!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 329046 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #4575 on: September 21, 2020, 07:36:38 PM »
This morning, I had a brief session in the garage before we went for a walk.  But first, I needed to visit the Train Shed to collect a coach and a ventilated van to test the newly laid track.  While I was in the Train Shed, I took the opportunity to reset the decoder of 5572 (see Post 4573).  Just to recap, I always program on the main except in the rare case when a loco loses its ID and I can't locate it, in which case there is no option but to put it on the program track.  I moved Loco 17 (5572) out of the Shipton run-around and set it to Program on Main, then entered the value of 33 into CV8.  I have since learned that it is necessary to switch off the power and then switch it on again to complete the reset.  I followed the reset by reprogramming CVs 2,3,4,5 and 6 back to their original values and all was well, except that it was now running in the wrong direction.   I set CV29 to a value of 7, 1 (reverse motor) + 2 (28 steps) + 4 (dual DC and DCC) and that did the trick.

Then I returned to the garage and propelled first the van and then the coach around the test track in both directions.  There was one joint where the van derailed at very high speeds (probably equivalent to scale speed of well over 100mph), but at more realistic speeds, all was fine.

After that, we went for a nice walk in the country park, returning via the river.  When we had finished coffee, I had a little more time before our committee Zoom meeting so I had another brief trip to the Train Shed.  This time I reset Loco 16 (4571) but this was a little more disappointing.  There was still some of the stuttering present afterwards.  I later rechecked 5572 and confirmed that the problem hadnít been completely eradicated.  I tried fiddling with CV50, but to no avail.

After the meeting it was dinnertime and the postman brought me two packages.  The first contained the Scottish Region timetable from 1962 that I had ordered to complete the story about the Dinsdaleís trip to Scotland.  The second was the twin standard 2-6-2 tanks, both numbered 82029 (but only at the moment).

After dinnertime, I worked in the garden for awhile and then I returned to the garage.  I unpacked the first loco and here it is sitting on the rails of the test track.

I returned to the Train Shed and collected my Cobalt DC power supply, which has a 9V output, suitable for running in, although 6V would probably be more appropriate.  So I was able to trial test 82029 around the test track.

After that, I unpacked its twin, but things werenít quite so rosy.  It kept derailing at the trailing points on the left of the picture.  I reversed it and it ran bunker first, which was somewhat better, but still it occasionally derailed at the same points.  However, I was able to get a video of the two locos running in a tail chase. 

I had a go at realigning the track feeding into that point with some, but not total, success.  However, the speeds of the locos was somewhat greater that they would ever run on the layout.  So, if I get a DC controller, it may be possible to run them at more realistic speeds without mishap.  Both locos ran perfectly in the reverse direction.  Both locos are DCC ready so, when they are run in, I will fit a couple of decoders.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4576 on: September 21, 2020, 09:01:54 PM »
Laurence, it seemed to me that the forward running loco was pausing, ever so slightly, entering the left point. No?

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4577 on: September 22, 2020, 06:32:50 AM »
Laurence, it seemed to me that the forward running loco was pausing, ever so slightly, entering the left point. No?
Actually, Leon, both locos were having a little head-shaking at that point in the clockwise direction.  However, both were OK in the reverse direction.  I think the problem is the tight radius and alignment at that point.  I did try to realign the track there but I may have to take up the whole length and cut another slightly longer piece.  I'll keep you posted.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4578 on: September 22, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
It was interesting to hear the different sound the '3MT' locomotives made when running through the turnouts.

That's certainly a useful test track.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4579 on: September 22, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
I only had a brief encounter with the Train Shed this morning.  We began the day as usual with a trip to J Sainsbury, which, for some reason, took a lot longer than normal.  However, before we went I did have time for my brief encounter.  First thing, I decided to order a simple DC controller for the test track and I also thought about some decoders for the 3MT tanks, once they are run in.  They are ready fitted with 6-pin sockets, so itís just a question of replacing the blanking card with a decoder.  My visit to the Train Shed was to ascertain what, if any, stock of decoders I have.  I turns out that I have one Zimo MX617N.  I would always like to keep a spare in hand, so I have ordered two more of the same.  The controller I have ordered is a Gaugemaster Combi 12v 1Amp Single Track Controller with Transformer, which should be sufficient for testing and running-in purposes.

After our shopping trip, we went off to the gyn and then returned for a late coffee.  While we were out, we had a delivery of aluminium tubes that I had ordered for the raised beds.  When we moved here, six years ago, I brought all the aluminium tubes that I had been using at our previous house.  However, they were all of the wrong size and I have been using the old adage of Ďmake do and mendí ever since.  But, this summer, I decided that I really did need to update my systems and so I ordered a new set of tubes.  I still have to order netting and fastenings but, at least, I have made a start.  Anyway, before dinnertime, I moved all the tubes round into the back garden.

After dinnertime, I strimmed around the raised beds and then cut the grass.  While I was doing that, Celia had been mixing home made compost with sharp sand to add to one of our ornamental beds.  So an hourís table tennis was a great relief to both of us, followed by a cup of tea in the summerhouse.  After that, while Celia distributed the grass cuttings as mulch, I mixer her some more sharp sand and compost.  By that time we were ready for a pair of teeth (Iím sorry Iíll read that again Ė aperitif), again in the summerhouse.  I suspect that it might be the last time we use the summerhouse this year, at least in summer mode.  Then I made chips from home-grown potatoes which are SO delicious, unlike anything you can buy.

Iím sorry there are no pictures today, but hereís an old video of what I hope to run tomorrow.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4580 on: September 24, 2020, 06:34:35 AM »
This morning was the expected grey morning and we began, as usual, with a walk into Hessle to the butchers.  Then, after an early coffee, we went off to the gym.  On the way home, we called in at Waitrose for another six bottles of wine, taking advantage of the generous £8 off if I spend more that £40.  That means I get six bottles of good South African wine for less than £6.50 a bottle.

In the afternoon, we went to the first U3A table tennis session for six months.  As long as we keep to no more than six players, we are allowed to play.  Then, after we arrived home again, I managed a running session in the Train Shed.  I ran the sequence that I posted yesterday.  The first picture was taken at 6.30am.  Here you can see Cranmore Hall at Platform 3 with the early morning train from Hereford to Paddington and, nearest the camera. 5572 with the first branch passenger of the day, headed for Norton.

The next picture was taken at ten past seven, with 46443 standing at Platform 3 while Tiverton Castle rushed through Platform 2 with the DOWN Dragon Beach Express.

The final picture was taken at ten minutes to eight, just after Stanier Class 5, 45206, had arrived at the creamery with the morning milk train.

In other news, my two Zimo decoders arrived in the post and are now awaiting the completion of running-in of the two BR standard 3MTs.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4581 on: September 24, 2020, 07:26:23 PM »
A wet day at the seaside

Today was our traditional playday and we decided to go to Hornsea.  However, as we left home, the rain was beginning to fall and it became quite heavy on the way there.  But, by the time we arrived, things were looking up and the rain had almost stopped.  We had a cup of coffee, but the management attitude was quite draconian and we werenít allowed to look at the cake selection.  After coffee, we walked along the front as far as we could in a northerly direction and then back along the lower level.  The roar of the breakers was quite awesome and, towards the end, we had to dodge the columns of spray from the waves.

We called in at a local Alfa garage on the way home because one of out dipped headlights had failed.  However, he need a while to look at it, so we returned home for dinnertime and then I took the car back in the early afternoon.  It did give me time to walk up to Waitrose, a distance of only five furlongs (I paced it out).  On my way back to the garage, there was a mother and father of a thunderstorm.  Fortunately, I was able to shelter under a fir tree that was overhanging from someoneís front garden.  By the time the storm had finished, the road was white with hailstones and cars were having difficulty ascending the small slope.

I had planned to have a good session in the garage working on the baseboards.  But, by the time I returned, time was getting short.  However, I made a start and, firstly, had a look at fitting Wago 221 connectors to the droppers from the power joiners.

Unfortunately, I was not sure how to secure them.  There are mountings available, but a little guidance from forum members might come in handy.  Then I had a look at where I would fit the two Cobalt Digital IP servos for the points.

I didnít actually achieve very much today, but I think that tomorrow, I may begin by ripping up the curved track between the two points and re-laying it to prevent the misbehaviour of the two locos when entering the trailing turnout.  There is no hurry to get the board up and running yet because the DC controller will probably not arrive until Monday or Tuesday.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4582 on: September 25, 2020, 07:32:48 PM »
Friday is our day for walking into Hessle to the butchers.  It is also my weekly chores day.  Before we set off, I completed some of the simpler chores and, in addition, managed to order some mounting brackets for my Wago 221 connectors.

Each mounting plate will carry up to three, triple connectors.  Then, as we were about to set off it came on to rain.  However, nothing daunted, we put on a brave face and ventured out.  It rained for a few minutes and even looked as though it might turn into a downpour but, fortunately, it soon abated and we only had light rain for the rest of our journey into Hessle, tailing off when we reached the butchers.  After coffee, I carried on with the chores, which took my up to dinnertime.  The postman arrived straight after dinner with a chunky package.  It turned out to be the little DC controller I had ordered for the test track.

In the afternoon, I had to sort out the U3A membership secretary, but I did have time for a quick foray down to the Train Shed.  I ran the next timetable cycle, including the first real test in anger of the revised Dapol uncoupling arrangements.  It seemed to work very well.

The revised system is to use a Dapol coupling on both the loco and the brake van.  Perhaps, tomorrow, I will get a chance to try out the new DC controller.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4583 on: September 26, 2020, 07:28:11 AM »
The brake van seems to have been involved in a serious accident?  :'(

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4584 on: September 26, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »
The brake van seems to have been involved in a serious accident?  :'(
I hadn't noticed that before. :dunce:  It must have happened when I fitted the Dapol coupling.  It hasn't affecteced its running qualities.  I must fix it. :hmmm:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4585 on: September 26, 2020, 10:13:42 AM »
Nowt that an 'eavy 'ammer can't cure.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4586 on: September 26, 2020, 06:22:15 PM »
Celia has an appointment to see an ophthalmic consultant next month and so our early walk this morning was through the country park to the clinic, which is nearby, to check its exact location.  Then, after coffee, I picked beans, raspberries and blackberries.  I donít think there will be any more blackberries, but we may get a few more raspberries next week.  The runner beans are starting to be productive again, although the climbing beans are just about finished.

After dinner, I filled another barrowload of gravel for Celia and then got the car out of the garage so that I could put up my worktable for the test track baseboard.  I rigged up the little DC controller and tested it, ready to run-in the two new locos. 

Then I set the locos running.  You can just about make out the locos shaking their heads at the dodgy point joint.  You can also just about make out another rough track joint at the lower right.

On examination of the latter, I found that the inside Peco joiner was hardly on the straight section of track.  I tried to slide it along, but it was obviously not fitted correctly and came off, all twisted.

After that, I continued with the running-in and the roughness at that track joint was slightly worse without the joiner.  However, I think a new joiner will cure the problem.  Here you can see I have placed my Swiss Army Knife under the lowest of the two sides and there was an immediate improvement in running.

When the running-in was finished (one hour in each direction) I packed everything away and put the car back in the garage.  Tomorrow, I will have a go at sorting out the rail joints and then, if there is time, I will fit the DCC decoders to the locos and test them on the main layout.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4587 on: September 26, 2020, 07:39:50 PM »
That looks like a useful testing session.  I'm an enthusiast for Gaugemaster controllers and have one of these little 'Combi' ones as well as the trusty 1980s 'Model D'.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4588 on: Yesterday at 07:54:36 PM »
Thwarted Again

I had hoped to have a nice long session in the garage today, sorting out the couple of issues with the test track.  We began with a nice walk into Hessle and back along the river.  The water was very low and we had a bit of a stroll along the pebble beach.  After coffee, I set to work harvesting.  I lifted two roots of potatoes, pulled up the remaining turnips and beetroot and lifted some carrots.  Then I pulled two more cabbages for shredding and freezing.  After that, I picked tomatoes and peppers.  That should have left me plenty of time to work in the garage.  However, I have had problems with my Outlook calendar recently and I thought I would just give it a tweak to get everything to my liking.

But that was my big mistake.  As a matter of course, I discovered that I needed to change the default Email account.  Well, I tried that, but nothing happened.  I had another couple of goes, but to no effect.  So I thought I would close Outlook and then relaunch it.  Thatís when my troubles really started.  It refused to open, with an error message that there was a problem loading the files.  I struggled and struggled, wrestling with all sorts of advice, but to no avail.  By dinnertime I was in a right lather, having totally lost my Email utility. 

During dinner, I tried to work out a way forward, but after dinner, I was still none the wiser.  Fortunately, I back up my Email files regularly and I backed up the current one before trying an archived older version, but it was still no good.  Eventually, I came across some advice to delete my Outlook profile, although when I looked later to see how I did it, I couldnít discover what I had done.  But I did manage to delete it and that allowed me to open Outlook again.  The bad news was that I had to set up all my Email accounts again.  So it wasnít until cup of tea time that I got everything back working, although I did managed to get the calendar problem sorted at the same time.

After a cup of tea, I though I would have a short session in the Train Shed.  I took the two 3MTs along with me and decided to try fitting a DCC decoder to one of them.  Itís quite a fiddly job but, fortunately, I have some tiny screwdrivers and I have a little cradle that I made quite a long time ago from expanded polystyrene to support the loco in an inverted position.  The first problem was to remove the body, which requires a tiny screw to be removed after removing another tiny screw holding the front pony truck onto the chassis.  Then it was simply a question of unclipping the rear of the cab sides to lift the superstructure clear.

Removing the blanking plate was not entirely simple and it shot out of my hand and onto the floor, but I managed to retrieve it undamaged.  However, fitting the Zimo decoder was much more difficult.  I needed my Optivisor and a good light to see the pins mating into the socket.  It still took a deal of effort because the pins of the decoder tended to splay and it took some perseverance to locate them into the socket.  However, eventually, it was all done and the loco placed on the track to check the operation of the decoder.

Once I was happy with that, I refitted the body and pony truck, before giving it a trial run through the crossover from the UP main to Platform 4.

I havenít programmed any of the CVs yet, but it shouldnít be a problem.  Once a decoder is fitted into the other loco, I can program them both and test them out on the branch in place of the two small prairies.  That will release the prairies for running on the test track.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118%