!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 54821 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #585 on: June 09, 2019, 09:36:58 PM »
Very glad that all, eventually, went well, Richard and you and the layout have safely returned. Clearly, some important lessons learnt but no serious damage, especially no damage to the model trains, which is the main thing. Next time should be easier.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #586 on: June 13, 2019, 08:01:28 AM »
On a "running in" turn after repairs, an Ivatt 2MT stands in the station at Longframlington with a brake van.

46474 has infuriated me since I bought her nearly five years ago.  Such a pretty little locomotive and absolutely right for the locations and period, but her coreless motor was very fussy about controllers, and really didn't like the AMR handheld which gives me such excellent slow speed control with the big open frame motors which power most of my fleet. Even on a pure DC controller she didn't really run especially well.

So she has now been extensively rebuilt, with a 1015 can motor in the tender driving the loco through a home made driveshaft coupled to the gutted remains of the coreless motor.  Sacrilege to some: but I now have a locomotive which runs the way I want it to.  A bit noisier than before, but I can live with that.  The driveshaft isn't especially obtrusive thanks to the enclosed cab, and I have added a loco crew to distract attention from it. I can't imagine many people wanting to do this to 140 worth of locomotive, but if anyone has any complaints, I assume this kind of thing is covered by Rule One :)

Richard

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #587 on: June 13, 2019, 08:30:47 AM »
Sounds like a major overhaul which I am totally incapable of doing. Well done sir.  :thumbsup:

As to being noisier, if you're happy with it and it runs better, so be it!

Personally the sound of electric train models is something which has never bothered me. I guess I'm indeed a dinosaur in these days of sound equipped locomotives!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:32:17 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #588 on: June 14, 2019, 07:28:29 AM »
A dull and overcast day in late July 1962, and 46474 patiently awaits departure with the branch goods.  Cattle and house coal were the principal traffic on most Borders branch lines.

Richard

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #589 on: June 14, 2019, 07:46:51 AM »
thank you for the atmospheric photo, i hope your loco is fit and well after  her trip to your works at longframlington. such a
beautiful loco.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #590 on: June 14, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »
Many thanks for this excellent atmospheric photo., Richard. I can see the rain clouds gathering!

The Ivatt 2-6-0s (and 2-6-2Ts) are, indeed, lovely locos.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #591 on: June 16, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »
Line closed for Sunday engineering works:

Today's job is to pull out the various inter-board connectors and cables (all seven of them) and install two DB25 sockets connected by a removable cable, also tidy up some of the other wiring so that there are no wires under strain, unsupported or at risk of getting tangled up in the servo mechanisms.  By the time I have finished there should be no wires dangling down underneath the boards which will make the layout easier to transport.

I had a bright idea at breakfast, dug up an old offcut of MDF and made up some 12" x 9" detachable end plates to protect the boards in transit and allow them to be rested upside-down on the floor for maintenance.  Such a simple idea: I can't believe I never thought of it before.

After this the next job is the fiddle yard for which my ideas are still evolving.  I plan to have five roads all around two feet long, with the centre road electrically split in two to take a loco and inspection saloon and / or 2-car DMU.  That will give me six trains to run which should be plenty. I was hoping to pick up a Metro-Cammell DMU - very North-Eastern - but I can't believe how much they go for.  Even early Poole ones with the motor bogie fetch strong money, and they were rubbish.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #592 on: June 16, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
I was hoping to pick up a Metro-Cammell DMU - very North-Eastern - but I can't believe how much they go for.  Even early Poole ones with the motor bogie fetch strong money, and they were rubbish.

Richard
I have a green 101 and 108. You are welcome to run these on Longframlington at Redcar in August if that helps?
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #593 on: June 16, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
The latest design GF 2-car Class 101s in BR Green do come up for sale, secondhand, on Hattons and other websites from time to time.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #594 on: June 16, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »
I was hoping to pick up a Metro-Cammell DMU - very North-Eastern - but I can't believe how much they go for.  Even early Poole ones with the motor bogie fetch strong money, and they were rubbish.

Richard
I have a green 101 and 108. You are welcome to run these on Longframlington at Redcar in August if that helps?
Kirky

That's a very kind offer, but as I am running 7.65mm back to back and very tight checkrail clearances (NMRA standard) I suspect they wouldn't make it through the pointwork at the station throat.  The downside of doing things my own way - I don't get to play with anyone else's trains  :'(

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #595 on: June 16, 2019, 08:59:06 PM »
Normal Working Resumed.  Considering the extent of today's electrical works I was amazed to find everything worked as before, except that I had got the connectors for the two uncouplers crossed over.  The main purpose of the day's work was to fit these to each board:

25-way (DB25) female connectors with screw terminals, sold as "breakout boards" whatever that means.  The cable is far too long: I have two DB25 plugs on order which I will use to turn my long cable into two short ones, so I will have a spare. I'm getting a bit obsessed with duplicating stuff:  I now have two handheld control boxes, two cables for them, two power box cables, two spare transformers for the power box, spare servos and servo mounts. I have an unmade MERG servo control board which I will build up as a spare. Whatever fails at a show, it will be something I don't have a replacement for.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #596 on: June 17, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »
That's a very kind offer, but as I am running 7.65mm back to back and very tight checkrail clearances (NMRA standard) I suspect they wouldn't make it through the pointwork at the station throat.  The downside of doing things my own way - I don't get to play with anyone else's trains  :'(

Richard
Ah yes, I remember you going down the NMRA standards route. Did you buy a gage (American spelling!) - one of them funky little NMRA devices with lots of little indentations showing various measurements?

Im having a little play myself with tighter checkrails. Ultimately though I'm probably going to stick to N gauge standards  for the same reason I'm not going down the 2 milFS route - wheel changes. I have that much stock that I couldnt even begin to think about either changing the wheels or even resetting the gauge.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #597 on: June 18, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »

Ah yes, I remember you going down the NMRA standards route. Did you buy a gage (American spelling!) - one of them funky little NMRA devices with lots of little indentations showing various measurements?

Im having a little play myself with tighter checkrails. Ultimately though I'm probably going to stick to N gauge standards  for the same reason I'm not going down the 2 milFS route - wheel changes. I have that much stock that I couldnt even begin to think about either changing the wheels or even resetting the gauge.
Cheers
Kirky

I made my own roller gauges using washers, shims and spacers all bolted together.  I should probably acquire an NMRA gauge to check my work, but things seem to run well enough.  I think "N2" (8.8mm gauge) was intended to allow checkrail clearances to be set around 0.75mm without having to regauge all your stock - the back to back is 7.45mm which is the NEM standard.  That assumes however that Farish and Dapol are following the NEM standard, which I haven't always found to be the case.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #598 on: June 23, 2019, 11:27:32 PM »
Another weekend line closure for engineering works - this time to install the new fiddle yard sector plate.  This is how it looks at the moment:

A piece of 2mm zinc coated steel, around 600mm long by 160mm wide, pivoting at its central point, with five roads (Peco code 80 glued down with PVA adhesive).  Slightly longer than the cassettes I was using before, will now handle a loco and nine wagons comfortably.  I need to rework and fit the drop-down board extension, I had to remove it as one of the hinges fouled the sector plate at the end of its travel.

I spent hours thinking about various options for aligning the tracks and getting power to them.  In the end I came up with this simple idea for power transmission - a bulldog clip and a bit of PCB with some wires soldered to it.  It seems to work, although it will probably be better if I glue the PCB strip to the bulldog clip.

As for track alignment, I have found that I can do it easily by eye, so I don't need bolts to align the tracks.  I have left the remains of the connectors for the cassettes in place for now as they aren't getting in the way. Two short brass pins bear on the top of the sector plate, pressing it against the baseboard to ensure correct vertical alignment of the rails.

Plenty still to do: I need to make up a pair of end guards which will pivot upwards, a bit like the visor on a motorcycle helmet.  Also still to be added is a central carrying handle.  The idea is to set up five trains on the sector plate and run them in sequence.  Once they have all returned and are facing the wrong way I drop the end guards, lift out the sector plate, turn it round and start again.  I need to elongate the pivot hole slightly so that the sector plate can be pushed right up against the entry track to minimise the gap in the rails. 

It's a shame I don't quite have the room for a train turntable.  Longframlington has to fit into quite a small space at home and I can't go any wider on the baseboards.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #599 on: June 24, 2019, 12:51:06 PM »
Nice job, Richard.
The hugely technical electrical umbilical is right up my strasse ;D

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here