!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 293711 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3915 on: February 04, 2020, 09:47:50 PM »
íTwas a busy day today.  This morning we went to the gym, but I had a chance of a Train Shed episode before we set off.  First, I managed to run some more trains which is, when allís said and done, to my mind at least, the whole purpose of building a model railway in the first place.  Here you can see 6713 with the branch goods standing at the goods end of Platform 4.  On the adjacent track, Stanier Class 5MT, 45206, awaits the loading of milk into its tank wagons.  Over the Platform is the back end of the train behind 80119.

Then I wrapped the cover layers around the sides of the vertical edges of the gable ends to hide the bare white plastic.

After the gym we visited the illustrious J Sainsbury and in the afternoon I had a lot of garden-related work.  I spent most of the time sawing up old chipboard panels that had been stripped out during out alterations.  I used my cheap trestles from Screwfix for the purpose.  Given that the topic arose a few days ago in the forum, I thought I would show you mine in action, although not model railway related.

After making chips for tea, I had to go out again for a council meeting, so there was little time for a Train Shed visit beforehand.  However, after a cup of tea I did manage to squeeze in another brief session before I started cutting up potatoes.  I began assembling the farmhouse, including adding the frames and glazing layers to the front and rear walls.

Tomorrow, I have to stay in because our peach tree is being delivered, so I hope I will be able to get some more done in the Train Shed.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3916 on: February 04, 2020, 10:16:50 PM »
  ...First, I managed to run some more trains which is, when allís said and done, to my mind at least, the whole purpose of building a model railway in the first place. 

I agree completely, Laurence.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3917 on: February 04, 2020, 10:51:59 PM »
Laurence thanks those screwfix wrestles have been added to my shopping list. The houses look very professional I'm impressed. Chris. Look forward to more inspirational modelling and tutorials.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3918 on: February 05, 2020, 05:38:07 PM »
Today, I had to wait in for our peach tree to be delivered.  But I had a great deal of U3A work to do while I was waiting, so there was no early session in the Train Shed.  When the tree arrived it, it was boxed up in an enormous carton which was over six fee high and about three feet wide.  The tree itself was nothing like that size, but it was certainly over five feet tall with all the fan-trained branches tied up in a U-shape and the root ball contained in a large black sack.  So the first job was to transport it into the back garden and open the box.  The size of the box reflected a high degree of protection, which had been necessary because, when I unpacked it, I found that the box had been brought with the tree upside down.

The next problem was that the hole I had dug in preparation was only half the size required to accommodate the root ball.  So I had a lot more digging to do.  Even then, because it was to be planted next to an existing wall, I had to further trim a couple of large roots that had already be chopped by the nursery.  But, eventually, I got it planted, with some added chicken pellets plus fish, blood and bone meal supplement.  Once it was all healed in, I gave it a full can of water.

In the afternoon, I disposed of the box and then cut up the remainder of the chipboard left over from yesterday.  Then (hooray!), I made it down to the Train Shed.  There was no time for an operating session today, but I soldiered on with the curtains and then fixed all the layers together ready for assembly.  Finally, I fitted the front and rear walls, the ceiling and the chimney stacks, before adding the roof support.  Hereís the front of the house, awaiting the roof.

And hereí the rear view.

The window frames appear a little oversized in the pictures, but they are OK to the naked eye.  My original ones looked better in the pictures, but pathetic to the naked eye.  There was another council meeting this evening, so further Train Shed activities will have to wait until tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3919 on: February 06, 2020, 07:48:35 PM »
Today was a somewhat unusual day.  First, I walked into Hessle to the opticians to see about my varifocals.  I had a nice chat with a dispensing optician who spent a lot of time adjusting and checking the glasses to try to improve the viewing angle.  In the end, he asked me to try them again for another couple of weeks.  When I returned home we had coffee and then I took all the chipboard that I had cut over the last couple of days to the tip (sorry, recycling centre).  By the time I returned, there was little time for a Train Shed session.  However, I did mange to add the roof cover layers and fix the roof in place.

The white marks on the front of the roof were caused by my initially fixing the cover layer to the roof section at an angle and then having to peel it off and reattach it.  At the time, the white lines were not visible, but they appeared when I came to photograph the farmhouse.  I hope that they might be acceptable as some sort of weathering.

In the afternoon, I had the opera group to watch a 1991 DVD of Pavarotti in Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera at the Met.  When they had all gone, I managed another very short session in the Train Shed.  I placed the new house and the prototype side by side for comparison. 

The new one is on the right.  It doesnít yet have the ridge tiles, chimney capping nor barge boards fitted but I am, overall, pleased with it.  Then I worked out how to fit the new quick-fit multi-chuck to my Dremel.  I used a 0.5mm drill to make test holes for track pins to allow me to fix the chimneypots to the chimney capping stones.

Iím not exactly sure of the method that I will eventually use to attach the chimneypots but, first, they need painting.  I will need to buy some acrylic primer (for the plastic) and some small cartons of acrylic paint, because I donít really have any appropriate colours at the moment.  After that, I attached the bargeboards to the gable ends.

I think I have now got the size of the bargeboards right.  Tomorrow, I will make up the chimney capping stones.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #3920 on: February 06, 2020, 10:15:48 PM »
Those houses are looking good Laurence, wish I was capable of scratchbuilding houses, I will just settle for altering the metcalf or scalescenes ones etc.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3921 on: February 07, 2020, 05:31:34 PM »
Friday is weekly jobs day.  But, as itís the first Friday of the month, I also made a start on the monthly jobs as well.  In addition, Celia has been having issues with her computer running slowly and stalling when she is doing her banking.  Barclays recently sent her a message to say that, because Windows 7 is no longer supported, she might have security issues with it.  Now, I could upgrade it to Windows 10, but it is an eleven year-old Dell and I think it might become very creaky running Windows 10, so I decided that she needed a new machine and I have ordered one with a 256GB SDD which, if my laptop is anything to go by, should be astonishingly quick compared to her present one.

I have also spent the last couple of days extending the U3A website so that people can now access all the newsletters that we have on file since 2011.  Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I didnít get down to the Train Shed until it was nearly dinnertime.  As I havenít run any trains for a couple of days, I decided I would have an operational session.  Hereís B17 61664, Liverpool, standing at Platform 3, waiting to depart with the 10.33am for Norwich (Thorpe).

The whole session ran very smoothly without a single hiccup, nor were there any operator errors today.  However, right at the death, so to speak (in more ways than one) 5572 stopped on the points at the exit from Platform 4.  I tried it several times, but it kept stopping at the same place (I was going to say at the same point).  I cleaned the track, but that seemed to make it worse.  In the and, it just would not go at all.  I removed the acceleration (i.e. set it to zero), but there was no improvement.  It just seemed to have died. 

By then, it was dinnertime, so it had to be left to stew, so to speak.  In the afternoon, I had to make a visit to the U3A meeting, but I didnít stop.  Then I had another session in the Train Shed.  I began by concentrating on 5572.  I sprayed contact cleaner up its bum (i.e. up the inside of the drivers) in the hope of cleaning the pickups.  It was still reluctant to move, but I did manage to get it moving, with repeated nudges every time it stopped again.  Gradually it got better.  I ran it around the mainline, through a couple of vacant loops and, after several circuits, felt able to leave it running and get on with the farmhouse.

I cemented the four formers of each chimney cap together and then experimented with my Dremel, using the new quick-change chuck.  I cut one of the octagonal chimneypots from its sprue and managed to drill holes of the right size for the remnants of the sprue to slide into.

It is difficult to get the spacing exactly right nor could I get them perfectly in line because of the tiny size, but I think they will do for the model.  I cleaned out a jar for paint mixing and I will see if I can produce a satisfactory colour tomorrow, ready for spraying the chimneypots and capping stones.

While all this was going on, 5572 appeared to return to perfect working order in both directions.  I returned the acceleration setting to normal and all was well.  Phew!  So, tomorrow, I will have a go at airbrushing all the chimneypots and the capping stones.  Although, after our visit to the butchers and coffee, we need to collect Celiaís new computer, which will give me something to do when we return, apart from visiting the Train Shed.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3922 on: February 08, 2020, 07:58:57 PM »
Well, we had a day and a half today.  We drove into Hessle this morning so that we could go on to Messrs Currys to buy Celiaís new computer.  I used to work for Currys many, many moons ago, when it was still owned by the Curry family.  It all changed when Dixons took over and fired anyone who had ever had anything to do with the Curry family.  Prior to the takeover, the majority of Currys business was repeat business from loyal customers.  Which meant they didnít have to do much selling.  After the takeover, it was a case of selling everything every time, which made it a lot harder work.

However, I digress.  We returned home for coffee and then I had some garden tasks to perform.  It was at that time that I suddenly realised that we didnít have enough potatoes for our Sunday tea because we had used a few of them to make the topping for a shepherdís pie on Wednesday.  So I made a note that I would have to go out again at some time in the afternoon to buy some more.  After that, I spent the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon setting up Celiaís new computer.  Installing Firefox was no trouble.  But when I came to install Office 365 (for which I have a subscription) I had great problems.  After many a battle, I decided that I would have to log out of Windows on Celiaís old computer to allow me to install Office on the new one.  That seemed to do the trick but, then, I had to set up outlook for her Email.  Again, eventually, I got it sorted and copied her old Outlook data file over so that she could carry on where she left off.  Then there was McAfee.  The problem was that there was already a version pre-installed on the new computer, so I had to wait for McAfee to remove the old version before it would install my registered version.  Finally, I managed to synch all her Firefox bookmarks and get her up and running with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

It was time for a cup of tea.  Then I drove into Hessle again (because of the shortage of time) to buy some potatoes.  Eventually, at long last, I managed a session in the Train Shed.  Here's a shot of 6713 with the branch goods and 6417 with its 'B' set approaching from Evenbury.

Then, I took another picture of The Four Railway Engines.  No, not Gordon, James, Henry and Thomas, but Class 5MT 45206 with the milk train, 6713 with the branch goods, 6417 with its ĎBí set and Ditcheat Manor with a parcels train.

The running session was pretty successful, with only a couple of minor aberrations on my part, then it was back to the Farmhouse.  First, I mixed up some thick raw umber with some acrylic thinners and added some red paint to try to get something that would be acceptable for chimneypots.  Then I painted the chimney capping stones with their first coat of grey.

After that, I tried the mixed chimney pot paint on the paper to see what the colour would be like.

I think it will be OK.  I will airbrush it onto the sprues, possibly using two or three coats until I am satisfied with the result.  So thatís a job for tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3923 on: February 08, 2020, 08:10:30 PM »
Well, we had a day and a half today.

Reading what you get up to in what is a 'normal' day to the rest of us, that is nowt new to you!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3924 on: February 09, 2020, 06:44:20 PM »
Well, it was a bit of a storm in a teacup.  The Humber Bridge was closed to all traffic for an hour or two, but I suspect that was on advice from the Met Office, rather than because of the conditions. We live right next to the bridge and we did have one gust of 54mph and quite a few over 40mph but, in general, there was nothing to write home about.  Some very heavy rain came on at noon, but the rain had finished by two and the gusts were down to less that 30mph by three.  The Pride of Hull wasnít able to dock this morning and remained out at sea, where it was reported to be all calm. It berthed later this afternoon.

While all that was going on, I moved Celiaís old computer from her desk and installed the new one.  I also did some more work on the creamery house.  But , in addition, I managed a couple of sessions in the Train Shed.  First, I gave the chimney capping stones a second coat and the sprayed the chimneypots with my airbrush.  Before that, I added some black acrylic to the mixture because the original mix looked a bit too red.

It was during that session that we had a really heavy burst of rain.  The rain rate peaked at 133mm per hour, which is quite ferocious.  However, by the time I left to have my dinner, it had eased considerably.  In the afternoon, I fitted the chimney capping stones to the house.

After that, I had an operating session and everything ran really smoothly, including 5572, which had been awful the other day.  Here it is at Platform 4 with the 2.35pm for Shipton. 

After the operating session, I gave the chimneypots another coat of paint, before cleaning out the airbrush.  I am loath to leave the airbrush overnight without cleaning it because I once had a really bad clog-up through not giving it a thorough clean.

We had another squall just before six, accompanied by one or two claps of thunder, but it only lasted a few minutes.  Tomorrow, I hope to be able to finish the chimneypot spraying and then to fit the eight pots to the farmhouse.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3925 on: February 10, 2020, 07:07:08 PM »
Monday is table tennis day and so we were off fairly early without a visit to the Train Shed.  After dinner, I set about pruning the fruit trees and bushes.  They really should have been pruned at the end of last year but, as long as the pruning is done while they are still dormant, it shouldnít be a problem.  Then it was off to the Train Shed.

I began by giving the chimneypots another coat of paint, although I judged that the octagonal ones, that I intended to use on the farmhouse, didnít require another coat.  So when I had finished spraying the others, I fitted eight octagonal ones to the farmhouse.  I found it very difficult to get them into the holes because they were very close together.  I think three pots would have been better, although two would have been ideal for the actual fitting.  In the process, I managed to scrape off some of the paint on the capping stones.  I think in future, I will need to make the chimneys a bit wider and drill slightly oversized holes to allow for the paint on the chimneypot sprues.  Also, it might pay to assemble the chimneypots onto the capping stones before fixing the capping stones in place.  Anyway, hereís the result.

After that, I had an operational session.  I am pleased to be able to announce that every one of the eight trains ran absolutely perfectly and even the operator managed to follow the instructions without a mistake.  Hereís 5572 taking the 5.15pm branch passenger to Norton, passing through Burnham Rocks Cutting.

A little later J26, 65761, left the goods depot and is seen here passing through Black Horse Cutting on its way to Evenbury.  Both of these pictures were taken by Baron Tivertonís friend, Wing Commander Bourton, from his autogyro. 

After that I gave the chimneypots another coat of paint before giving the airbrush thorough clean again.  Finally, I thought you might like to see the completed farmhouse in situ as seen from the other side of the branch line.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to complete spraying the chimneypots.  I am still working on the creamery house design, but it may be some time before I get round to making it because I have now found that I can program the Silhouette Portrait in millimetres, so I am rejigging all the drawings to 2mm to the foot.  I think the original 1:144 scale farmhouse looks just a tad oversized.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3926 on: February 10, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
Particularly like the appearance on the house roof. A limestone ' Wash '. Happy to be corrected laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3927 on: February 11, 2020, 06:25:27 AM »
Particularly like the appearance on the house roof. A limestone ' Wash '. Happy to be corrected laurence
It was actually a mistake because I creased the slate layer when laying it, but I am quite pleased with the result now.  :-[
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3928 on: February 11, 2020, 06:28:12 AM »
Just a simple mistake has given it the appearance which I thought of , apt in these weather conditions

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3929 on: February 11, 2020, 07:10:22 PM »
Tuesday is our day for the gym.  I didnít visit the Train Shed before we went because I really need to get on with the design of the new Creamery House.  Although I had almost completed it, I am now having to spend a long time converting it from imperial measurements to metric.  After dinner I had some maintenance work to do on the bird feeders.  The constant high winds of the last three days have caused havoc with the top feeding station.  The pole had adopted a rather precarious angle and the peanut feeder was on the floor, with peanuts all over the lawn (sorry, grass).  After that, I did manage a session in the Train Shed.  I gave the remaining chimneypots a last coat of paint and then had an operating session.  Here are 6713 at Platform 4 with the branch goods and 46443 at Platform 2, heading the 7.13pm local train to Worcester.

While both trains were waiting for the Right Away, Tiverton Castle came thundering through Platform 3 with the UP Dragon Beach Express.

After that, I spent some time cleaning up my airbrush again, before repairing to the house for a cup of tea.  Then it was more work on the Creamery House before it was time for me to cook the chips for tonightís tea.  Tomorrow, I expect I will continue with the work on the Creamery House.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52%