds  (Read 250 times)

Offline thebrighton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
Post Grouping Builds
« on: May 31, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
Howdy,
On occasion I do have a dabble with models that aren't pre grouping so thought I'd start a new thread.

As some will be aware a 3D printed body for a Southern Q class is now available from Pedanticmongrel of this forum to fit on a 4F chassis coupled to an N class tender so I thought I'd give it a go.

Being a Shapeways print a fair bit of work was needed to lose the print lines but luckily the print doesn't have too much detail which can get lost in the cleaning up process. A fair bit of adjusting was required of body and chassis to get the body to sit low enough but also allow the donor 4F's wheels to turn. It's still a little high but it's close enough.

Various pipework was added including the plumbing into the mechanical reverser, handrails, boiler bands and cab roof beading along with various N Brass fittings.

Having done all that something looked wrong and upon its discovery I had to take the nervous route of trimming the FUD which is notoriously brittle... Possibly not the designers fault as Ian Beatties drawing in the Railway Modeller is also incorrect but the footplate narrows by a few inches from just behind the footsteps between the front 2 drivers whilst the print's of a consistent width. It's not much but when you know something is wrong...

Anyhow, somehow I managed to trim a mm off with out losing half the footplate so result.

For some reason painting was simpler than my pre grouping locos...

Although I have ended up with a loco that is definitely a Q class and am grateful it is available some of its proportions seem a bit off and the cost may well be the killer as you need 2 donor locos and a pile of N Brass castings. I do however now have a spare 4F loco body and tender although the N Class chassis has many possibilities.

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
Re: Post Grouping Builds
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:30:32 PM »

For some reason painting was simpler than my pre grouping locos...

Spot the pre-grouping modeller who hasn't discovered the LYR yet ...

:laugh:
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Online Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 10:46:52 AM »
Iíve made a start with my Q but havenít got round to adapting the chassis yet. Itís clearly got to have something taken off the top to get it to sit lower, so is there any chance of a photo with the body off?

Luckily I had a spare tender have used my N chassis under the W, but Iíll now have a spare Johnson tender from the 4F. It does work out as an expensive kit but compared to the old Langley stuff itís a bargain!

Iíve just bought a Jinty at a good price on eBay so my next Shapeways buy will probably be a J50, but again itís a £50+ body by the time you buy all the bits from N Brass.

The pains of wanting stuff thatís not available RTR!

Dave

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »
Iíve made a start with my Q but havenít got round to adapting the chassis yet. Itís clearly got to have something taken off the top to get it to sit lower, so is there any chance of a photo with the body off?

I don't think a photo of my chassis will help. Normally I slowly remove bits, continually trial fitting, until the body sits right but Pedanticmongrel has a photo of an altered chassis on his FB page which I followed (afterwards I discovered it was for the prototype print). Consequently I removed way more than was needed and ended up having to build the chassis back up with plastic :( .
Ultimately there is actually very little that needs removing. What I did find was I had to have a play with the part of the boiler that is on the chassis to get it to blend better with the printed boiler. Luckily cabling along the boiler hides the join mostly.

Online Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:29 AM »
Thanks for the prompt response! The Q has sat on the shelf for a while now while I get on with a batch of signals for James Street and some rolling stock for both JS and my own layout.

When I put it together as a trial it seemed to sit about 1 - 1.5mm high on the chassis in comparison to the tender but I never thought of the interface with the moulded boiler. Yours looks perfectly acceptable, so no doubt I'll get there when I get back to it!

Dave

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »
The Q is definitely better than the old Hornby 1990s approach, which was renumbering the 4F in the 305xx series (Apologies to Hornby if i have got this wrong - but that's what one manufacturer did).

I have the parts for mine now. Can I ask where you got the "plumbing" from - the parts under the boiler on the left hand side that look like a westinghouse pump on its side.

By the sound of it, it would be better to ensure the print fits the chassis before fitting the detail, rather than the other way round.

BTW the parts for the Bullied Leader kit on Shapeways including two Tomix Bo chassis were over £160, so I'm not unhappy with the cost. And the N chassis was going under a W 3D print until i shattered the print! They are very touchy when you drop them on hard surfaces!

Best
Bob

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »
I have the parts for mine now. Can I ask where you got the "plumbing" from - the parts under the boiler on the left hand side that look like a westinghouse pump on its side.

By the sound of it, it would be better to ensure the print fits the chassis before fitting the detail, rather than the other way round.
I'm probably wrong but I think it's a steam reverser rather than a westinghouse pump. It is just 2 pieces of plastic rod with a hole drilled through the middle and a thinner bit of plastic rod slid through. Everything else is wire with a bit of fiddly soldering to achieve the 4 pipes entering the top of the reverser.
I would definitely ensure it fits properly before adding detail. Even now my body is a tight fit over the chassis.
Also if you do want to correct the footplate width error it's best to do it first.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »
Thanks Paul

I've got a really good close up that I'm going to use to get the  plumbing right - even if i have no idea what the parts do!
And when i looked at it again, that's the first time I've noticed the footplate narrowing.

Hmmm, did you leave the footplate steps full width - I see they are on the narrower part. Curses!!! It is only 0.5mm though. Its like the Slim Jim Cromptons. Will I notice it????
I never knew it was there before....

Best
Bob

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »

I've got a really good close up that I'm going to use to get the  plumbing right - even if i have no idea what the parts do!
And when i looked at it again, that's the first time I've noticed the footplate narrowing.
Hmmm, did you leave the footplate steps full width - I see they are on the narrower part. Curses!!! It is only 0.5mm though. Its like the Slim Jim Cromptons. Will I notice it????
I never knew it was there before....
I'm not sure if the print has been updated but on mine the steps were inset on the footplate rather than flush with the edge so weren't affected by the narrowing. It was a tough decision as to whether to narrow it or not as the print is brittle and I was scared of it disintegrating on me but I knew it was wrong so took the plunge and am glad I did.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »

I'm probably wrong but I think it's a steam reverser rather than a westinghouse pump. It is just 2 pieces of plastic rod with a hole drilled through the middle and a thinner bit of plastic rod slid through. Everything else is wire with a bit of fiddly soldering to achieve the 4 pipes entering the top of the reverser.
I would definitely ensure it fits properly before adding detail. Even now my body is a tight fit over the chassis.
Also if you do want to correct the footplate width error it's best to do it first.

You are right, It is a steam reverser, many Southern locos were fitted with them, the ones fitted to the Bullied pacifics being notorious for "wandering" the cut off indicator showing reverse when the loco would be galloping along at 60 plus in the opposite direction

Regards,

Alex 

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal