!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 58128 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #330 on: September 30, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
Excellent stuff, and the B&W pic is great.  :thumbsup:

So the big flanges run on Finetrax, obviously.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #331 on: October 01, 2017, 10:37:58 PM »
October 1963: just a few weeks before closure, one of North Blyth's long-serving J27s propels a string of vans into the bay platform at Longframlington.  65789 outlived all the Border Counties branch lines, soldiering on until July 1967. By Christmas it had been cut up for scrap.

The Longframlington-Morpeth passenger trains have long gone, and instead an elderly Bedford OB motor coach waits hopefully for passengers.

(Model notes: the J27 has been hanging around "almost finished" in my in-tray for ages, and finally has a front coupling and some weathering.  The Bedford was a bargain I picked up at a swapmeet today and has yet to receive the usual coat of matt varnish to tone it down a bit.)

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #332 on: October 02, 2017, 12:34:47 AM »
Coming from reasonably close by, I find these photos wonderfully nostalgic.  Thanks for sharing!   :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: October 02, 2017, 06:39:21 AM »
Thank you for another set of highly realistic photos.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #334 on: October 02, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »
Whitsun Bank Holiday, 1953: a string of locomotive failures left North Blyth shed without a single vacuum-braked locomotive to work the Longframlington portion of an excursion to the coast.  Control took a deep breath and despatched the Tweedmouth stand-by loco tender first to Longframlington. Fortunately the loco on duty was a V2 rather than the usual Pacific. Having successfully run round its train without derailing on the points or spreading the track, 60807 prepares to head back to the safety of Morpeth.

(Well and truly out of place here, this loco is destined for my Waverley Route layout when that gets built around 2030.  It is as bought, needs renumbering and heavy weathering, the St Margarets V2s that worked the heavy freights between Edinburgh and Carlisle had a hard life and always looked unloved.).

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #335 on: October 02, 2017, 08:02:05 AM »
Another excellent monochrome photo. and good to see an immaculate V2.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »
Another excellent monochrome photo. and good to see an immaculate V2.

Certainly unusual to see an immaculate V2, or even a fairly clean one. They seemed to be invisible to the cleaning gangs.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:37 AM »
What a super photograph!

'V2's are lovely engines and a clean one in that livery is hard to beat.

I expect the Longframlington branch was upgraded to RA9 during the Second World War.

I'm already looking forward to your Waverley Route model.

Thank you for these wonderful photographs.

All the best from close by the Waverley Route.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #338 on: October 02, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »
Yep, there are some locos I just won't weather, but with the V2, for that photo, I'd think about it for atmospheric reasons.

Fantastic pic, regardless!  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
That J27 is a little cracker. I have the same V2 as you and had to buy the Farish Master Cutler set as I wanted a black one.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #340 on: October 02, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »
 :pmsign:

I expect the Longframlington branch was upgraded to RA9 during the Second World War.

That was my thinking, a few branches ended up that way.  The Withernsea branch was uprated to RA9 and someone at Control put it to the test by sending an A2 down it.  All was fine, unlike the infamous occasion when Tweedmouth had nothing to work the Duns branch goods and a Sulzer Type 4 (Class 46) was dispatched from Gateshead to do the job. It ended badly, with the Gateshead breakdown crane being called out to rerail the "Peak".

Richard

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #341 on: October 02, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
I remember V2s working the express passenger trains that we used to see thundering over the Great Central girder bridge across the West Coast Main Line at Rugby, pulling trains such as The Master Cutler and The South Yorkshireman.  They were always pretty clean and made a very fine sight at the head of a rake of corridor coaches.  The usual menu there was 9Fs with the express freight trains that always left an odor of fish in their wake, but V2s, L1s, K1s and B1s were also seen most days.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »

This isn't an unusually long pickup goods: I have moved from scenery to rolling stock and have been going through my wagon collection sorting out various issues.  Wagons need careful fettling to run on this layout.  Back to back measurement is critical to avoid derailments on the Finetrax turnouts which are very beautiful but not as forgiving as Peco Code 55. The Micro Trains knuckle couplers all need to be at the same height, trip pins aligned and set at the right height above the rails.  I have now dealt with 23 wagons and another half-dozen to go.

The wagons are a strange mixture by modern standards.  About half are Parkwood body kits on Peco chassis, built a good few years ago.  There are a few Peco ready to run, a couple of Dapol, and an ancient Minitrix brake van, with Chinese-made Farish making up the rest.  Most of my open wagons have loads: as you can see, some of these are cast resin items from Ten Commandments which still need painting.

Coaching stock next, which won't take too long as there are only three coaches.  After that I will be doing extensive reliability testing, i.e. running lots of trains.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
For several years after the end of regular passenger services, there was an unadvertised weekday train to Morpeth for schoolchildren.  The morning train also brought parcels and newspapers.  46474 departs Longframlington and passes the level crossing with a couple of vans (including one of the short-lived Palvans) and a Gresley brake third.

(Model notes - more work on couplers and I can finally run a passenger train although the front coupler on 46474 isn't right yet.  Reliability is not too bad considering nothing has run for months: I had a happy half hour shunting goods wagons, so things are looking up.)

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »
Later the same day the daily goods ambles into the station behind a relatively clean J39.  64843 was a long-time resident of Tweedmouth shed and normally worked the Eyemouth branch, so its presence here is unexplained.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal