!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Change points loose power  (Read 189 times)

Offline bob lawrence

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Change points loose power
« on: June 10, 2020, 12:59:55 PM »
Just completed wiring two points to operate together. Worked ok but when I ran an engine it stopped momentarily when the points were changed. All power was lost the the controller for about 1 second.
Still the same when points operated separately.
Points are both Peco PL11, the controller is a Hornby Select.
Can anyone help please?

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Change points loose power
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
Sounds like they are briefly overloading the controller, or more accurately, the power supply - what outputs does it have, and at what ratings? Are you using a CDU - Capacitive Discharge Unit - to fire the point motors?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:07:32 PM by chrism »

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
How are you powering the points? Ideally they should be on a separate supply to the track power and run via a CDU. Does the Select have a separate auxiliary output? (I've just been to the Hornby website but it has no details of the Select outputs other than that it is DCC).

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 02:43:24 PM »
Hi,

It sounds like there's a momentary short when the points change.
What kind of points are they?

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »
Need some clarification I think: are the points are being changed by DCC through a decoder, or by traditional AC/DC power? CDU or no CDU?  Where's the power for the point motors coming from?

For the traditional approach definitely use a separate power supply, don't try and use the DCC track output.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies but as I have said the point motors are  Peco PL 11 and the Hornby Select has a dedicated output for accessories so I have been using this. I have used this same system on numerous occasions and it has worked just fine, sometimes through a CDU and other times not, this time I didn’t.
I have never used the bus main to power anything other than the track.
To prove the wiring I have now used a separate power supply and wired in a CDU and of course it all works fine. I can continue using this set up but am now at odds as to what has gone wrong with the set up using the controller as a power source.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 06:39:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies but as I have said the point motors are  Peco PL 11 and the Hornby Select has a dedicated output for accessories so I have been using this. I have used this same system on numerous occasions and it has worked just fine, sometimes through a CDU and other times not, this time I didn’t.
I have never used the bus main to power anything other than the track.
To prove the wiring I have now used a separate power supply and wired in a CDU and of course it all works fine. I can continue using this set up but am now at odds as to what has gone wrong with the set up using the controller as a power source.

Try using a CDU with the Select controller's output - that draws the power from the power supply slower and the capacitor stores the power to fire the point motors, thereby reducing the short term high current draw from the PSU to a longer term lower current draw.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal