!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 309786 times)

bellringer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2610 on: August 21, 2018, 05:52:50 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial Laurence, as others have said, very neat work
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2611 on: August 21, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »
Today has been a very frustrating day.  Later on last night I noticed that there were some conflicts between the Dropbox files on my laptop and those on my desktop.  Unfortunately, I tried to synch both computers at the same time, which was a big mistake.  I got into a real muddle and compounded the problems by rebooting the laptop.  I thought I would switch off the synchronisation on both of them to stop them from interfering with each other, but that seemed to make matters worse.  Then I rebooted my desktop, but things seemed to get worse.  Finally, I left them over night but, in the morning, things were clearly not right. 

By this time, I was trying to do everything in my browser, directly into Dropbox.  One folder was inside one it shouldn’t have been.  I copied it back again but things were not good.  All my folders had disappeared in file explorer on my computers. In the end, I switched off the laptop and uninstalled Dropbox on my desktop.  We were supposed to go to the Gym this morning, but Celia felt a bit dizzy first thing, so we gave it a miss as a precaution.  Fortunately, she is fine again now.  So I reinstalled Dropbox on my desktop and left my computer to get on with it.

That gave me an opportunity to go to the Train Shed.  This time I cleaned all the tracks through the station.  Again I gave each one three passes, with each pass comprising a firm wipe with IPA followed by a second with a clean piece of card to mop up any residue.  Once I had cleaned all the station tracks, we set off for J Sainsbury, as we usually do after going to the gym.  We were earlier than usual, so we had a cup of coffee there. 

Coffee at Sainsbury’s has been a bit of an adventure in recent months.  So much so that we have been having coffee at the gym, even though the quality is inferior.  The problems with Sainsbury’s coffee have been that the machine, more often that not, has been out of action.  But now they have another machine with an all singing, all dancing visual display.  Unfortunately, when my turn came, the display indicated that the dregs tray needed emptying and it wouldn’t serve me until a member of staff had emptied it.  It’s a pity the manufacturers didn’t invest in a bit of technology to enable the machine to empty itself.  But we got our coffee in the end.

On returning home, I had a lot of (tedious) work to do, cleaning up the shower room because we have guests coming for the weekend.  Once that was done, I had another fight with Dropbox, but I decided that, as the laptop was turned off, I would just let it take it time, which amounted to several hours.  So I managed another session in the Train Shed.  This time I cleaned all the tracks on the up-leg board, using the same technique.  Then I was able to move all the trains out of the UP loops, ready for cleaning them tomorrow.

As I write this, Dropbox is still synchronising files, but I can see real positive progress.  So, by morning, it should be all right again.  Then, I will just have to switch on my laptop and synchronise (only) my model railway files.  If I need anything else while I am away, I can always access it via Dropbox in my browser.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2612 on: August 21, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
Blimey, Laurence; the machines are ganging up on you!

I'm very glad that Celia is fine now.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2613 on: August 22, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »
Blimey, Laurence; the machines are ganging up on you!

I'm very glad that Celia is fine now.

Best wishes.

John

Seconded. My Dropbox stopped synchronising properly a long time ago.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2614 on: August 22, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »
Yipee!     :bounce:

Dropbox is now synchronised on both computers.  By this morning, my desktop had finished synchronising, but the laptop struggled on until early afternoon.  It took several hours to synchronise the last few thousand files.  I noticed that the last file was an MP4 file, so maybe it had saved all the video files until the end.  They are anything from a couple of hundred Megabytes to half a Gigabyte, so it would take a long time to download them.  But, the main thing is that it as now all GO.  :beers:  We stayed at home today so I was able to get three sessions in the Train Shed.  In the first session, I was able to clean all the UP loops and start moving the trains back into them.  Then it was time for coffee, followed by more deep cleaning in the shower room.  After that, I cut the jasmine hedge on our little terrace.  I was then able to get in a second session in the Train Shed, during which I moved the rest of the trains back into the UP loops and moved all the trains out of the DOWN loops ready for cleaning.

Following a bite to eat, I started digging potatoes from the plants that bore the worst symptoms of blight.  I hope to be able to run the rest on for at least a month, particularly as the yield on these affected roots was not too good.  After that I began cleaning the track in the DOWN loops in my third session.  I had a break for a cup of tea and then continued to clean the DOWN loops.  As with the previous sessions, I have cleaned each section of track in three passes.  Each pass consisted of an initial application of IPA on clean card, followed by a cleaning action with a piece of dry clean card.  It was noticeable that the residue on the card decreased with each pass.  I suppose that, if I made a few more passes, it would become even less.

Once all the loops were cleaned, I moved all the trains back to their correct starting positions for the next timetable run.  I shall carry out another timetable run starting tomorrow, but I will try fitting more Easy-Shunt couplings as I go.  There was some more good news today in that the additional Easy-Shunt couplings that I ordered from Rails of Sheffield arrived.  I will also try and get the original panier tanks running more reliably again so that I can expand the timetable.  I’m currently working on the timetable expansion.  It may be more difficult that I originally envisaged because I have to ensure that I can move all the trains out of the loops for a cleaning cycle.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2615 on: August 22, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »

Dropbox is now synchronised on both computers.

Can I ask which version of Dropbox you use, Laurence. I use the freebie one but it is limited to 2GB and occasionally I have to delete something to get a new one in there :(?

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2616 on: August 23, 2018, 06:51:18 AM »

Dropbox is now synchronised on both computers.

Can I ask which version of Dropbox you use, Laurence. I use the freebie one but it is limited to 2GB and occasionally I have to delete something to get a new one in there :(?
I'm using the paid version 55.4.171.  I opted to pay because I decided to keep all my user files there and I have about 160GB of them.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2617 on: August 23, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
Likewise, Laurence. For photos., though, I use Photobucket.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2618 on: August 23, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
We didn’t go anywhere today because we have visitors coming at the weekend and needed to ensure that everything will be ready for them.  In my first session in the Train Shed, I ran the first cycle (1a/b/c).  There were some issues on the newly cleaned track.  80119 suddenly stopped while exiting the UP loops.  I tried it several times, with the same result.  It made a really loud growling noise, an extreme version of the noise you seem to get from the Lenz decoder at very low speeds.  In the end, I gave the track another wipe over with clean card and that seemed to do the trick, so maybe I need to make an extra pass with clean card when cleaning is finished.  Apart from a few niggles during the branch run-arounds, everything else passed off without incident.

One reason for staying in today was that I was expecting a package.  Yesterday, I received the extra Easy-Shunt couplings I ordered.

By the time I finished in the Train Shed, today’s package arrived.  It was a 4G mobile Wifi.

Using the Wifi, I will be able to use my new laptop wherever we are, particularly at the caravan.  It also allows me to use it in the Train Shed, as you can see here.

Apologies for the striations (technically, they are known as Moiré patterns) which are caused by the lack of correlation between the laptop screen pixels and the pixels of the camera.  I then got on with many of my Friday jobs to free up some time on Friday for other things.

Later I managed another session in the Train Shed, when I ran the next cycle (2a/b/c).  Forthampton Grange had a problem exiting the UP loops, but at a different location to 80119.  By the time it reached Marton Hinmarche, the station was quite busy.  Here’s a picture of it at Platform 2.

And here’s 80119 at Platform 3.

While 5572 waited patiently at Platform 4.

On the next sub-cycle, 46443 caused a short circuit exiting the UP loops, but I must have made an error setting the routes because, when I reset them, everything was fine.  On the next sub-cycle, Ditcheat Manor waited at Platform 3 while 64960 made its way into the goods loop.

It was noticeable that 64960’s drivers rotated constantly on this run, without any hesitation.  So, apart from some minor issues around the branch run-arounds, everything else was fine.

After that, I made a start on converting the remaining couplings.  I have completed convertingone of the prairie pony couplings and made a start on the next.  I have also completed work on one of the ‘B’ set couplings.  Tomorrow, I may give them another, reinforcing, coat of Liquid Poly on the joints for good measure.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2619 on: August 24, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »
Friday is normally our domestic chores day.  However, we managed to complete some of them yesterday, which gave us time today to go to Waitrose and Lidl.  However, before we went, I did get a running session in the Train Shed, running the next cycle (3a/b/c).  80119 again had a stop and start on the exit of the UP loops so, after the first sub-cycle, I gave that section of track another treatment with clean card.  There were one or two issues with the branch run-arounds, as usual, but they do seem to be going quite well.  However, 4571 had a front pony derailment on its in-run.  I tried it again with the same result.  It seemed to object to a larger than normal rail joint, although it had never had a problem there before.  After a bit of manipulation with my bent-nosed pliers on the end of the rail, it was fine again.  Otherwise, it was a good running session.

After our excursions, I had other chores to do and then, in the afternoon, I attended to the bird feeders (they are greedy beggars) and did some other garden jobs.  After a cup of tea, I managed to get back to the Train Shed for some more work on the couplings.  The coach bogie that I completed yesterday failed and had to be reworked, cutting away more of the bogie and re-adhering the coupling.  Then I set about the remaining pony truck coupling and the second coach bogie.  Here, you can see all four together.

Yesterday’s couplings are on the right of the picture and today’s are on the left.  Above them are the wheel sets for the bogies and the two internal NEM pockets to be fitted after the outer pockets are firmly secured.  Tomorrow, there will be more running and, possibly, coupling work but then our guests will arrive, so not much will happen over the weekend.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2620 on: August 24, 2018, 09:49:02 PM »
As ever the layout looks brilliant, and as ever I'm jealous  :drool:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2621 on: August 25, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
Today was an unusual Saturday.  Because we had guests and had a heavier load to bring back from Hessle, we went out early in the car.  I was able to get a brief running session in the Train Shed before we went out and ran the next cycle (4a/b/c).  45572 ‘Eire’ stopped on its way out of the UP loops and needed a bit of encouragement to get started again but, otherwise, ran well.  The rest of the mainline trains ran nicely.  The branch trains all ran well, apart from some shenanigans during the run-arounds.  Worst affected was 4571, with a front pony derailment, but 6713 had the odd stutter too. 

I may have to bury the Dapol magnets a littler deeper beneath the track because they seem to have too much pull on the pony truck couplings as they pass over them.  The bogie couplings and the panier couplings are not affected, but the pony trucks seem to be very sensitive to lateral forces.  I’m not sure how to bury them because I would need to cut away the 9mm ply baseboard to allow that.  Another ploy might be to raise the track slightly by inserting a second layer of cork underlay in the region of the magnets.  Our visitors will arrive soon, so this may be the last post for a couple of days.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2622 on: August 25, 2018, 04:42:58 PM »
I did manage a few more minutes in the Train Shed and re-assembled the bogies.  Unfortunately, the one I worked on yesterday came apart when I inserted the axle nearest the coupling and had to be repaired.  But it’s all OK now, although I will leave them for a couple of days for the plastic to really harden.

I also kitted out 6417 with a (corridor) coach and began running it in a roundy-roundy.  I will have to order a couple of suburban coaches for it, but I think it will do alright as a mainline (forwards only) infill local train to counter the parcels train when neither the milk train nor the pickup goods are running.

That really is it for now.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2623 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »
This morning I did manage a few minutes in the Train Shed before our guests got up.  The new couplings are all assembled now, apart from inserting the Easy-Shunts into the NEM pockets and adding the wheels to one of the pony trucks.  The wheels will come from on of the pony trucks on 5572.

I also gave 6417 a run out in its new guise as a mainline infill local passenger.  Of course it is waiting for its new suburban coaches and so it is having to do its trail runs with an old corridor coach.

I’ll see what else I can post over the bank holiday.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2624 on: August 26, 2018, 09:05:00 AM »
6417 looks to be a smashing little runner (as is my late crest 6412). Rather than suburbans I prefer mine with 1 or 2 autocoaches, though.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal