!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 255691 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3165 on: April 04, 2019, 07:18:07 AM »
Thanks Laurence. I await the arrival of a Kato Critter chassis which I hope to modify into a suitable launch-site for a Climax or, maybe, even a Shay. I have been researching the various types of motive power involved and the rolling stock looks simple enough. The RTR market has much to offer in terms of Cabooses (Cabeese?) and such like. I think I'll start by making a simple diorama which will be no more than a length of flexitrack on an embankment to just 'break the ice'  and conduct some experiments on.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3166 on: April 04, 2019, 07:49:35 AM »
Excellent news, Chris!  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3167 on: April 04, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »
Today we went off to the caravan at Knaresborough, but I managed a session in the Train Shed before we went.  I filmed the next timetable sub-cycle (7c) and the trains ran pretty well but I had problems because half way through the camera stopped owing to the fact that the 32GB memory card was full.  In the past, I have periodically deleted everything, but I havenít done it for a while and, because I have been making a lot of videos, I have gobbled up all the memory.  So I deleted quite a few files and tried to carry on.  However, before I reached the end of the session, the same thing happened again, probably indicating that the files I had deleted were stills rather than movies.  So I deleted a few more and managed to finish the session, which was much longer that originally planned.

We didnít stay long at the caravan because it was very cold and there was little to do in the garden because part of the site had been dug up to position new caravans.  So, by the afternoon we were back home again.  I did one or two garden jobs and then had another session in the Train Shed.  I painted the reverse side of the fencing that I had started painting yesterday and there are just the ends to touch up tomorrow. 

Then I though I would try to make a video demonstrating how I make the fencing.  Iím afraid that the sunlight streaming through the window has affected the picture quality.  It wasnít apparent while I was making it and only showed up when I edited the video.  But here it is anyway.

Then I uploaded the next timetable video (7a) to finish off with something a little easier on the eye.

I have now deleted everything on the camera memory card.  Tomorrow, I will press on with the fencing.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3168 on: April 05, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
Today has been a very busy day.  I began by carrying out as many of my weekly chores as possible.  Then I set about gardening.  I weeded the bean raised bed and began erecting the bean sticks.  After coffee, I completed that task and began installing the pea supports.  After something to eat, I had to take Celia into Hessle with a heavy bag for the U3A general meeting.  When I returned home, I completed the pea supports.  Here you can see the pea supports in the foreground with the bean sticks behind and the Train Shed to the right.

After that, I managed a filming session in the Train Shed.  During my cup of tea, Celia arrived home and, soon afterwards, there was a scream for help.  Celiaís ball point pen had somehow leaked all its ink onto the nice new pine work surface in her work room.  I tried, first, washing-up liquid, which made it much worse, then methylated spirit, which stained it purple followed by white spirit, which wasnít successful.  In the end, I had to get out my little detail sander and sand it all down.  There is a very slight stain remaining, but it is hardly noticeable.  That took a big chunk out of my afternoon.

Eventually, I managed to get down to the Train Shed again and carried on with the fencing.

Once I returned to the house, I downloaded all the pictures and videos and started editing todayís filming session.  Then I uploaded the next video.

Tomorrow will be more fencing, I expect.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:05:32 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3169 on: April 06, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
Today, being Saturday, we walked into Hessle to visit the butcher.  But not before I had completed a filming session in the Train Shed, shooting the next sub-cycle (8b).  After we returned from Hessle, we had coffee before I set about a sawing session.

We were given some timber recently.  It was part of a scrap load from a building site and the project manager asked us if we would like some because, otherwise, it he would have had to pay for disposal.  So today, I took it upon my self to start sawing it up and stacking it in the wood stacks.  By early afternoon, I had really done enough and so I retired to the Train Shed for another session.  This time, I was back to fencing again.  First I touched up the fencing that I had painted previously and it is now ready to be fixed into place on the layout. 

Then I continued making more fencing for the top of the Black Horse Cutting.  This is the section that needs fencing, against the backscene.

Altogether, the length required for the top, straight section between Oakwood Tunnel and the farm is 1120mm.  That makes fourteen sections, each 80mm long.  So far, I have made twelve, so I need to make two more.

Then, after a cup of tea, I uploaded the next video that had been edited.  We also watched the Grand National, something we havenít done for years.  Hereís the video, Sub-cycle 7c.

The rest of my time has been spent editing todayís filming session.  Hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to finish the current run of fencing and move on to something else.  I had a problem with 46443 again today, so I may well give it another IPA treatment and a much longer running-in session.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3170 on: April 07, 2019, 07:49:45 PM »
On the first Sunday in the month, there is a farmersí market in the Humber Bridge Country Park car park.  We always try to go early, whenever possible.  But I did have time for another filming session before we went.  Todayís filming session presented a new challenge because I had to film two trains passing, which meant I had to set one running while filming another that was already running.

The two trains in question were the pickup goods, hauled by J26 65761 and the milk train, hauled by Stanier Class 5 45206.  The reason for this is that they both cross non-stop to return to their starting loops ready for the second part of the operational timetable.  Everything else was fairly straight forward, apart from the fact the Union Mills stopped at a couple of locations on the UP line and refused to pass.  In the end, some vigorous cleaning of the rails in those two areas solved the problem.  But it seems strange that nothing else seems to be affected at those locations.

In the end I managed the sequence by double filming part of it.  When 65761 reached the station, I started 45206 and then filmed the two trains passing.  I was able to switch from one to the other until 45206 had disappeared into Oakwood Tunnel.  Then I had to run them round to their starting positions again so that I could film 45206 starting up and exiting Gatsby Tunnel.

After we returned from the farmersí market, we had coffee and then it was on with garden jobs.  I managed to lay some slabs into the Ďcaveí, our hidden storage area behind a dense hedge.  In the afternoon, I had to cut back a lot of dead wood on the Tayberries and then I cut the grass with the new cordless mower.  It is a real joy to use, compared with the old, heavy electric mower, which required me to move round the garden with an extension reel.  I managed to finish in time to watch the boat race.

After a cup of tea, I had time for a very short session in the Train Shed.  First, I errected the recently painted fencing into its permanent place.

Then I made the final two sections of fencing for the Black Horse Cutting.  Here are all fourteen sections, ready for painting.

Later, I finished editing todayís filming session and then uploaded the next completed video to You Tube.

Tomorrow, I will start painting the fencing for the cutting.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3171 on: April 08, 2019, 07:17:25 PM »
Monday is table tennis day.  My time-stealing session in the Train Shed this morning consisted of some running-in.  Recently 46443 has been playing up a bit, despite an IPA treatment, so I thought a good running-in session might help.  Also 65761, the Union Mills J26 has stopped a couple of times on the UP main, so I ran them in a tail chase.  Because 46443 runs quite a bit faster than 65761, even with the latter running at maximum speed, I had to stop 46443 a couple of times in the station and, on both occasions, it started nice and smoothly without a problem.  On its final half-lap on the UP main, I ran 65761 at its normal running speed and it ran back to the UP loops without incident, so I think everything should be back to normal again (whatever that may be).

In the afternoon, I had to go out and deliver election material for the local elections and, by the time I had finished, there wasnít time for another session in the Train Shed.  However, I did manage to upload another video onto YouTube.

I have been working on the public timetable for Marton Hinmarche in the time available and have made some progress.  I hope to be able to publish the finished product before too long.

PS I apologise for missing out the 'h' in Pwllheli in the video.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:25:29 PM by Innovationgame, Reason: Spelling error »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3172 on: April 09, 2019, 08:13:46 PM »
Today was a gym day.  I had a good session in the Train Shed before we went.  First, I placed all the new fence sections roughly in position to see how they would look.

The I ran the next two sub-cycles (9a/b).  I didnít need to film them because I can reconstitute them from previous filming sessions.  In the afternoon, I had more deliveries to make and, after I returned home, we had a cup of tea.  During the day, I realised that I needed to film the start-up sequences of 61664 and 80119 for Sub-cycle 9a and so I began by filming them. 

Then I filmed Sub-cycle 9c, which is quite different to what has gone before because Ditcheat Manor with the parcels train starts from the DOWN loops in the second half of the operational timetable, as opposed to the UP loops in the first half.  Once I had done that, I filmed the start-up for Sub-cycle 10a.  During this, Jubilee 45572 Eire, played up rather badly, so I gave it the IPA treatment and then ran it around for several circuits, tail chasing 80119.  In the end, it seemed to have settled down, so I should be ready for tomorrowís running session.  In the meantime, hereís the next little video sequence.

Iím not sure how much I will achieve tomorrow because we have U3A table tennis in the afternoon.  But I promise I will start painting the fencing soon.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #3173 on: April 10, 2019, 01:16:58 AM »
In the meantime, hereís the next little video sequence.

Laurence, I frequently finish my day watching your trains run! Thank you!!! One day I'll finish the day watching MY trains run but will never be able to record the events as you do. Maybe the occasional still photo, though.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3174 on: April 10, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »
Today was another gym day and I spent a reasonably long session in the Train Shed before we went.  I was able to run the next two sub-cycles (10a/b), which didnít require any additional filming, before filming some of the following sub-cycle (10c).  I didnít manage any scenic work today, mainly because we had U3A table tennis this afternoon.  However, I did manage to get on with quite a bit of video editing and I should be in a position to do more tomorrow.  Hereís the next little video.

I hope to be able to make some more progress with the scenic work in the next couple of days.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3175 on: April 11, 2019, 08:01:19 PM »
Today was the day we go to the hairdressers (about once every six weeks).  My appointment was early, so I didnít go to the Train Shed but concentrated on editing some of the video material.  I have realised that there is an error in yesterdayís video.  The milk train and the pickup goods should not be in the station, so I will have to shoot the station sequence again and reload it.  I have had a similar problem with two of the ones I shot yesterday.  In both of those cases, the milk train should not be there.

After I returned, we had coffee before Celia went off for here appointment.  I set about the abundance of small weeds growing on the drive, curtesy of Roundup.  By the time I had finished, Celia had returned and we had something to eat.

In the afternoon, I took Celia back into Hessle for a patients practice forum at the local health centre.  But, before we went, I managed to complete the first pass at painting all the fencing that I have made so far.

Then I did a bit more filming, shooting Sub-cycle 11a.  After that, I did some more video editing and uploaded the next video onto YouTube.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to complete painting the fencing and get it erected into position.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3176 on: April 11, 2019, 08:11:34 PM »
Excellent film, Laurence.  Tiverton Castle with its express train is a jolly fine thing.

Happy Haircut.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3177 on: April 11, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »
Excellent film, Laurence.  Tiverton Castle with its express train is a jolly fine thing.

Happy Haircut.

John
Agreed, a lovely film and, as ever, beautifully smooth running.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3178 on: April 12, 2019, 06:32:23 AM »
John
Agreed, a lovely film and, as ever, beautifully smooth running.
Martin
Thankyou for your kind words.  I'll try to make the corrections to the previous video today.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3179 on: April 12, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »
Today went into Hull on the train.  First thing, I set about my weekly chores and then, before we left, I managed to film all the replacement sequences for Sub-cycles 9a and 10a.  I didnít have time to film the ones for 10b, but at lease I managed to download those that I had shot before it was time to depart.  We went in on a 158, which are pretty swish for local trains in this part of the world. 

The reason for the trip was to visit Mr Marks and Mr Spencer before the store closes at the at the beginning of May.  However the trip was not very successful because they do not seem to be restocking the popular items.  The result is that there are a lot of odd sizes and unpopular lines in the store, but nothing that would have been of any use to us.  We had planned to stay longer in town and have a meal but, in the end, we returned home at the end of the morning on a trusty old bus (sorry, a 142).

After we returned, I set about editing the videos, which was more complicated than I had originally envisaged.  However, I finished 9a and 9b before it was time for a cup of tea.  Then I had another session in the Train Shed.  I filmed the required sequences to correct Sub-cycle 10b and then finished the fence painting.

The fence is now ready for fixing in place along the back of the cutting.  For tonightís video, I have uploaded the corrected version of Sub-cycle 9a, this time with no sign of the milk train nor the pick-up goods.

Tomorrow, I will try to fix the fencing in place and then think about some more hedging.  I will also have a go at the next Sub-cycle (11b).  In addition, I have committed to a lot of envelope stuffing in the morning.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108%