!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 207103 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2535 on: July 28, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
Don't do anything to the steps- adjust the crank as it's the thing that will have moved - they very often do with running - often they are not that well tightened in the factory.

Cheers
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

ďWe have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.Ē Ė Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2536 on: July 28, 2018, 06:34:21 PM »
Today, we went into Hessle as usual.  However, rain was threatening and had even started a little, so we went in the car, not wanting to risk a soaking.  Before that I had a quick session in the Train Shed and, as with my later session, I concentrated on trying to understand the problem with 64960.  I began by cleaning off as much excess oil as I could, using the little track magic brush inside the drivers and kitchen roll on the driver tyres.  Then I started it on another circuit, complete with train.  It wasnít too successful, with repeated stops until I set the acceleration back to zero again.  By the time it had almost completed a circuit, I stopped it and removed the train from the track, leaving just the J39.  Then it was time to go to the butcherís. 

After we returned, I had a lot of picking to do.  First it was raspberries and Sungold tomatoes, followed by peas and beans (runners, fine beans and Borlottis).  After that I lifted some potatoes and a couple of large carrots, followed by a small Greyhound cabbage.  That should keep us going for a day or two.  Then it was on with the hedge again.  I managed quite a lot of the tall yew clusters using the tools I had been using before.  But when it came to the last one, the trunks were so close together that there was no alternative but to get out a ladder and bring out my Wood Shark chain saw.  I needed the ladder because there was no way I could get my tower close enough to use the chain saw.  So I leaned the ladder up against the hedge in front of the trunk cluster and the Wood Shark made short work of the job.  Of course, in that situation, I had to be careful because using a chain saw on a ladder in that position could become a health hazard without sufficient care.  But that was an end to it.  After putting everything away, it was time for a cup of tea.  The clearing up of the debris may take several days, but at least all the hedge cutting is done (although there is still one hedge at the bottom of the garden, but itís not too tall and should not be a problem).

After a cup of tea I went back to the train shed, armed with my camera.  I established that the crank was not being fouled by the steps.  When it stopped, there was a clear space, albeit only about a fifth of a millimetre.  I then discovered that the coupling rods stopped in different positions, at least between forward and reverse.  This is the usual position for the lock up when going forward.

But in reverse, it was slightly different.

Then again, there was another position where the lockup occurred.

Seen from the other side hereís the position of the coupling rod when going forwards.

And hereís a different position, when going in reverse. 

Although these were the usual positions, there were also some variations.  I tried running 64960 at high speed (a scale 65mph).  It was much less prone to lockup and, in reverse, it seemed to hardly happen at all.  But, as I slowed the loco down, so locking up became more frequent.  In the end, I decided to refit its train and return it to Loop 18, ready for its run tomorrow.

The first time I noticed this behaviour was yesterday and I am sure it was fine before then.  It does seem strange and I guess, for now, I will just have to turn a blind eye to it until a solution emerges.  Tomorrow, I will return to timetable running and hope to start working on installing the Dapol magnets.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2537 on: July 28, 2018, 07:27:28 PM »
Oh dear. My usual trick of refreshing the page to bring up your pics just isn't working at all :(

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2538 on: July 28, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
Oh dear. My usual trick of refreshing the page to bring up your pics just isn't working at all :(
They're quite small files, less than half a megabyte each, so they should down load.  Here's a direct link:

Moderator Comment I've used image tags so the images are inline on the forum so people can view them easily

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:15:26 PM by Caz »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2539 on: July 28, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »
Aha. 30 minutes ago I could see the photos in your post perfectly.
Now I canít - despite refreshing the page.
I also cannot view your direct links.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2540 on: July 28, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
I can see the direct links OK and, damn me, I can see the pics in the post now ???

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2541 on: July 28, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
I can see the direct links OK and, damn me, I can see the pics in the post now ???

Same here.
Strange goings on  :doh:
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2542 on: July 28, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Aha. 30 minutes ago I could see the photos in your post perfectly.
Now I canít - despite refreshing the page.
I also cannot view your direct links.
This has to be a downloading problem.  Try posting the link into your browser address bar.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2543 on: July 29, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
FYI, page refresh works fine here.

Dave G

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2544 on: July 29, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »
FYI, page refresh works fine here.

Dave G

Ditto!

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2545 on: July 29, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »
Today was forecast to be a rainy day and so it turned out, although it wasnít as bad as the forecast.  I had an early session in the train shed and had another go with 64960, but with little luck.  It seems the load of the train is adding to the driver problem, so I removed the train ready to run the loco.  Then I ran the next timetable cycle (8a/b/c) before we went out to a garden centre for a coffee and so that Celia could pick up some craft items for her card making.  Later, I had a session pulling out most of my old suits that I havenít worn since I retired.  They are packed ready to take to Age UK.

Later still, I had another go with 64960 and it does seem to be improving.  There were a few spots where it stopped, but a quick burnish with the Peco track rubber sorted that out.  I was able to reinstate the acceleration and the wheels are now rotating much better with hesitations every few rotations and only short periods of complete sliding.  Then I set about making a video of live operations.  I had intended to film the whole of Cycle 9 but, on the first attempt at 9a, I made a complete botch-up of it.  The second attempt was a success, except that I forgot to start the camera rolling and didnít discover that I had filmed nothing until it had finished.  Finally, I managed to film 9a, but there wasnít time to complete the rest of the cycle, so I have included 9a here and intend to film the others next time and (try to) edit them into it.

My investigations into 64960 have led me to try and disconnect the coupling rods to see if they are the cause.  If not, I should be able to identify which of the driver pairs is causing the problem.  It should then be just a case of removing the culprit and carrying out some maintenance.  The only issue is that the Dapol tool is too small for the Farish bolts.  I have measured them across the flats (as best I can with a steel rule) and they seem to be 1.5mm.  If that is the case, I can order a 1.5mm nut spinner, which should allow me to remove the bolts and carry out the checks.  So I will order one and try it out.  The smallest one I have at present is 2.5mm, which is definitely too large.

Tomorrow, I will soldier on with the video and see if I can fit one of the Dapol magnets.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2546 on: July 30, 2018, 09:34:35 PM »
Today, we were back to our usual routine of table tennis this morning.  We had a long hard session.  Actually, it was the same one hour as usual but we had a lot of gruelling long rallies, which helps to keep us fit.  Before we went I had my usual time-stealing session in the Train Shed.  I concentrated on running 64960 for a few circuits and it is definitely running better, although the drivers are still prone to lock spasmodically.  I also tried the push-me-pull-you, but 9744 really didnít want to play ball.  So I gave 6417 a good dose of IPA and set it running around with 64960.  It seems to be running much better as well and will be used alone for the branch goods until the arrival of 6713.

After table tennis, we went to Waitrose because they keep sending me vouchers for £8.00 off if I spend £40.00, a discount of 20%.  So I buy six bottles of South African wine at a slightly reduced price (after the discount) compared with those I buy from Virgin Wines.  In the afternoon, we started clearing all the hedge cuttings (some were more like logs) and piling them on the grass (Iím loath to call it a lawn) ready for processing.  That will entail stripping all the small bits off to go in the shredder and cutting the rest into kindling and (small) logs.  Then I sprayed the potatoes with fungicide because there are definite signs of blight, even though I bought seed potatoes that were supposed to be blight resistant.

After a cup of tea, I repaired to the Train Shed to run the rest of Cycle 9.  The next sub-cycle (9b) took two shoots, which isnít too bad.  However, Sub-cycle 9c took no less than seven shoots to get it in the can.  The problems were mainly down to poor operator skills, although I had to make two or three restarts because locos failed to start from the station.  A bit of burnishing with the trusty Peco track rubber sorted that out, but it looks as though I need to finish the current timetable runs and then give the track a good clean.

Fortunately, I was able to dovetail todayís shoots onto the original one from yesterday, so the complete video of Cycle 9 is now available to view.  Obviously, the first part is identical to yesterdayís video, except that the music starts and finishes in different places.  Here it is, warts and all.

If you consider that this is just one of sixteen timetable cycles, it will give you some idea of the size of the whole operational timetable.  In fact, the timetable in real time takes somewhat longer because, on the video, I have cut out some of the dead time for station viewing.

Tomorrow, I will press on with the timetable runs to get to the point where I can start track cleaning.  In the meantime, I really will try to start fitting the Dapol magnets.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2547 on: July 31, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »
Out with the business suits and in with the wine: perfick!

Who said that schooldays are the happiest days of one's life?

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2548 on: July 31, 2018, 08:22:28 PM »
Today was much more like a normal day.  First thing, I had a session in the Train Shed and ran the next cycle (10a/b/c).  There was a slight issue because 80119 required the gentlest of nudges to restart from Platform 3.  This may be a result of the need for track cleaning, which will be my next priority.  The only other issue was with 64960, which ran well as a light engine, but some of its Farish box vans have very high rolling resistance.  As a result, I have removed them from the train, which runs much better as a result. 

After the timetable run, I cut away some sleepers on the branch run-arounds to fit the Dapol (half) magnets.  First, I tried with a cutting disk, which wasnít very successful and, because I had failed turn off the power to the controller, it led to a sudden rush in reverse for 3846 with its heavy goods train.  Before I could stop it, it reached a set of points set against it and caused a short circuit and derailment.  After a bit of remedial work, I eventually returned its train to its correct position.  Then I switched off the power and completed the sleeper cutting with a craft knife. 

After we arrived home, two packages arrived, containing the nut spinners I had ordered.

Unfortunately, they werenít of the correct size.  I measure the bolt heads of 64960 as 1.5mm across the flats, using a steel rule which wasnít a very accurate method pf doing it.  The 1.5mm nut spinner was much too small and the 2.0mm one just about managed it, but wasnít really big enough.  In fact, it seems to be exactly the right size for the Dapol bolts.  So I have now ordered one each of 2.5mm and 3.0mm nut spinners.  The 2.5mm hex socket that I have seems much too big, so there may be some disparity between the various methods of describing the size of them.

In the meantime, I started cutting up and shredding the piles of hedge trimmings that we amassed yesterday.  Tomorrow, it will be a case of more timetable runs, working my way towards track cleaning.  Also, I will try to cut a Dapol magnet in half, using my disk cutter.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2549 on: August 01, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
This morning we went to the gym as usual and I managed a good running session before we went.  I ran the next two cycles (11a/b/c and 12a/b/c) with nothing to remark but a couple of nudges, apart from the fact that I still hadnít set Route 27 correctly.  This meant that when I set Route 28 for Ditcheat Manor to emerge from the DOWN Loop18, it shorted at Point 27, which was set against it because Route 27 had diverted it into Loop 17.  So I had to retrieve the situation although, in doing so, I managed to derail the parcels train and had to put it all back on the tracks again.  Then I deleted Route 27 and replaced it with the correct settings and switched Point 27 individually to allow the parcels to pass.  Then everything was fine.  I noticed a couple of Typos on the new timetable sheets, so I will have to correct them eventually.

In the afternoon, we were due to go off to the caravan for a couple of nights, but because of a slight problem at home, we have decided to make it a day trip instead.  Itís not much of a break anyway because the decking and railings need treating with a linseed oil/white spirit mix to keep the weather out.  Funnily enough, its not the Winter cold and wet thatís the real problem but the effect of the hot Sun in the Summer.  So thereíll not be much running for the next couple of days. 

However, because we wonít be going to the caravan until the morning, I did, eventually, manage another session in the train shed.  This time I cut the sleepers at the Norton end of the branch and broke the second magnet into two (not quite equal) pieces.  I then fitted them into the run-around loops.

In addition, I treated some of the box vans with a squirt of locksmithís graphite powder, which made them run much better so I could re-insert them into the local pickup goods train.  I also had another think about couplings.  At present I have two Dapol Small Prairies fitted with spring couplings.  I really want to convert them to NEM pockets, but I donít have the confidence to do it.  I donít mind having a go at a suburban bogie because, if the worst comes to the worst, I can always get a spare bogie.  But I donít want to risk damaging my newly-acquired Prairies.  Does any one know who could do the conversions for me?
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55%