!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works  (Read 28078 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works
« Reply #300 on: September 25, 2019, 07:38:54 PM »
I was aware that track is fiddle yard track but it just looks weird (a bit like the track in my Waddingtons 'Railroader' board game) ;D

Online Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2019, 09:16:34 AM »
The first test for the 51' stock roofs got printed yesterday. It needed quite a bit of sanding to fit, which I'll take into account on the next attempt.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2019, 09:45:22 PM »
A visit to Scale Forum in Stoke Mandeville yesterday provided me with the opportunity to buy some bits and pieces. Following Tim Watson's advice, I purchased some 4mm scale long handrail knobs to represent the queen posts for the turnbuckle underframe. The underframe is 10 thou guitar string while the buckles are bits of phosphor bronze wire, wrapped around a 0.8mm rod and then soldered before cutting off the excess wire. These were then squashed to make them oval and soldered to the guitar wire. It looks reasonably effective in reality but a bit messy in the photos. I may revisit these but will leave it a couple of days before I decide.

The 'V' hangers are 0.6mm brass wire, bent to shape and then filed flat before drilling a 0.3mm hole (yes, I broke two drill bits!) to eventually take a wire to represent the linkage. Again crude, but doesn't look too bad in reality.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: October 08, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »
It's been awhile since I last posted, but things have still be moving forward.

I discovered that the 2mm Association sells and etch for the battery boxes (not supplied on the third brake etch!), voltage regulator and "v" hangers. I also purchased some turned brass vacuum brake cylinders at the same time. This left the dynamo being the only under frame component unaccounted for. I ended up turning these, using needle files, out of 2mm brass rod in my minidrill. Once turned, I cross drilled a 1mm hole through the dynamo and soldered a piece of 1mm brass rod into place. Some cutting and filing saw the results tidied up and the 1mm rod flattened. This was then bent into shape and soldered to the under frame, along with the other components.

You may have noticed that I've only fitted battery boxes to one side of each coach. Information differs as to whether this had battery boxes on both sides, but the photos available to me suggests that they didn't.

The second of the brake thirds' basic body has now been constructed, but it is lagging behind the other coaches at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:48:12 PM by Stevie DC »

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: October 09, 2019, 12:33:43 PM »
Steve;

Ultima/Etched Pixels do the underframe bits and pieces as well.

Keep up the excellent work!

martyn

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
Terrific work as always Steve, I look forward to seeing the finished coaches and perhaps running them behind some suitable motive power.

Roy

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »
Steve,

The Etched Pixel Thompsons have the battery boxes on one side only.

Regards,

Roy

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: October 20, 2019, 07:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and comments guys.

Thinking ahead to when the 51' stock is ready for painting, I've been experimenting on some slightly damaged 61' stock that was donated to me. The Dapol Gresley's were originally maroon and the Minitrix one was one of the plain tan plastic ones.

The basic method was to use oil paints (burnt umber, burnt sienna and yellow ochre) and put tiny spots in random amounts onto each panel before melding everything together using a OO brush. The first two coaches were sprayed with a base coat of Tamiya desert yellow, the third one with Humbrol natural wood and the Minitrix coach was left in its plastic state.

These two are a little on the light side, very much as the unvarnished coach undergoing restoration at NYMR looks. I'm going to play around with tinted Tamiya varnish to try and get the richness of the colours (as was done on the real things).

This one has turned out a little darker than I intended - again I'll play around with tinted varnish and see what happens.

The Minitrix coach is, I think, the best of the bunch. However, I'm going to have to mask up the windows before varnishing as, try as I might, I cannot get them to come out!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:23:06 AM by Stevie DC »

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: October 20, 2019, 08:01:15 PM »
 :greatpicturessign:

Absolutely fantastic Steve  :claphappy:

A tip a fellow forum member gave me was to use brush applied liquid poly glue, brush a bit around the glued glazing section, it softens the plastic HOPEFULLY enough to be able to prise them out. Might be worth a whirl, masking that lot wont be much fun  :-[

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: October 20, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
All looking very good. WRT lightness and darkness, especially with tinted varnishes, probably worth judging only in daylight?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #310 on: October 21, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

Craig, I ended up masking the windows using Humbrol Maskol, which seems to have done the job.

I've tinted the Dapol brake composite using one third Tamiya clear red and two thirds gloss clear, followed by a very light coat of thinned clear yellow.

Before:

After:

With the first side protected by the clear coats, I 'teaked' the other side.

Offline 5944

• N Gauge Society Number: 9265
    • Twitter
    • My Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
Very impressive work Steve. Can't wait to see how you tackle the fine lining on each section of beading, especially the arrow ends  ;)

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
Very impressive work Steve. Can't wait to see how you tackle the fine lining on each section of beading, especially the arrow ends  ;)

Thanks 5944, I've lined them out using my ruling/bow pen (I didn't bother trying to represent the arrow ends), but still have to pick out the door handles and bits when I have a moment. I'll post a photo once I'm done.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here