!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 54823 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #300 on: August 30, 2017, 08:38:15 AM »
A very good point, Kirky.

Thumbs up from Oz!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »
A bit of fiddly stuff over the weekend, tidying up some rough edges and starting to glue down various bits of scenery and add details.

The benches are Chinese plastic items, widely available on eBay and actually rather nice.  They come in a rather lairy orange and black paint finish (Glasgow PTE?) so I have given them an initial coat of grey while I decide what colour they ought to be. Probably weathered wood i.e. grey, but with painted wrought iron ends.

The signal is a slightly wonky attempt at a North British lattice post affair, using MSE etched components. This is my second attempt - the lattice posts need to be soldered together from two halves, and the etches are so fine that even with the resistance soldering unit they bend and distort when any heat is applied. The first one was reduced to scrap brass and this isn't much better although just about OK from a distance.  It is still far too heavy and solid looking to my eyes, the real thing was astonishingly spindly and probably impossible to model accurately in N gauge.  The ball finial is a sewing needle pushed through a piece of No. 12 lead shot and I'm glad I won't have to do that again for a while. Operating lever and spectacle glazing still to be added, and no, it doesn't work. Stick to the Great Western, folks, tubular steel signal posts are much easier to make.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: September 04, 2017, 08:47:32 AM »
The ball finial is a sewing needle pushed through a piece of No. 12 lead shot and I'm glad I won't have to do that again for a while. Operating lever and spectacle glazing still to be added, and no, it doesn't work. Stick to the Great Western, folks, tubular steel signal posts are much easier to make.

Richard

That's either devotion to modelling or sheer insanity :-\
The finished article looks pretty good, though. :thumbsup:

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2017, 06:56:22 AM »
I was wondering what to do with this awkward area at the end of the houses and decided to turn it into a slightly rubbish playground of the kind I remember as a child.  So I made a couple of swings out of wire and PCB sleepers. There is also a bench for Grandad to sit on and smoke his pipe, while the children try to put themselves in A&E by misusing the play equipment.  Still to come:

A slide, the sort which always seemed to be wet after recent rain so you got stuck half way down.

Goalposts painted onto the end wall of the house.

Maybe one of those little roundabout things, although they look a bit fiddly with all those handrails.

Any other suggestions for not very good playground items are welcome. Remember this is the early Sixties, so no skateboard ramps :)

Richard

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2017, 07:08:56 AM »
Like the picture.  :thumbsup:

Far too fiddly for me but a great idea the kids play area.

Busch do a couple of kits and they may give you some ideas. Busch codes I've been able to find are 8063 and 8064. Langley also did and may still offer their white metal kit.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Dave G

Offline Yet_Another

• N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »
One of those little horses on a big spring, that were always bent over in one direction or another.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
The recreation ground at Wolverton had swings (kiddies and adults), a roundabout and two big rockers - one with a horses head and many seats along it, and the other shaped like a long canoe. Oh, and a sand pit.
Don't forget the simple see-saw.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:02 AM »
Hi Richard
This is the playground on Northallerton, which I have to admit is a kit, PD Marsh I think.

I dont think it would be out place in the sixties. Having said that, your swing looks a lot finer than the pretty rough stuff that comes as a white metal kit. I made it more modern by adding bark chippings. Im pretty sure when I was a kid in the sixties and seventies there was no bark chippings to save your knees and elbows so you wouldnt need to bother with that.
cheers
kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »
I was looking at the layout last night after adding a couple more details and realised it is starting to have a "nearly finished" look to it. I have added telegraph poles, a couple more vehicles, and cut down my signal to a more typical height for a platform end starter.  I glued a brass pin into the end of the post, so it plugs into a hole in the baseboard and can be removed for track cleaning and maintenance. 

Time to see if everything still works: one of North Blyth's elderly J27s shunts the daily goods, not long before closure of the line in 1963.  The photographer's Vauxhall estate is parked outside the station in the background.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »
made it more modern by adding bark chippings.

Bark chippings? Bark chippings?
We had it tough. The only things that got barked were shins, knees and elbows. None of that there namby-pamby Elf 'n' Safety stuff back then :no:

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
Didn't you ever use cork bark for cliff faces.

Very state of the art in the 60s. Which is where both our heads are when it comes to music.

Belstone, it's looking great!  :thumbsup: :beers:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:26:25 AM by Bealman »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2017, 09:36:17 AM »
Didn't you ever use cork bark for cliff faces.

Got a box of it ready to use on Kimbolted, George :)

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »
Cool!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
Stunning! I do hope that some day we get the chance to see this layout exhibited.

Roy

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:31 AM »
Stunning! I do hope that some day we get the chance to see this layout exhibited.

Roy

Thank you Roy, you're too kind.  I have built the layout with exhibitions in mind, but I'll need to do a lot more work on reliable running before I dare take it anywhere. Meanwhile I have been gently fiddling, adding bits of vegetation, gluing down buildings and splodging matt varnish over anything that looked too shiny.  Next (possibly last) really big job is to sort out a lighting rig and facia board.  I'm a bit worried that I have done all the scenic work under not too good lighting, and I don't know how it will look with proper illumination.  Only one way to find out...

Meanwhile at Longframlington it is March 1958, and a grotty B1 awaits departure with a special for Rothbury Races.  By the time the loco has run round at Meldon then wobbled along the entire ramshackle length of the Rothbury branch, it would probably have been quicker to walk. The run round loop will actually take four Mk1s comfortably but I'll need a longer fiddle yard cassette.

Richard

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here