!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 1307 times)

Online Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Greetings
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:56:04 PM »
Hello everyone,
I have been registered for several months, lurking in the margins taking in lots of great info and ideas: I think it is about time I made myself known…………
About 20 years ago I started researching and then building a near scale end to end model of Brixham Station for my son (well that is what I said, really it was for me).  I am of a vintage that can just remember the last train running to Churston and at the time I started work on the model we lived very close to the old line.  The only way I could get anywhere near replicating the real thing in the space available was by going the N gauge route.  I got as far as building 2 of the planned 4 boards, starting work on the scenery, laying the track and completing enough wiring to be able to run trains (GWR and BR to 1963 period).  Then house moves, job pressures and life changes intervened, so the project first stalled then got totally shelved.  Fast forward 16 years to last August when I retired from the Services and along with having the spare time, I became the owner of a 12’ x 12’ dedicated man-cave.  With plenty of space available, thoughts turned to finishing off Brixham station.  I dusted everything off, joined the NGS and started designing/planning the remainder of the layout. 
It rapidly became clear that in the world of model railways things have moved on a very long way during the time I was away from the hobby!  Cue a change of direction with a DCC continuous run twin track main line around the walls of the cave and intention to incorporate a junction and the original branch line boards.  With a smattering of modelling licence I was able to come up with a fair representation of Churston and explain away the configuration/changes to the remainder of the layout.  To cut a long story short: after many design changes during development of the plan using Anyrail 5 I settled on the layout shown in the attached .jpg.  There will be different scenic sections around the continuous run separated by higher ground/short tunnels, a removable bridge across the door opening and the track behind the branch line boards running behind the back scene.  I have re-wired the original 2 boards for DCC operation and fitted point motors; my old Graham Farish locos have been converted to DCC; some new stock purchased (mainly from e-bay); the 3rd board for Northfields fuel depot was designed and built and then all 3 boards and DCC system comprehensively tested by running trains end to end.  In the last 2 weeks I have completed the construction of the glorified shelves for the main lines and the support benches for the branch line.  I am now ready to make a start laying track for Churston and the mainline circuit, but it will be another couple of weeks yet before I can start because I have a laser cutter to install / set to work and some other projects to complete first.
I will start some form of online progress thread when I get going again, explaining my reasoning and further background to the layout.   Am already finding a wealth of extremely useful information and advice on the Forum, but no doubt I will be asking many questions and requesting help/suggestions in the future too!  ;)
In the meantime, best wishes

Pete

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »
G'day from Australia, Pete, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

The plan and research are totally awesome. This is going to be a project that is going to earn you a huge following, mate.

Once again, welcome on board.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 09:32:33 AM »
Hi Pete, and welcome aboard :wave:
Thanks for the comprehensive intro to what you're up to in N gauge. Your choice of era/location certainly meets with my approval :D
You mention tracks running behind the backscene and I hope you have easy access to them as a well known law will mean that's where something derails/stops :uneasy:
My only other suggestion with the space you have available is not to have tracks parallel to baseboard edges in visible areas if possible (I refer to the LH and RH sides).

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »
Yep, agree. You have heaps of space for large sweeping curves which look so much better than dead straight.

Online Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
Thanks for the comments  :thumbsup:
The intention for the track on the "west" and "south" sides is to lay it with long sweeping curves, but I haven't really captured that very well with Anyrail: I will also add a couple more change over point combinations idc.  I am intending to fit an approx 12" high 1/8"ply back-scene all the way around the walls.  There is approx 4"between the wall of the cave and a lower profiled back scene to be fitted behind to the branch boards.  This will hopefully give a bit of depth, will be high enough to hide the trains running behind it  from direct view when stood in a normal operating position and allow access from above to sort out any problems if required.  I only have one point hidden in that section and TBH I'm not that  keen on it for reasons you state, but I can leave the area opened up and gain operating experience/reliability confidence before deciding whether to keep it or not. I intend the loop in the NW corner to be disguised in a similar way, but both entry and exits (where things are more likely to go wrong) will be in the open. 

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:35:34 AM »
Sounds like you know exactly what you are doing, so let's have lots of pics, please!  :thumbsup:

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »
 :welcomesign: Pete, great to have you on board
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087