!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Valanced A4  (Read 8022 times)

Offline PolarStar

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Valanced A4
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2018, 04:36:39 PM »
I am at the moment a bit concerned at  the quality control of these locos they look superb ! and As for the Golden eagle in Apple Green the lining is superb ! But ! On Saturday having purchased one for a youngsters birthday present it was placed on the layout to run all instructions followed to the letter ! After a few minutes running it stopped and disappeared in a cloud of smoke and everything shorted No more running ! A quick mail and phone call to a very reputable dealer sorted problem an exchange was arranged . It seem they have had quite few of these valanced a A4,s back all liveries so be warned ! With this a model of Mallard purchased before Christmas which I had not run due to other commitments was tried  this ran but juddered badly and seemed to get very hot on feeling the tender this to has been returned ! HAs anyone experienced the same problems !! Its crying shame as it is beautiful model barring a few of comment above  . so please let me know if you have had the same problems .

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »
The problem I have found and witnessed on others Dapol models is jamming valve gear that can and does cause motor burnouts primarily due to the valve gear being squeezed during handling.

As a rule never touch the valve gear.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 06:50:01 PM »
I had one go up in smoke once (to be fair bought as a non-runner). It turned out to be the suppressor (I think that's what it is) that is fitted to the motor terminals so I cut it off. The loco has run faultlessly ever since...

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2018, 12:22:43 PM »
Has anyone replaced the double chimney with a single chimney ?

If so, do you have any tips ?

I'm worried about breaking off the whistle which is just in front of the chimney.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
I did this on one of my BR blue ones and it wasn't a problem. I seem to recall pushing the whistle out from below so it could be re-seated on the new chimney.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

ďWe have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.Ē Ė Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
Thanks a lot Alan.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »
Hi all, birthday time and looking to this one which is in stock at my local model shop (Peters Spares), any thoughts much appreciated.
DAPOL 2S-008-008 LNER A4 4468 MALLARD VALANCED BLUE N GAUGE

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »
Should be much the same as my Sea Eagle. Now I have it sorted it runs nicely enough, but I found that this particular one was better with a dcc chip other than the DCC 23, if you are going dcc.  I have 5 and some are sweet, some sound frankly awful.

Get the shop to run it for you to see how noisy it is, a slow run up and down wonít do, you need to see it over the full speed range. In my experience the noise generally comes from poorly balanced motors which cause the whole tender to vibrate on the rails above a certain speed.

If they will do it, the simplest way to find out is to remove the cardan shaft and run the motor disconnected from the loco over its speed range. If it rattles it will be a noisy runner, so try a different one. You might expect them to all be the same with the odd exception, but I find every one is different, with its own quirks.

They do seem to have problems with 1st radius settrack points, if you have those, especially LH ones, for some reason. Pony truck derails. I had to file some plastic off the inside of the cylinder blocks to make them work properly.

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2018, 11:25:47 AM »
Thanks for the replying, I am now a bit apprehensive. All my points are 1st radius settrack, would you say any locos with a 4 wheel pony truck may derail?

I only have 2 locos at the moment, a class 25 and a class 4, which Has a 2 wheel pony truck and runs over the points ok.

Also I donít know if the shop has the facility to run a loco at varying speeds, they do have a test track to run a loco slowly. I will ask though.

This maybe a bit off topic but what are the thoughts on this one please? Assuming of course I would not have problems derailing.

GRAHAM FARISH 372-184A PRINCESS CORONATION CLASS 46228 DUCHESS OF RUTLAND BR CRIMSON or indeed any Graham Farish. Are they better than Dapol?

I am now thinking about changing my 9 points if, as I build up my loco collection, I will get problems derailing.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »
The coronation is a beautiful loco, very smooth withlatest Bachmann (by Zimo) dcc decoder. I have two, the first did have problems with the points but after running it in, in both directions on the track ( so it sees both left and right hand curves) it takes the points ok. The second one took them OK from the start, though I didnít try it on the points before running in, after my experience with the first one.
Are you dcc or dc?
Other Farish locos with 4 wheel pony truck take the points no problem, but I would certainly avoid the n4n locos (ie 8 driving wheels) as I suspect they might not take the points. I have A1 and A2 though I am not so keen on the tender drives.
As to whether Farish are better than Dapol,  personally I prefer Farish as I donít like the Dapol tender drive with shaft from tender to loco. I only got my A4ís as there isnít much choice from Farish at the moment. The Dapolís are all noiser then my Farish locos.
However both Dapol and Farish locos can have their quality problems.
If you have gradients and/or long rakes of coaches, you may find you need to fit an extra pair of tyred driving wheels to Farish tender drive locos as their pulling power is not great. My A1 (Tornado) was supplied with an extra set to fit as an option, but the A2ís werenít. You can buy them from Bachmann spares. The loco drives are in my view the best solution when it comes to loco mechanics and are fine on my gradients, no problem at all with the Coronations.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:35:35 PM by Bramshot, Reason: Typo »

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply I am DCC. I have now decided to opt for the Farish as I really always wanted this one. I do have an incline which is slightly steeper than recommend but if there are problems I donít have to use it.
Off now to Peters Spares, should have it in half hour. :claphappy: :bounce:

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2018, 10:27:07 PM »
How did it go for you?

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2018, 10:47:17 PM »
Hi, thanks for your interest, yes went straight away and bought it, along with a zimo decoder. Couldnít believe how smoothly it ran from the start. Am working on scenery around track and have re-layed some other track so expected to have a few issues getting it going but it set off straight away, and the controllerbility was amazing even with my Hornby select I could get it to barely move, it took the 1st radius settrack points no trouble so that saves me some work.
Have 3 mk1 maroon coaches at the moment and it looks superb running around.
Will post a video when I get tidied up a bit.
 :thankyousign: :beers:

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
Good, a few more to get now!
The N is rather good as well.

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »
Feeling guilty about going away from the original topic so will continue with my own thread, Woodcock Woods in layout construction.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:24:47 PM by bob lawrence »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations