!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 231702 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3765 on: December 05, 2019, 06:35:18 AM »
Thanks Graham.  I'll order some and try it out.  I notice that Scale Scenes recommend address labels for the window frames.  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3766 on: December 05, 2019, 07:17:24 PM »
Today was a free day.  We decided against having a play day because we are going to the U3A Christmas Dinner tomorrow and there will plenty to do there.  So, as the weather was fine, although there was a cold wind, I decided that today would be a garden jobs day.  That gave me plenty of time for a session in the Train Shed before coffee.

The goods area walls are now firmly glued into place and look quite good. The black paint on the baseboard is sufficiently textured to have the appearance of  being churned up by road vehicles.  It isnít easy to see in the photographs, but I think you can just about make it out here.

I did some measuring up for the new buildings, when I finally get round to completing them.  Then I had an operating session.  First on the scene was Forthampton Grange with the 8.31 am for Worcester.

Then 80119 arrived from Worcester with a local train.

The next picture gives an overall view of the two trains in the station with the new wall installed around the goods areas.

Later, 46443 arrived with a local train from Aylesbury, while 5572 waited at Platform 4 with a train for the Shipton Branch.

While they were standing in the station, the sound of an approaching express was heard and Royal Ulster Rifleman appeared at speed.

Towards the end of the session, 6417 arrived from Evenbury with its ĎBí set.

Quite a few things arrived in the post today.  First, there was the 1mm card for the Scale Scene kits, together with the transparent film for the windows.  Then some Pritt Stick that I had ordered for the kits arrived.  After that, the laser-cut fencing for the town arrived (yes we had two posts today).  So there is no excuse for me to delay starting the construction of the houses, shops and cottages.  Except that, on advice, I have now ordered some A4 labels to print onto (making the Pritt Stick redundant).

I toiled away at the block paving on the drive.  I need to run the pressure washer over it but, first, I have to remove all the moss from between the blocks because it makes a real mess if itís left there when I use the pressure washer.  By the time it was starting to get dark (some cloud had spread over the sky by then) I was thoroughly worn out, although I am only about one third of the way through it.  So I didnít get another session in the Train Shed.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3767 on: December 05, 2019, 07:43:18 PM »
Your station area is starting to take shape very nicely Laurence.
And Iím glad I wasnít the only one working the land today. We have had, until  an hour ago, 4 dry days.
As our allotment drains excellently, the ground has been ok to dig over and so, for the last two afternoons, I have been busy with my spade. We also picked (in December no less ) our last tomatoes which have continued to ripen in the greenhouse.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3768 on: December 06, 2019, 06:28:09 AM »
Your station area is starting to take shape very nicely Laurence.
And Iím glad I wasnít the only one working the land today. We have had, until  an hour ago, 4 dry days.
As our allotment drains excellently, the ground has been ok to dig over and so, for the last two afternoons, I have been busy with my spade. We also picked (in December no less ) our last tomatoes which have continued to ripen in the greenhouse.
I'm glad you like the station area.  It is taking a long time, but I'll get there in the end.
Your tomatoes have done very well.  Unfortunately, we have to clear ours out in October so that I can get the greenhouse ready for winter mode because we put all the frost tender plants from the garden in there for the winter.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3769 on: December 06, 2019, 08:25:25 PM »
Today, being Friday, was the day of my weekly chores.  However, there was much more to do today.  It was the day of the U3A Christmas Dinner so I had to get everything done before coffee time.  But I did manage a quick operating session in the Train Shed.  Unfortunately, 6713 decided to play up a bit today, mainly in the branch run-arounds.  I also had trouble with 61664, Liverpool, but that wasnít a loco problem.  When selecting Route 18, I accidently selected Loco 18 (which doesnít exist) instead and so Route 18 didnít get selected and 61664 caused a short circuit by trying to negotiate the trailing points from the wrong side.  I also had a problem with 5572 because its rear coach derailed and caused a short circuit, which wiped the loco from the operating consoleís memory.  I had to switch the console off and then on again to regain control again.  Otherwise, everything worked well.

When we returned later in the afternoon, I took the opportunity to take a picture of the packets of new fencing that arrived yesterday.

The hooped fencing is for the park where the playground will go and the wooden palings are for the cottage gardens.  The barrow crossings will link the milk depot to Platform 4 and the good depot to Platform 3.  I may be able to get on with some more scenic work tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3770 on: Yesterday at 06:12:36 PM »
Today, we walked into Hessle as usual on a Saturday morning.  When we returned, we had coffee and then we needed to go out in the car.  Our grandson and his partner had requested some house plants as a Christmas present, but it is difficult to send such things through the post, let alone gift wrap them, so we decided to visit a garden centre and buy them some garden centre vouchers that they could spend on plants at a local garden centre where they live.  However, first we had to go and pick up some train tickets

One of our long-standing friends is ill in Hospital in Milton Keynes, so we have decided to make a day trip on Tuesday to see him.  I booked the tickets online using my Northern Rail App, as usual but, possibly because one of the legs is via Virgin Trains, I could not download the tickets onto my mobile phone (of course, by Tuesday, it wonít be Virgin anymore but Avanti).  The first problem was that I couldnít pay using PayPal, although the option was offered, but nothing happened when I selected it.  In the end, I paid by credit card, but then the option to download the tickets was missing.  Worse still, the only option was to collect them from a ticket machine, but the ticket machine at Hessle station was not listed.  So we had to go out to Brough for the tickets.

When I collected the tickets, worse was to follow.  There were no less than 12 tickets printed and, when I removed them all from the machine, I needed to check that they were all there.  Trying to sort through a handful of tickets like that and check them proved quite tricky.  In the end, I discovered that one was missing, one of the outward travel tickets.  By that time someone else had used the machine.  Fortunately, at that point, I spotted a ticket on the floor.  It was looking rather grubby but, thankfully, it was the missing ticket.  Altogether there were two collection receipts, one for the bus and one for the train, four travel tickets, two out and two back, four seat reservation tickets, one for each train and two bus tickets.

I went back to the car and rechecked the tickets, naming them and giving them to Celia in pairs.  What a performance.  It was made worse by the fact that I had booked PlusBus for Milton Keynes, forgetting that our bus passes would have sufficed, although at £1.90 each for travel all day, it wasnít much of an overspend.  After that, we went to the garden centre and then returned home for something to eat.

In the afternoon, I managed a session in the Train Shed.  The first thing I did was to try my camera with the aperture set to the minimum, f8.  I had been reading the instruction book and thought I would see if I could get a better depth of focus, without having to think about focus stacking.  I took a picture of the general station area.

I focused on the middle coaches parked in Platform 1 and I think the overall effect is somewhat better than I have been able to achieve up to now.  In future, I will try taking the pictures from further away and then cropping them down to cover the area of interest.

After that, I turned my attention to the hoop-topped fencing for the playground.  I thought I would try some test holes in a blank area of the baseboard to try to perfect the technique.  It was much trickier than I had anticipated to get the holes in the baseboard at the correct spacing.  First, I tried measuring the distance across the posts and then drilling the holes.  Then I tried marking the holes against the posts by lying a fence section down on the baseboard.  In neither case was I happy with the result, partly because the tip of the drill moves a fraction of a millimetre on the ply surface when starting the hole.  I also had trouble with the drill size.  The recommended size is 0.8mm and I already had a 0.7mm drill bit in the drill, but the holes were no where near big enough.  I tried 0.8mm but the holes were still not big enough.  In the end, I had to go up to a 1mm drill in order for the posts to fit comfortably. 

It was at that stage that I decided it would be virtually impossible to get the holes drilled correctly along the perimeter of the playground, which involves reaching across to the far side of the baseboard.  Then I hit upon the idea of creating a template, using thick PVC sheeting.  I was able to drill the holes in the sheeting much more accurately on my worktable and the fence section fitted the template quite well.  So I used the template to make a row of holes in the baseboard and fitted the fence section to the row of holes.  Hereís the fence, mounted in the row of holes alongside the template. 

Behind, you can see where I drilled the original two rows of holes, which I have circled to highlight them.  So far so good, but I then thought about how I would be able to continue the fencing sections and get the holes of each section at the correct spacing from the original ones.  In the end, I found a piece of sheeting that was long enough to drill all the holes along the longest side of the playground.  So, all I need to do now is to cut a strip off that sheet and then drill holes all the way along it. 

Of course, that isnít the end of the story because I will have to fit some gates into the sides, probably at least one gate on each of the two sides.  The dimensions of the gates are given in the instruction, but I may need to experiment a bit to see how things fit in practically.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #3771 on: Yesterday at 07:03:33 PM »
Laurence, by the time the ticketing was complete, did you not wish you'd just planned to drive? No wonder the roads remained jammed! For people traveling by rail every day I suppose it's quite easy, but I've always been a bit confounded by the booking process.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3772 on: Yesterday at 08:55:27 PM »
Laurence, by the time the ticketing was complete, did you not wish you'd just planned to drive? No wonder the roads remained jammed! For people traveling by rail every day I suppose it's quite easy, but I've always been a bit confounded by the booking process.
Leon
Normally, I just get the ticket on my phone App, so it's all very easy.  But this one was a real trauma.  :thumbsdown:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3773 on: Today at 05:09:18 PM »
Today was a big day for us.  Not that anything notable happened, but we are having a new bedroom carpet fitted tomorrow and we had a lot of preparatory work to do.  We have a set of pine wardrobes with top boxes that are screwed together with spacers to ensure the doors will open.  The fitters will move the wardrobes to fit the carpet, but I had to separate them and remove the top boxes and stack them in the dining room, first emptying each one and then refilling it once relocated.  In the meantime, Celia emptied the contents of each wardrobe in turn and took the clothes upstairs to lay them out on the beds.

Once the top boxes were removed, we had coffee.  I then had to remove each of eight drawers in turn and stack them in the dining room, while Celia removed various bits and pieces from the bedroom.  Then I had to remove all the drawers from the dressing table and we carried the whole thing bodily between us into the dining room.  There will not be much dining done in there for a couple of days.  Last to go was the blanket chest, this time into the snug (Celiaís work room).  We will sleep in the bedroom tonight and then, in the morning, we will have to strip the bed and split it down to move it into the sitting room.  The mattress will be the big problem because it is a pocketed sprung mattress and is extremely heavy.  We may have to resort to the piano wheels to move it and leave it in the hallway.  Hopefully, by the time the carpet men arrive, towards midday, we should be all ready for them.

Once that was all done, I managed a session in the Train Shed.  Yesterday I decided to make a long template for the fencing but, this morning, I realised that it would be unnecessary.  Each section of fencing has four posts but, where two sections join together, the first post of the second section needs to be removed to avoid the need for double posts between the sections.  I hit upon the idea of using a spare drill bit to position the template over the last hole of the first section and then drill the next set of holes following on from it.  I tried the method out on the spare area of baseboard and it worked a treat.

The question then was, would I be able to repeat the method in the proper location for the fencing.  Well, by the time I had completed three sections, I was quite happy with the way things were going.

So I soldiered on and, by the time I reached the end of the long side of the playground field, I was able to leave a space for a gate and cut the next section in half to finish the side off.  Finally, I added the gate, although itís not yet fitted properly. 

I will need to paint the fencing and I think I will go for black.  The ideal way to paint it would be with my airbrush, so I think I will leave the fence roughly in place at the moment until I have finished all the fencing and then spray it all at once before fixing it permanently into place.  I may insert a set of vehicle gates round the corner for a mower to access the field, but Iíll sleep on it.

I have plenty of extra fencing, so I will think about other areas of the layout where it could be used.  The grass area opposite the original fencing may be a candidate for fencing in the same style.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25%