!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 56013 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #345 on: October 18, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »
Thank you for the pictures.
Little cameo scenes really do bring a layout to life.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
Excellent photographs; thank you very much.

All good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: October 18, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »
 :greatpicturessign: :thankyousign:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
Wot they said.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #349 on: October 18, 2017, 10:22:04 AM »
Thank you very much for another excellent set of photos. I also have one of those BR SWB Palvans. I believe that the kits are now owned by the N Gauge Society and will be reintroduced, soon.

Nice to see part of a BR Maroon Gresley design coach. I'm glad that you're now able to run trains on this lovely little layout.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #350 on: October 18, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »
Hi Richard @belstone
Lovely work!
Please can you remind us what choices you have made about couplings?

i was very interested to read that you needed to fettle your stock to make it it run well over finetrax. Have you you re wheeled older stock, presumably you are using wheels with minimal flange depths?
Thanks again
Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime!

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: October 18, 2017, 11:21:17 PM »
Hi Richard @belstone
Lovely work!

i was very interested to read that you needed to fettle your stock to make it it run well over finetrax. Have you you re wheeled older stock, presumably you are using wheels with minimal flange depths?
Thanks again

cheers
Kirky

Couplers are Micro Trains magnetic knuckles for now, I haven't given up on my own design but haven't had the time to completely rework the CAD drawings to overcome a basic design flaw that I identified a while back.  The MT knuckles are designed for American bogie vehicles and not ideal for little four wheeled wagons, but they are generally pretty good once set up. If I could come up with a reliable electro-magnetic uncoupler for them they would be even better, but that one has defeated me so far.

Flange depth on older wheelsets can be a problem, my Minitrix Gresley brake end rides on the sleepers rather than the rails at the moment. Most stuff made in the last 20 years is OK. The other issue is back to back measurement which needs to be 7.4mm near enough exactly,maybe a little wider but certainly no narrower, and a lot of RTR wheelsets are some way off this. Regauging a new Farish 2MT took a certain amount of bravery on my part.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
Hi Richard @belstone
Lovely work!
Thanks Richard, most interesting.
Iím especially interested to see how you tackle your own coupling design. Very interesting indeed. As I understand it there are more than one options available for 2mm FS. Not a clue about using electro magnets tho.
Cheers
Kirky

Thanks again

cheers
Kirky

Couplers are Micro Trains magnetic knuckles for now, I haven't given up on my own design but haven't had the time to completely rework the CAD drawings to overcome a basic design flaw that I identified a while back.  The MT knuckles are designed for American bogie vehicles and not ideal for little four wheeled wagons, but they are generally pretty good once set up. If I could come up with a reliable electro-magnetic uncoupler for them they would be even better, but that one has defeated me so far.

Flange depth on older wheelsets can be a problem, my Minitrix Gresley brake end rides on the sleepers rather than the rails at the moment. Most stuff made in the last 20 years is OK. The other issue is back to back measurement which needs to be 7.4mm near enough exactly,maybe a little wider but certainly no narrower, and a lot of RTR wheelsets are some way off this. Regauging a new Farish 2MT took a certain amount of bravery on my part.

Richard
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:01 AM »
Another field trip to Longframlington to capture the last days of this forgotten branch line: 46474 on the morning service to Morpeth, and 65789 backing onto a goods after shunting the yard.

The full extent of Longfram's passenger stock at the moment: I repainted this elderly Minitrix Gresley coach in maroon, then had what I thought was a disaster when I varnished it and it turned pink.  With a bit of weathering it now looks suitable tatty and worn-out, a former express coach seeing out its last days on a quiet rural branch.

Driver's eye view...

More reliability testing last night (i.e. running trains), lots of problems with sticking turnouts and I may have to redesign the operating mechanism.  Couplers are working well with only the odd failure.

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #354 on: October 20, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
Thanks for another excellent set of photos., including the Minitrix Gresley brake end coach which looks excellent in its repainted weathered condition. It seems to be a different design from the Dapol ones?

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2018, 02:16:04 PM »
The coupling / uncoupling issues are down to trip pin adjustment and slightly narrow back to backs on a couple of wagons

Oh dear. You'll have to help me out there please. How can B2B affect coupling/uncoupling? :confused2:

On a short wheelbase wagon, if the BtoB is too narrow, the whole wagon can skew sideways on the rails, which means the couplers no longer line up with each other.

Thanks for the explanation, Richard. I have the Dapol easi shunts to apply to layouts yet and had not heard anyone mention the B2B as being an issue but what you say makes sense.
I'm hoping to be able to saw the magnets in half so as not to have such an enormous gap in the sleepers.
Assuming you mean you'll be shortening them, not making them narrower, the idea is somewhat appealing, but I have 2 reservations
1).  Will shorter magnets not be less powerful?
2).  Will the mechanical/physical action of sawing not reduce the overall strength of the sum of the two shorter magnets?
The reason for the second question is that hammering/dropping magnets can reduce their strength.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »
I believe halving the magnets (across not lengthwise) has been done successfully but am not sure who it was. Maybe @Caz

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2018, 07:10:59 PM »
I believe halving the magnets (across not lengthwise) has been done successfully but am not sure who it was. Maybe @Caz

I have halved the Microtrains magnets as they are quite a bit longer than the Dapol version.  I suppose you could halve the Dapol ones but you'd have to be very accurate with the positioning of the train.  I only halved the microtrains ones as I had a few in stock as initially I was going to use Microtrains but fitting them to some UK locos and stock was more trouble than it was worth.

To halve the Microtrains ones, I scored a line on one side of the magnet and then broke them into 2 pieces as it usually snapped at the scored line.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2018, 08:02:31 AM »
Seeing as this thread has come back to life, a very quick update: Longframlington is in temporary storage while I have another go at perfecting my own design of coupler:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=22058.195

The next problem is that the new couplers will use under-track magnets, either electromagnets or permanent magnets with some kind of raising and lowering mechanism, and I need to find a way of retrofitting these to the layout without disturbing the trackbed.  This might take a bit of experimenting. Once that is done I have to sort out the persistent reliability issues with the point motors, tidy up the wiring and after that I might look at taking the layout to a couple of shows.

I also have a mad plan floating around in my head to pull up all the track and relay it in 2mm finescale, but that might have to wait a year or so.

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »
Thanks for the welcome update, Andrew. I do hope that you won't rip up all the track without having replacement track ready as it is such an attractive layout.

Re: point motors, there is a good discussion, here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=34324.new;topicseen#new

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything