!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 3D printed coal load for Peco MGR wagons  (Read 1358 times)

Offline willike1958

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12585
    • Awards
3D printed coal load for Peco MGR wagons
« on: August 27, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »
I'd like to run one of my MGR rakes of 30 wagons loaded. Having looked through various threads on creating coal loads, I've tentatively concluded that the best way to go might be 3D printed formers to capture the load shape sprinkled with very fine real coal. Has anyone tried this approach? Would anyone be interested in a small commission to develop and produce the formers?
Some typical load shapes can be seen via the links belows:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55879910@N02/6277683605/in/photolist-ayJLCe-gyFia4-dUTfzq-bsFEwK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Penmanshiel_Tunnel_(coal_train_on_new_alignment)..jpg
http://www.petertandy.co.uk/58023_mgr_hat_3785.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55879910@N02/9558916762/in/photolist-fyFWVG-dnewHu-gJqVHV-g8GVdB-dvPq5E-e45QLz-e49q2D-akoVz5-b9DEm4-iu7kDD-dcepw2-9sMB4m-e5GUBg-dUKfeY-cWGf97-dNmSYp-d1Tqrs-fq9nxU-foCt9R-foSK4Y
Kevin

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: 3D printed coal load for Peco MGR wagons
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 02:55:01 PM »
Interesting initiative. Many of the bulk loading facilities for MGR trains produced their own distinctive load shape which was then more or less identical for all the wagons sent from that point. There might have been some shift variations due to operator differences. At the smaller loading points trains would be split for loading so a train could be made up of wagons loaded on more than one shift, so with small variations. Looking at your first tagged photo the loads are remarkably uniform.

3D printing might be a good way to get the initial shape but home made resin casts from a 3D printed original would probably be a good value alternative.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Pete @ EGLM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 7447
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:23:35 AM »
Parkside do coal loads for Minitrix HAA MGR wagons.  They are available from the NGS shop, if this is any help.  In my opinion they look better than the loads Peco supply for their HAAs which seem to be designed for the canopied variants

Pete @ EGLM

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 12:45:19 PM »
Thanks for your comments guys. I'm not convinced by the photos I've seen of Parkside loads. The resin cast approach seems like a good idea. I'll continue to mull this over, though if anyone else has any ideas please feel free to share them.
Kevin

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
Bit late but Ten Commandments (http://www.cast-in-stone.co.uk/shop/index.htm) do lovely MGR loads and also HTA loads.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 08:40:50 PM »
Better late than never! Thanks for this Alan. I'll take a close look at these and see if they fit the bill.
Kevin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »
Having bought some ballast loads for my Dapol hoppers from Ten Commandments I can vouch for their excellent service.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal