!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 269474 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3390 on: June 29, 2019, 06:36:18 AM »
What kind of decoder does the CL121 have? Did it come with a Dapol decoder fitted?

Regards,

John P
Yes, I bought it DCC fitted.  It's clearly a decoder fault but, as it's brand new out of the box, I'm not inclined to try another.  I don't even know how to get at the decoder, although I could find out, but I'll just return it and let Hattons sort it out.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3391 on: June 29, 2019, 06:41:35 AM »
I would take a copy of the receipt, warranty, instructions and return and hope the retailer helps

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3392 on: June 29, 2019, 06:51:35 AM »
I would take a copy of the receipt, warranty, instructions and return and hope the retailer helps
It should be no problem  There is a two year Dapol no-quibble guarantee and Hatton's always have a return and replace or reimburse policy.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3393 on: June 29, 2019, 06:55:59 AM »
Laurence. Hope you get it sorted plus the garden. Off to work so have a good day and enjoy the warm. Look forward to tonights instalment

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3394 on: June 29, 2019, 07:28:05 AM »
Sorry to hear about the problems with the new bubble car decoder Laurence. Iím sure that Hattons will sort it, but it is annoying.

As for the weather, high 20ís in the garden here yesterday, but thankfully a cooling sea breeze. Same again forecast for today, then cooler tomorrow. Hope that you get some warmth today!

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3395 on: June 29, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
Back Story (continued)
Saturday June 29th 1959

Baron Tiverton and the board of the Aylesbury and Worcester were very disappointed to hear that the Class 121 delivered yesterday will have to be returned because of a gear box problem.  Apparently, the drivers, who had been specially trained to drive it reported that it was impossible to keep the bubble car in the correct gear and so it will have to limp off to Swindon, towed by the station pilot, 9744, where it is thought the problem will be solved by the technical whizzes. 

Baron Tiverton had been contemplating the acquisition of a two-car unit, also for use on the branch line, but he now has reservations about the introduction of diesels and will have to sit down and have a serious think about the future.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3396 on: June 29, 2019, 01:48:44 PM »
Very sorry to read about your problems with the BR diesel railcar, Laurence. You can always ask Hattons to pretest its replacement?

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3397 on: June 29, 2019, 02:31:20 PM »
Very sorry to read about your problems with the BR diesel railcar, Laurence. You can always ask Hattons to pretest its replacement?
Thanks Chris

Hattons are checking whether or not there is a compatibility issue between my Gaugemaster DCC02 Prodigy Advance and the supplied decoder.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3398 on: June 29, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »
A good idea. Although I have bought some bargain secondhand locos fitted with the manufacturer's DCC chip pre-installed, I have to admit, for peace of mind, I prefer to buy locos. without and ask Douglas to DCC fit his choice of DCC chip. (Eventually, the few not DCC-fitted by Wickness may have their chips replaced.)

I'm sure that this has been mentioned before, by others far more knowledgeable than I in such matters, but I'd consider increasing the DCC power feeds to the track for smoother running. (I probably have far too many but I think that that is better than too few.)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3399 on: June 29, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
Saturday is our day for walking into Hessle to the butchers.  At last is was warm enough (18C) to go in short sleeves, although I did wear my body warmer because there was still some high level mist.  When we arrived at the butchers it was crowded with people stocking up for the siege, possible thinking that supplies would run out before they could have another BBQ.  We had thought of having a modest BBQ between the two of us and we bought a couple of items that we could BBQ.  However, we could also cook them in the oven and, because it was very hot in the afternoon, thatís what we did, although we ate al fresco (and very tasty he was!).  Not that it was excessively hot; the temperature reached 26.8C.  But the humidity stayed up at 70% which made it feel hotter than it really was.  In the afternoon, my office was 24C, which is only a couple of degrees more than normal, but the humidity made it feel much less comfortable.

When we returned from the butchers, we had coffee outside and then I changed, ready to tackle some gardening.  Today, I decided to have another go at the espaliers, which need attention from time to time.  I some more of these little chaps on the espaliers which I began to notice few weeks ago.  I had never seen them before this year.

It turns out that they are the larvae of the harlequin ladybird and are veracious consumers of aphids.  So thatís two new species (new to me) that I have discovered in two days.  There are still some of the Solomonís seal sawfly larvae about, but I am clearing them up whenever I find any and the number has declined considerably.

I set about the espaliers with gusto, too much so Iím afraid and, when reaching up to one of the higher tiers, I managed to make a fair fist of snipping off the tip of the fourth finger on my left hand.  Thatís probably a bit of an exaggeration, but I created a semi-circular flap of skin and flesh which, although it didnít bleed initially, once I started to treat it, it bled profusely.  I ran it under a cold tap (ouch!) for a long time to try to stem the flow of blood but, when I dressed it, blood kept oozing out of the dressing and made a bit of a mess on my desk, on the floor, etc.  So I had to remove the dressing and run it under the tap for a much longer time before I could stick down the flap and dress it successfully. 

After that, I was able to continue snipping, although a little more circumspectly.  Once all the snipping was done, I tied down all the horizontal extensions, by which time I was ready for my midday snack (dinner in old money).  After dinner, I picked strawberries, Tayberries and our first raspberries.  We also have about half a dozen Sungold tomatoes which should be ready for picking tomorrow.  All the potatoes are in flower and the very first runner bean has started to form.  Itís about 20mm long at the moment, but there are no others as yet.

Then it was time for a session in the Train Shed.  When I opened it up, the temperature in there was over 30C, so I propped open the door and opened some of the windows.  Then, at last, there was some good news.  I thought I would try running the Union Mills J26 around the main line, but it was still awful.  However, I decided to apply one of my graphite sticks to the milk loop and the tail shunt.  That worked like magic, so thank you to whoever it was who suggested it.  I bought them quite a long time ago, but was reluctant to try them.  However, it was now a question of desperate remedies.  Hereís the result:

What a difference!  So, when I reach the next cleaning cycle, which will be soon, I will try applying graphite to the rails instead of IPA.  Hereís one of the graphite sticks.

I bought a pack of them about eighteen months ago.

After getting the J26 going again, I cut a couple of pieces of plaster bandage to try to smooth out the ridge between the original Shaper Sheet plaster and the latest plaster bandage application.

I think it may take a couple of more layers to get it right.  Iím please to say that Hattons have sent me a return label to send the DMU back for replacement.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3400 on: June 29, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »
Glad the graphite stick worked. I use mine and thank mr tidbury for introducing me to mine

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3401 on: June 30, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
Today we had two firsts.  But I am getting ahead of myself.  We managed to return to a normal Sunday, with a walk along the river.  I was a beautiful morning and remained so all day.  That was where we had the first of the firsts, if you forgive the repetition.  We saw some painted ladies, not the sort you get in N gauge people, but butterflies.  We didnít see any last year and I donít think weíve seen any since 2016.  Clearly the hot weather in Europe has brought them further north.  They donít reach England every year, but they are hear this year.

After our walk, we had coffee and then I undertook some gardening duties.  It was as a result of my activities in the garden that we had a second first.  We were able to eat poor old al fresco again and we had a ham salad with our very first home grown Sungold tomatoes of the year.  Soon we will have another first, at least of the year, because the peas are beginning to fatten up quite nicely. 

In the afternoon, I began by making the blueberries safe.  Let me explain.  When we moved here, we brought a blueberry in a pot.  We subsequently bought another and planted them in the ground, but they did not flourish and the birds took them as fast as they ripened.  So we transplanted them into the fruit bed, which I net once fruit starts to ripen.  But they didnít like it there and withered and all but died.  So, last year, we bought two more and placed in a large pot each.  They have done very well and have plenty of fruit.  But now they are beginning to ripen, I thought it prudent to move the pots inside the fruit cage for a few weeks until the fruit is finished.  After that, I can move them back out again.

Anyway, I digress.  After that, I went to the Train Shed with the intention of filming the next running session.  But, before I began filming, I applied the graphite stick to all the running rails between the two tunnels.  80119 and 5572 certainly took it in their stride and 5572 seemed much better for it.  It often needs a nudge to get started from Platform 4, but today it ran really well.  However, Forthampton Grange acted rather strangely.  It accelerated normally out of the DOWN loops but then, when it reached the graphite, it slowed to about two thirds of its normal top speed.  Now, normally, it has a jerky motion, accelerating and decelerating but, this time, it ran nice and smoothly, albeit at the slower pace.  Could it be that poor contact with the rails causes the jerky motion and the fast spurts are greater than they should be.  Iíll find out when I run more locos over the tracks, particularly Ditcheat Manor, which can be very jerky.  However, everything ran nicely.

I havenít included the runs of 80119 and 5572 because I already have them in the can and it seemed pointless uploading duplicates to YouTube.  But the session began with 5572 bringing its two coaches from Shipton to Platform 4, followed by 80119 arriving with a six-coach local from Kingly.  Then Forthampton Grange arrived with a Hereford to Paddington train.

After a short stop, it set off again for Aylesbury.

The sequence finished with 80119 taking its train away to Evenbury and 5572 setting off for Norton.  It will be interesting to see how the trains run tomorrow with the graphite.  If the experiment is a success, I will treat all the loops in the same way when I reach the cleaning cycle.

As an afterthought, I noticed something strange in the garden yesterday.  Our Sunset apple, one of the espaliers, which had a profusion of apples last year, didnít have a single blossom this year.  However, while I was attending to the espaliers yesterday, I notice a single blossom on it.  An apple blossom at the end of June?  Very strange!
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3402 on: June 30, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »
thanks laurence sounds like a productive day in the garden

Online DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #3403 on: July 01, 2019, 06:55:11 PM »
Great results with the Graphite sticks! Any recommended suppliers?
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3404 on: July 01, 2019, 07:03:02 PM »
Any artists suppliers will have them, but, for price, I recommend 'The Works'.

An example - https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/art-pencils/pure-graphite-pencils---pack-of-7/5052089237162
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:08:02 PM by dannyboy, Reason: Added link »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal