!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Steve's Carriage and Wagon Works  (Read 35608 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Steve's Carriage and Wagon Works
« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2020, 09:41:39 PM »
It's been quite from me the last couple of days. Following the stay at home order, I've relocated to my girlfriends so that she won't be on her own for the next three weeks. Naturally, some modelling bits and pieces came with me and progress on the teak rake is continuing.

Decals applied to the first side of the Buffet.

Both BTKs exist - the back one had just been rinsed following some minor remedial work.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #376 on: March 27, 2020, 04:41:04 PM »
As always Steve, lovely models but... this has to be one of the best quotes so far during all this CV19 stuff:

ďFollowing the stay at home order, I've relocated to my girlfriends so that she won't be on her own for the next three weeks.Ē

This certainly made me chuckle.  Men - you got to love us!  :D

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #377 on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:12 PM »
Well a few days of settling in and adjusting to this new lifestyle saw little modelling done. However, I have now started the push towards finishing the two Brake Thirds for the Cambridge set. The teaking has been completed and, weather permitting, I'll be able to seal the oil paints tomorrow. Sorry no photos of the coach bodies as the light isn't good enough to show the teak effect.

I've also made a start on the bogies and assembled all the batter boxes and brake gear.

You may have noticed that one bogie has also been assembled. I've got another three to make - here is the flat etch.

Despite appearances, they're not too difficult to assemble (but are time consuming). With luck, tomorrow will see the other three assembled. Then I just need to order some more wheelsets as I've run out!

Offline Mike J

• Awards
« Reply #378 on: April 01, 2020, 09:26:36 AM »
It's been quite from me the last couple of days. Following the stay at home order, I've relocated to my girlfriends so that she won't be on her own for the next three weeks. Naturally, some modelling bits and pieces came with me and progress on the teak rake is continuing.

Decals applied to the first side of the Buffet.

Both BTKs exist - the back one had just been rinsed following some minor remedial work.

Your teak paint is quite exquisite, and I think I'll try out your method on my next coach.
Thanks for the inspiration Steve.
Oh, and nice avatar by the way  ;)
Duchesses are red, A4s are blue,
126 for the A4, The Duchess couldn't do

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: April 01, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »
Steve, forgive me if you've already covered it in the thread...but it's a long thread now.  Can you divulge the type of solder you are using for assembly of the etches?

Best

Scott
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #380 on: April 01, 2020, 10:33:58 AM »
Your teak paint is quite exquisite, and I think I'll try out your method on my next coach.
Thanks for the inspiration Steve.

Thanks Mike, I can post up how I do this in the tutorials section if people are interested.

Oh, and nice avatar by the way  ;)

I thought you might approve of it! I'm sure you can remember the fun we had when Yorkshire failed and had to be posed on NoEL for Tony to photograph.

Below is the other photo Tony took that day, my K3 hauling an exquisite GCR bogie fish van. I believe that it was scratchbuilt, but the identity of the builder eludes me at present!  :smiley-laughing:

Many thanks for tolerating my models gate crashing NoEL on more than one occasion!

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #381 on: April 01, 2020, 10:37:46 AM »
I can post up how I do this in the tutorials section if people are interested.

I'd be very interested Steve

Lovely, some very unique stock there.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #382 on: April 01, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »
Steve, forgive me if you've already covered it in the thread...but it's a long thread now.  Can you divulge the type of solder you are using for assembly of the etches?

Hi Scott,

My solder of choice for model making is 145 degree and I use 9% phosphoric acid flux to get it to flow. Both can be obtained from Eileens Emporium here: https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=1124&name=straight-wire&Itemid=189

While the solder melts at 145 degrees, I generally use my soldering iron at above 300 degrees to ensure that I can heat the etches sufficiently to encourage the solder to flow into the joints.

For track building, I use electrical leaded solder and Fry's flux paste - you need to give it a good scrub to remove all the flux though!

Hope this helps.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #383 on: April 01, 2020, 10:40:30 AM »
Lovely, some very unique stock there.

Thanks Dave, the K3 is mine while the GCR fish van is Mike's brilliant work. I've build my own since, but from an old etch that was shot down from 4mm scale (Mike's is scratchbuilt). The layout is The North of England Line, which I've been allowed to guest operate on (with thanks to the Scarborough clue) when our paths cross at exhibitions.

I'll see about writing a tutorial later.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:42:18 AM by Stevie DC »

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #384 on: April 01, 2020, 10:41:40 AM »
Thank you sir, most helpful.

How do you fancy making a video of your etch building process with the soldering?

Best

Scott
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #385 on: April 01, 2020, 10:48:11 AM »

How do you fancy making a video of your etch building process with the soldering?

Hi Scott,

No problem. I'm afraid I couldn't make a decent video with the equipment I have here. Besides, I don't think I could improve on the video where I first learnt soldering techniques (with a few 121 lessons from the master himself).

While this is covering 4mm locos, the techniques are the same. Set aside some time if you want to watch all of it though, its five and a half hours long!

Offline Mike J

• Awards
« Reply #386 on: April 01, 2020, 11:01:39 AM »
Thanks Steve,

I'd be interested in the teak paint tutorial, and I've no doubt others would be as well.

As for the bogie fish van, bridges and scenery....I couldn't possibly comment  ;)

It was a good day well spent on the layout, you're always welcome.

Now, I'll let you get back to your bogies!  :laugh3:

All the best,
Mike
Duchesses are red, A4s are blue,
126 for the A4, The Duchess couldn't do

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #387 on: April 01, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »

I've also made a start on the bogies and assembled all the batter boxes

Sounds to me the move to your girlfriends has resulted in a diet I'd go nowhere near.
Bogies and batter - no thank you! :no:

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #388 on: April 01, 2020, 11:46:04 AM »

Hi Scott,

No problem. I'm afraid I couldn't make a decent video with the equipment I have here. Besides, I don't think I could improve on the video where I first learnt soldering techniques (with a few 121 lessons from the master himself).

While this is covering 4mm locos, the techniques are the same. Set aside some time if you want to watch all of it though, its five and a half hours long!

Thanks Steve.

I've joined the 2mmFS society specifically to get access to and build some etched kits.

Best

Scott.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #389 on: April 01, 2020, 07:57:32 PM »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158%