!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 328731 times)

Invicta Alec, Nighthawk and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #4440 on: August 03, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »
The delayed photos. of the Penmayne portion (with Restaurant car) of the BR WR special from Marton Hinmarche should be posted soon. The Repol Bay and Port Perran portion ccame off at Wadebridge, as is standard for such trains.
I look forwrd to seeing the pics.  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4441 on: August 03, 2020, 07:17:13 PM »
Today was a particularly busy one.  I still needed to do a lot to the MS Solihull newsletter and, in addition, I had to compose something to send out about our decision to suspend the constitution of Hessle U3A temporarily because it will not be possible to hold an AGM and it may also not be possible to get the accounts audited.  However, I managed to fit in a walk before coffee.  After coffee, we had our weekly committee Zoom meeting and, what with some outstanding bits of the newsletter to finish, that took me up to dinnertime.

In the afternoon, I had some more amendments to make to the newsletter and then it was on with the gardening.  My main task was to clear up all the hedge trimmings that I cut last week and stow them in our brown bin.  Then I helped Celia with some edging work that needed a bit of umph, followed by picking raspberries.  Eventually I made it down to the Train Shed, where I started to put the finishing touches to the row of cottages.  First I added the downpipes to the back of the cottages.

Then I thought I would try adding a few lintels to the front windows and doors.  In the past, I havenít been very pleased with the effect of Scalescenes lintels but, on this occasion, they look much more acceptable.  So far, I have added lintels to the left-hand front door and the four leftmost ground floor windows.

Iím sorry about the shadow across the left-hand side of the building, but I think you can see the effect reasonably well.  I am sure that they lintels will be OK and I will carry on with the remainder.  I also have to fit the bargeboards to the gable ends.  Funnily enough, I seem to have lost one of them, which is strange, because they were all attached to the gable end wall sections.  However, I have nicked one from the second row of cottages and I will have to find another one when I get that far.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4442 on: August 04, 2020, 07:11:15 PM »
Today was yet another busy day.  I started by making the final amendments to the newsletter before starting on the council work.  I have a council meeting this evening and, because it is a Zoom meeting, I had to plough through all the planning applications online and then through all the other supporting bumf.  However, I had to break off fairly soon so that we could pay a visit to J Sainsbury.  Then, after another short session on the computer, I had another interruption because we were booked into the gym again today.  There was good news about the gym today also.  Celia managed to book in for her class tomorrow as well so, apart from table tennis, we are now back to normal with our gym routine.

On our return, we had a late coffee and it was then on with the council work again.  After dinner, I started work in the garden.  I began to move and relay the slabs by the compost bins.  I had to remove a few 400mm square slabs, which wasnít a problem, but then I had to lift and manoeuvre the 600mm square slabs which is a much more challenging operation.  I can just about lift one so I did quite a bit of slab walking (as opposed to sleep walking) to get them to the correct place.  I also had to shovel up a lot of gravel and sieve it to separate the gravel from the sand and earth.  Fortunately, cup of tea time came round just in time.

After a cup of tea, I made a brief visit to the Train Shed and ran a few trains.  Here is 5572 (nearest the camera) with a branch passenger destined for Shipton, waiting at Platform 4 and 6417, with its ĎBí set destined for Kingly, standing across the platform at Platform 3.

It was a fairly good session, although one or two of the locos required a nudge or two to get them started from the storage loops.  Tomorrow, I hope to press on with the lintels on the row of cottages.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4443 on: August 05, 2020, 08:26:47 PM »
Today was another very busy day.  We started with our usual walk into Hessle to deliver our weekend order to the butchers.  On the way (and back), we delivered the first batch of U3A newsletters.  We have thirty-eight members who do not have Email.  The rest receive their newsletters by Email.  Of the remainder, eighteen are too far away to be delivered by hand and so I use the Royal Mail Click and Drop utility to send theirs out.  We posted them yesterday in the franked mailbox on the way to J Sainsbury.  The remainder are divided into five walks and we delivered the first of those today.  After we returned, there was just time for a quick early coffee before setting off for the gym.  On the way home we called in at Lidl and arrived home just in time for dinner.

In the afternoon, I returned to laying paving slabs.  I layed the remaining 600mm square slabs and then the first six 40mm square ones.  I could have gone on, even though my back was beginning to complain a little, but I had to go in to await the joiner who was supposed to by coming to measure up for our conservatory renovation.  However, he never showed up and when I rang him, one of his customers answered because he had left his phone behind when he knocked off.  So I never did make it down to the Train Shed.  However, as a consolation, hereís the video of the running that I operated yesterday.

I thought you might like to know how Wally Perceval and his best friend Alan Peacock are getting along.  The Interrogative Seven Restaurant has been a real success.  Wally has concentrated on simple, small dishes, excellently cooked and exquisitely presented.  Typical of his creations is rice with devilled lamb and mushrooms served with freshly picked peas from the vegetable garden.  He also served delightful deserts such as fresh raspberries with authentic Greek yoghurt.  Alan has devised a way of keeping raspberries fresh all year round. 

He places them individually on baking trays and freezes them.  Now in 1959, freezers were confined to a few commercial premises, but Alan acquired one for just such a purpose.  The secret is too freeze them and then put them into storage containers.  When required, they are emptied from the storage containers and put back onto the baking trays, where they are allowed to thaw.  The result is exactly as though the raspberries have just been picked.

Twenty-five years later, Raymond Blanc OBE opened his restaurant with an equally catchy name, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons.  He served meals of a similar nature, which became known as Nouvelle Cuisine.  He was probably completely unaware of Wally and Alanís efforts a quarter of a century earlier.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4444 on: August 06, 2020, 08:05:44 PM »
Thursday is our play day and today, now that we have our Humber Tag, we opted for another trip to Cleethorpes.  We had a really nice long walk along the sands, a bit like the walrus and the carpenter, although we didnít eat any oysters.  However, Celia did collect quite a few oyster shells along the beach to use in the garden.  We returned home in time for dinner and then, in the early afternoon, the joiner, whom we had expected yesterday, arrived to do a final check on our conservatory project. 

After the joiner had left, I continued with slab laying.  It is quite hard work on the back and I was glad to be able to stop for a cup of tea. After the cup of tea, I managed a session in the Train Shed.  I began with an operating session, the last of the day in the world of Marton Hinmarche.  Marcus and Julius had stationed (excuse the pun) themselves in Black Horse Cutting and managed to capture a picture of 80119 emerging from Oakwood Tunnel just as 4571 appeared from the mouth of the branch tunnel.

Sometime later, they were able to get a picture of Cranmore Hall on its way to Hereford.

After the operating session, I had another go at progressing the row of cottages.  I fitted the bargeboards and then completed all the ground floor lintels on the front wall.

I still have the first floor lintels to add, plus all the lintels on the rear wall.  I will then make a decision as to whether or not I add stone sills under the windows.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4445 on: August 07, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »
Today was a very hot one.  Indeed, it was the hottest day of the year here, hotter even than June 26th and more than 2 degrees hotter than last Friday.  We began the day, as usual, with a walk into Hessle to the butchers, but also to the greengrocers and the pharmacy.  Then it was home for coffee before starting on my weekly chores.  I managed to finish most of them before dinnertime and even had time to summer prune the espaliers. 

After dinner, I got out my angle grinder and proceeded to cut and lay the remainder of the slabs along the compost bins.  By the time I decided I had done enough in the heat, I had finished the main part of the path and I just need to cut and install the fillets between the main slabs and the compost bins.  I think I will also add some fillets to sides of the slabs where the table tennis table is stored to make it easier to extract it and put it away again.  By that time, I was ready for a cup of tea.

After a cup of tea, I went to the Train Shed, but it was 32.5C in there, so I decided that a running session was not a good idea because of the possibility of shorts caused by expansion.  It was also too hot to think about working on the row of cottages.  So I looked out my Tidy Track wheel cleaner and gave 5572 a bit of whirl, using IPA on the cleaning pads.

I then ran 5572 around the branch to Norton and back, stopping at Marton Hinmarche in each direction to test the effect of cleaning.  To begin with, the results were not too good, but the performance of 5572 improved with time, so I will have to wait and see what the long-term effects are.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4446 on: August 08, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »
Itís been another beautiful sunny day today.  The temperature was about 8 degrees lower than yesterday, and there was a nice breeze, but it was a lovely summerís day.  We began with a longish walk to deliver U3A newsletters and returned in time for a late coffee.  Then I set about the harvest for the week.  I picked most of the peas, but there are a few left that need to fatten up and will be picked next week.  Then I picked runner beans, which is a bit of a challenge this year because of the ten-foot canes that I had to buy during lockdown because I couldnít get hold of any eight-foot ones.  So, even when standing on my two-foot high platform, I canít reach the very top and, in a few weeksí time, I might need to bring out my step ladder.

After dinner, I picked the French climbing beans and then lifted two roots of potatoes.  I have been really pleased with this yearís crop.  The tops of all the first earlies have died down now, but the potatoes under the ground are really superb.  This is what I managed to lift from two roots.

After that, I picked tomatoes and then it was time for a cup of tea.  After my cup of tea, I went down to the Train Shed, where the temperature was over 26C, which I thought was a bit too hot for a running session.  In the post today my Scale-glaze windows arrived, which I ordered because I canít find the ones I ordered in December.  I know that I didnít use all of them, but I just canít find them.  I spent quite a bit of time this afternoon searching for them, but to no avail.  Finally, I settled for fixing one of two more lintels to the row of cottages.  Itís all a bit of a mystery.  I have a drawer with glazing sections, but the ones I have been looking for are nowhere to be found.

Itís been quite an exhausting day today, finishing off with shelling lots of peas, slicing runner beans and then chopping up climbing French beans.  But I managed to get through it all in the end.  Tomorrow, if the temperature is a little cooler in the Train Shed, I hope to be able to have another running session.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4447 on: August 08, 2020, 09:58:05 PM »
...which I ordered because I canít find the ones I ordered in December.  I know that I didnít use all of them, but I just canít find them.  I spent quite a bit of time this afternoon searching for them, but to no avail.

Laurence, I'm sorry for the time you lost looking for those Scale-glaze windows, but I can commiserate because of a similar experience. Over a year ago, I could not find the second of a pair of tunnel portals. So, I had to buy another set for the one I needed. Yesterday, I was on my knees looking for something I'd dropped under my computer desk and low and behold I came up with not what I dropped but the tunnel portal!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4448 on: August 09, 2020, 06:32:34 AM »
I am tempted to say it's something to do with our age, Leon, but it has been happening to me for many decades.  It's the same with some words and people's names.  I could never remember names even when I was a teenager.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4449 on: August 09, 2020, 06:44:00 AM »
I am tempted to say it's something to do with our age, Leon, but it has been happening to me for many decades.  It's the same with some words and people's names.  I could never remember names even when I was a teenager.
Same with me. I can remember faces but canít put a name to them.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4450 on: August 09, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »
Today dawned cold and grey and it remained so until after dinner.  We went for our morning walk and delivered some more U3A newsletters.  After a cup of coffee, I cut a cabbage for tonightís tea and then collected a barrow load of topsoil from our neighbour opposite, who has just had a twenty ton load delivered.  Then it was on with slab cutting and laying.  By dinnertime, I had completed all the slabs in front of the compost bins.

In the afternoon, I worked at the area where we store the table tennis table and, by three oíclock, I had finished slab laying.  It was then that the sun came out and it turned out to be a nice summerís afternoon, although the temperature never reached 20C.  After clearing away and tidying the whole area, sweeping up any bits of remaining gravel, I was able to stow the table tennis table again and retire to the summerhouse for a cup of tea. 

Eventually, I made it down to the Train Shed.  I donít seem to be able to get more than about half an hour a day there at the moment, but I had a nice operating session without too many hiccups.  Hereís Cranmore Hall over at Platform 3 waiting to depart with a Hereford to Paddington train, with 5572 standing at Platform 4 with a branch passenger destined for Norton.  Beyond Cranmore Hall, you can see the train behind 80119, ready to set off for Worcester.

By the end of the session, Stanier Class 5, 45206, had arrived with the early morning milk train, while 6713 waited at the goods end of Platform 4 with a branch goods from Shipton.

I will try to make some more progress with the various tasks and projects that I am trying to get on with in the Train Shed (and the garage).  However, I will try to post a few pictures and the odd video if I donít get too much project work done.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #4451 on: August 09, 2020, 06:11:03 PM »
Looking good there Laurence, I like your houses/cottages, I will have to make do with modifying Metcalfe kits. Like you and Leon I lose things, a while ago I lost the stacker truck off my viaduct module, I have never found it. Yesterday I came across one in new stock that had arrived at my model shop so I bought it, you can guarantee I will find the old one now.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4452 on: August 10, 2020, 07:54:58 PM »
Today dawned bright and sunny and it turned out to be another beautiful summerís day.  We began with a longish walk to deliver yet more newsletters.  After a cup of coffee, we had another U3A committee Zoom meeting, which was longer than usual because there is concern as to how we can have an AGM.  All the advice we are getting from above, plus the restrictions that are being imposed by venues, seems to make it impossible to ever have a meeting again.

In the afternoon, I removed the netting from the carrots and spent some time weeding them because the weeds were threatening to take over.  Then I took the netting round to the pond in the front garden (the reason will become clear shortly).  I then removed most of the contractorís netting supports from the pea bed and took them round to the pond.  For those unfamiliar with my pea cultivation, I use contractorís orange netting to support the peas because it is a deterrent to birds when the pea plants are young and vulnerable.

The netting is supported by steel supports, but now that the peas are almost over, I am able to remove most of them.  I then erected the supports around the pond and stretched several lengths of netting over the posts to prevent pears from falling in.  There is a pear tree (a Hessle Pear) that overhangs the pond and, three of or four years ago, so many pears fell into the pond that all the wildlife in the pond died, creating a very unpleasant odour.  So now I cover the pond with netting to catch the majority of the pears that fall off.  Once that was done, I did a bit more slab laying and, now, it is almost complete.

After a cup of tea, I was able to make it down to the Train Shed.  It was over 29C in there and I judged that it was too hot for a running session.  I propped the door open and opened the windows before setting about the row of cottages once more.  I managed to add all the lintels to the front of the row of cottages.

Then I began work on the back.  I got as far as adding the door lintels.

What ensues tomorrow will depend, to a certain extent, on the weather.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4453 on: August 11, 2020, 07:12:46 PM »
Today dawned a little hazy, but the sun came out eventually.  We started, as usual on a Tuesday morning, with a visit to J Sainsbury.  By the time we were ready to go to the gym, the sun was blazing down.  By dinnertime, the outside temperature had reached 25C and, by early afternoon, it topped 28C, where it remained for two or three hours.  Not bad for the frozen north.  In the afternoon, I had hoped to lay one or two more slabs but, by the time I had picked raspberries, tomatoes, runner beans and climbing French beans, I was feeling the heat.  At least I was able to move into the shade of the beans when I picked the second side.

After a cup of tea, I was able to get down to the Train Shed, but the temperature there was 31.7C, so a running session was out of the question.  I opened the door wide, plus all the windows and affixed the remainder of the lintels to the ground floor of the back wall of the row of cottages.

Iím not at all convinced that the lintels look in the least bit realistic.  I will persevere with the lintels for now, but I may need to think about another way forward. 

By the time I had finished, the temperature had dropped to 30.2C.  I love these beautiful summer days, but temperatures a little less extreme would be appreciated.  However, I can remember summers in the 1950s when there were prolonged heat waves, probably more extreme than the current one.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4454 on: August 11, 2020, 07:27:13 PM »
The lintels look ok to me Laurence but I expect that the camera does them no favours.
No doubt they look really good to the naked eye.

Warm here today but only about 22degrees and cloudy. This morning  was misty until about 10-00 and since our evening meal the mist has descended once more.
We can normally see for miles from our conservatory but this evening itís down to about 200 yards.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal