!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 267310 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3375 on: June 25, 2019, 07:35:47 PM »
Enjoy your day at the NYMR Laurence - a nice day out, especially when the weather is nice.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3376 on: June 25, 2019, 07:36:41 PM »
laurence

those buildings look superb structures !!!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3377 on: June 25, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »
Enjoy your day at the NYMR Laurence - a nice day out, especially when the weather is nice.

Yes indeed!  And Pickering is a lovely town to stay in.  Have you been viewing the NYMR programmes on the television featuring 'Piglet' and friends?

I hope you both have a lovely time.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #3378 on: June 25, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »
Nice work on the scenery Laurence.

I bought a plaster bandage about a month ago. I'm running out of excuses not to start using it! Wish me luck  :)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3379 on: June 25, 2019, 10:16:41 PM »
You don't need luck. Cut it into pieces, dip it in warm water and get it slapped down!. Cover up your sensitive bits though, (on the layout I mean  :)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3380 on: June 26, 2019, 06:43:18 AM »

Yes indeed!  And Pickering is a lovely town to stay in.  Have you been viewing the NYMR programmes on the television featuring 'Piglet' and friends?

I hope you both have a lovely time.

John
I haven't seen the prograam, but we don't watch much telly at all.  Pickering is less than 50 miles away, but if we have a couple of nights there, it saves battling with morning and evening peak traffic and makes a nice little break.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3381 on: June 26, 2019, 07:56:56 PM »
Today was another gym day.  It was also the day that we headed for Pickering in the afternoon.  So my early Train Shed visit was the only one of the day.  Itís still relatively cold and damp here.  The rain has stopped, but thereís no sign on it warming up.  Perhaps we should move to Warming-upon-Sea.  Even over the next couple of days, the local forecast is of temperatures only in the mid-teens, but with a little more sunshine. 

Anyway, back to the Train Shed.  I confined myself to an operating session this morning and began with 6713 bringing the branch goods from Norton in to the goods end of Platform 4.

That was followed by Ditcheat Manor with a parcels train from Aylesbury, which unloaded at Platform 2.

Then Class 5, 45206, pulled away from the milk depot with the milk train and set off for Aylesbury, where the train will be broken up for distribution, some tanks going to London and others to the Midlands.

Once 45206 had disappeared from view, Ditcheat Manor departed for Worcester.

Finally, 6713 took the branch goods away, heading for Shipton.

When we arrived home from the gym, we had coffee and then I picked more strawberries and Tayberries.  Before we set off for Pickering, I ordered a BR Scarab for the back story and a DMU for the branch line (actually itís a Dapol Class 121 ĎBubble Carí).  It is in BR green with Ďspeed whiskersí, which is, I think, the appropriate livery for 1959.  Technically, they werenít introduced until 1960, But they are similar to the Class 122, which were introduced in 1958.  We have to imagine that Doctor How used the power of his Celeris (his version of the Tardis, disguised as a lamp hut) to transport it out of the following year.  The idea is that it will replace one of the two small Prairies, which will then be freed up for mainline work.  I bought a DCC fitted version, so I should be able to program it to run as soon as it arrives (or as soon as we arrive home, whichever is the later to occur).

We arrived at The White Swan in Pickering in the middle of the afternoon and, after the inevitable cup of tea, we wandered down to the station to have a look around and then wandered through the town and found the ĎHidden Marketí.  Iím looking forward to the train trip tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3382 on: June 26, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »
hope you enjoy the NYMR

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3383 on: June 26, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
Enjoy the NYMR Laurence.
Hopefully the weather will be kind.
Itís warm down here but not too hot though we have a yellow warning for wind on Thursday and Friday.
 Strawberries are quite plentiful here though we have no tayberries. Our gooseberries , though large, are taking a while to ripen.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3384 on: June 27, 2019, 08:37:45 PM »
Back Story (continued)
Thursday June 27th 1959

Today, the fish train made an unscheduled stop at Marton Hinmarche.  It had previously made an unscheduled stop near Doncaster, where a Tullibardine van containing a special delivery had been waiting in a siding.  The van had been detached from an East Coast Mainline express freight train from Perth, in Scotland and shunted into the siding to await the fish train on its way from Grimsby.  The Tullibardine van was first spotted near Burnham Rocks, when it exited Gatsby Tunnel. 

When the fish train reached Marton Hinmarche, it was diverted through the goods depot.

There, it made a short stop for the Tullibardine van to be removed from the rear of the train.

It was removed by the station pilot, 9744.

The brake van was shunted back onto the fish train, which then departed. 

Because of its two-hour schedule to Bristol Midland Road depot, it was able to make up for the short delay at Marton Hinmarche.  The Tullibardine van was then shunted into the goods depot, where its contents were unloaded. 

The Tullibardine had been sent for market testing by the leading hotels and hostelries in the area.  Its contents were gratefully accepted by the various local hostelries, who had clubbed together and sent a chartered scarab for the purpose of delivering the whisky to their premises.  After unloading, the van was shunted into the goods yard and parked next to another familiar van.

Doctor How went into the Celeris (his version of the Tardis, that looks like a lamp hut) and projected a hologram of a bottle of Tullibardine to announce the arrival of the consignment.

Now all that remains is to taste the Tullibardine.  Testing is expected to be in full swing soon after evening opening time.

All those involved with the Aylesbury and Worcester are in a state of excitement.  Last year (1958), British Railways successfully introduced the Class 122 railcar (known as the bubble car).  Next year, they will add to this with Class 121.  However, Baron Tiverton has been in negotiation with BR Western Region to take an advance delivery of one of the units to use for a trial on the Aylesbury and Worcester.  He will run it on the Shipton to Norton branch and withdraw one of the Small Prairies for service on the main line.  This is, indeed, a feather in his cap.  Everyone is looking forward to its arrival.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3385 on: June 27, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »
a drop too far - no drinking and driving ! or will the local inn stock this ?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3386 on: June 28, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
I trust a merry time was had by all concerned during the tasting session :)

Great shots of the shunting movements :)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3387 on: June 28, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
While at the NYMR yesterday, we visited the shop at Grosmont MPD.  I purchased some Woodlands Scenics deciduous trees, which might turn out to be of no use and some CDs of steam sounds, which seem to be like gold dust these days. 

Today, we returned home in time for coffee and then there was a lot to do in the garden.  One of the big problems was the fact that the pigeons have been at the peas again.  Last year, they attacked the tops of the plants and I had to put netting over the top of the supports.  I had to do that again this year, but today we found that they had been sitting on the boards of the raised beds and attacking the bottoms of the plants, particularly the small ones.  So I had to put netting along the sides of the pea bed as well. 

While I was doing that, Celia noticed that our Solomonís Seal had been badly stripped.  We have a particularly fine specimen and it has never been a problem before.  On examination, I found that there was an infestation of grey caterpillars, the like of which I have never seen before.  Thank goodness for the internet.  I looked them up and found that they were Solomonís Seal Sawfly larvae, which are capable of stripping a plant very rapidly.  So I had to pick them off and drown them in a container of water.  That wasnít the end of it because, when I looked a little later, there were a few more, so I subjected them to the same treatment.  Iíve never before heard of Solomonís Seal Sawfly.

During the day, the postman called with a parcel containing the Bubble car and the Scarab that I had ordered.  So when I went down to the Train Shed (after a cup of tea), I was able to arrange for the photographer from the Evenbury Journal to attend the station for a photo shoot.  First he was able to capture a shot of the Tullibardine van being unloaded into the chartered Scarab.

Then he caught sight of some of the station staff admiring the new Class 121 Bubble Car.

Unfortunately, back in the reality of the Train Shed, the Class 121 had a problem.  The model appears to be excellent, but the Decoder will not program properly.  The address (CV1) would not change from address 03 no matter what address I tried to give it.  The Start Voltage (CV2), the Acceleration (CV3) and the Deceleration (CV4) appeared to be working normally and responding to programming.  However, the Top Voltage (CV5) was very peculiar.  After setting, the railcar ran at the new top speed for a few seconds but then suddenly speeded up to what appeared to be a scale speed of about 200mph.  I tried programming CV1 and CV5 several times, but always with the same result.  I have now packed it up ready for return to Hattons.  Itís all very disappointing.

I donít know whatís happened to the heatwave, but itís certainly not here.  It did get up to 18C here today, but I donít call that a heatwave.  This afternoon, I removed my Woolley outer garment, but when I went round to the other side of the house, in the shade, I felt rather cold.  I presume someone has the hot weather, but itís not here.  The forecast for tomorrow is 27C (although Iíll believe it when it happens), but then itís all downhill again.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3388 on: June 28, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »
thanks hope you sort your class 121 out

and enjoyed the nymr

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #3389 on: June 28, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
What kind of decoder does the CL121 have? Did it come with a Dapol decoder fitted?

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal