!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My first N Gauge layout in GWR 15' x 7' Era3  (Read 8201 times)

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
My first N Gauge layout in GWR 15' x 7' Era3
« on: January 01, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
this is my first attempt at a layout in n Gauge. the shed that i am building is 8' by 16' im going for DCC and the its going to be Era3, using GWR and LNER or LMS. First i will explain what you see below, the main station at the top is GWR and LNER or LMS. The inner two loops will be GWR Hall class and Castle. the outer two loops are LNER or LMS, and the braanch line, this will be GWR using autocoaches and that leaves the mian station goes down the left side and comes out the botton right side.

The layout will be on 3 layers, the frieght will be the lowest level, the main lines will be the middle layer, and the branch line when it leaves the main station will slow gather height to a top level.

Please any advice or pointers would be great. Please note i ave not compeleted it yet but want some feedback first.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:56:37 AM by GWR-Kris, Reason: Thread title change »

Offline Duncan83

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: My first N Gauge layout
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »
Happy new year buddy. This looks really good and like the sound of LMS  :thumbsup:

Offline GWR-Kris

• Awards
Re: My first N Gauge layout in GWR 15' x 7' Era3
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:49:34 AM »
cheers for the reply. has anyone any pictures of a GWR goods yards, and loco serivce areas?

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »
Huge project there Kris, looking forward to seeing it develop.

A simple google for GWR goods yards, and loco serivce areas will bring up a load of results, click on the images option in the google menu on the left and you will get a load of inspiration

Offline GWR-Kris

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »
Thanks Lawrence. its alot simpler than my first plan lol. was think of having the main station at an angle in the corner. im trying to avoid having too many tunnels but at same time trying to keep an element of realism and not see it going round and round in a loop.

Offline Lawrence

• N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
at same time trying to keep an element of realism and not see it going round and round in a loop.

By using angled scenic breaks, be it backdrops or large structures you can get rid of the roundy roundy feel but still enjoy watching the trains going past.

Putting the station at an angle means more benchwork and a longer reach into the corner unless you used curved platforms, having the layout on three levels will be tricky enough, don't make things too hard for yourself.

Offline brbluewill

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22442
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
looks fantastic kris :thumbsup: can't wait to see this progress.
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

Offline HellsGuardian316

• N Gauge Society Number: 22734
    • Darks Penthouse (Creative writing and Roleplay forum)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
The tracks on the left handside which I believe are middle level. Have you considered making those a viaduct as well? Possibly smoothing out the track to make it into two long sweeping viaducts.

Offline GWR-Kris

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:44:09 PM »
Right done a bit more of an update and changed the look a little. the main change is becasue im using flexi track created a few lengths of different sizes to get a rough idea how much track i will need. Maybe cus of thre size i might mix it with flexi and fix corners, but i do not think i will as there is not code 55 in set track.

Please give me your opinions good or bad as any input would be greatful.

Offline HellsGuardian316

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
Revised layout looks much better, the curves are still sharp in realism terms but considering the size of the station the only other choice would be to shrink it or make the angle of the station more to lessen the curve. If memory serves me correctly for former won't be a viable option.

Are you having the points on the station motorised or manual? I ask because the ones at the top most area are almost 3feet away and will also be on a higher level which might make reaching over everything to switch points a bit awkward.

Offline Gordini5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
Your platforms look like they will hold 13 coaches & loco, try scaling down to ten coaches plus loco and use the extra space to reduce the radius of your corners, unless you want 13 coach trains. Just a thought. ;D

Offline GWR-Kris

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Most of my corners are R3 and R4, except for the Inner 2 of the main line. All hidden points and furthest points will have motors attached. altho some are mainly just for realism, as there are always loads of points near stations.

Regards to platforms, i am planning on having a train with atleast 9 coaches attached. Think i need to get my locos out and measure more accuratly. or maybe fit a curved section and curve the platform. would be easier with flexi track than trying to use set track.

Offline HellsGuardian316

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
Point motors will be best I think.

As for train lengths, I can give you exact measurements from a list I have at home but if I recall correctly, 9 carriages excluding loco will be 9 pieces of peco double straights with 3" spare. Loco added will obviously take you to 10 doubles but as I said, will give you a full list when I get it tonight.

EDIT:
9 Carriages excluding loco is 8 pieces of Peco set-track Double straight and has 4" spare
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:40:13 PM by HellsGuardian316 »

Offline GWR-Kris

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »
Cheers for the above information.

Also what type of bridges are typical of GWR as i seen some Steel Truss bridges by Ratio Plastic Model Railways, and wondered if they would be suitable.

Offline HellsGuardian316

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »
Severn valley railway uses both Steel and Grey stone for their bridges. The bridge over the Dual carriageway on the outskirts of Kidderminster is grey stone while Victoria bridge by Trimpley/Bewdley is metal trusses painted red.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here