!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 56089 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
@belstone
Thanks Richard. That's a terrific reply, all the info I needed.
Thanks for the photo too, it certainly helps in understanding what you've done.

So just to complicate things then, using your method of construction do you think it would be possible to convert fine trax straight points to curved ones if you cut away the sleepers and pasted them to a templot template? Just wondering.

Thanks again Richard, your work has cheered me up no end and since according to Mrs K and the K offspring I'm being a right miserable git at the moment.
Cheers
Kirky.
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2016, 08:01:27 AM »

So just to complicate things then, using your method of construction do you think it would be possible to convert fine trax straight points to curved ones if you cut away the sleepers and pasted them to a templot template? Just wondering.

Thanks again Richard, your work has cheered me up no end and since according to Mrs K and the K offspring I'm being a right miserable git at the moment.
Cheers
Kirky.

There was an article in the 2mmFS magazine a few months ago on curving the almost identical Easitrac bases.  The idea is to cut away  the base leaving a central "spine" so that the whole thing doesn't fall to bits and the gap between sleepers is maintained.  It ends up very fragile until it is fixed down, so you are best building it on a balsa sub-base.  I tried flexing a turnout by cutting away the entire width between the sleepers (before the 2mm article came out) and that didn't really work.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: September 19, 2016, 12:16:52 AM »
I think I'm going to have to join the 2mil association. I was talking to Mick Simpson of Wansbeck Road fame a couple of weeks ago, and he was showing me the brass sleepers that 2mmFS do in order to allow droppers to be soldered to them - very neat solution.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »
The postman brought small boxes of stuff so I have spent an hour or so happily adding bits to the station area.  While I was waiting I did a bit more to the station building - roof cappings are painted paper, as are the "lead" flashing strips in the corners.  I still need to add chimney pots but will leave them until later as they always seem to get knocked off.  The building is now glued down, but the gap at the base needs very carefully filling.

The tree was the dreaded leprechaun's hat colour - possibly the brightest green I have ever seen.  Do people actually look at real trees before they manufacture this stuff?  Anyway I wafted some black spray paint over it, dipped it in the mixture of green flock in the bottom of my "flock box" and blasted it with hairspray to fix the flock in place.  I drilled a hole in the baseboard and set the tree in DAS clay.  Once it has dried I will blend the base in with the ground around it.  The garage is a Kestrel kit, just what I was looking for, it has had an inintial coat of black but needs a bit of weathering. You can also see some of the dry stone wall - interlocking bits of cast resin, very neat and easy to assemble.

I bought some etched spearpoint fencing many years ago but this is the first time I have been brave enough to use it as it is incredibly flimsy.  Painted with matt white car primer and secured in small slots in the platform with cyano.

Finally the water tower, still a work in progress and not yet fixed in place.  I am now onto my sixth attempt at the water and it still looks rubbish. 

I have realised that, bar a few details, the first 18 inches of the layout is scenically nearly complete. I have no idea how that happened.

Richard

P.S. Photobucket seems to have gone down while I was writing this - hopefully the photos will be back shortly.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2016, 09:59:05 PM »
Thanks for these photos., Richard. I think I have the same tree and I definitely have the same type of walls but mine are made from plaster not resin and need filing and filling before painting. The final results look surprisingly good. (I will post pictures when we get some sunshine.)

The overall effect of all your scenic work is excellent, better than I have achieved so far at Cant Cove. Highly realistic. All it needs is some figures to bring it to life.

How about a platelayer or two?
http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/ws020-pw-gang-with-fishplate-spanner/

They come in N Scale as well as others. (I'm definitely going to treat myself to some of these excellent figures, later.)

I will also be buying similar (but SR-pattern) etched spearpoint fencing but won't be fitting it until I ahve the station buildings worked out and the station yard area completed due to, as you reminded me, such fencing's extreme fragility in N Scale.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »
It's coming along extremely well :thumbsup:

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »
Thanks for these photos., Richard. I think I have the same tree and I definitely have the same type of walls but mine are made from plaster not resin and need filing and filling before painting. The final results look surprisingly good. (I will post pictures when we get some sunshine.)

The overall effect of all your scenic work is excellent, better than I have achieved so far at Cant Cove. Highly realistic. All it needs is some figures to bring it to life.

How about a platelayer or two?
http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/ws020-pw-gang-with-fishplate-spanner/

They come in N Scale as well as others. (I'm definitely going to treat myself to some of these excellent figures, later.)

I will also be buying similar (but SR-pattern) etched spearpoint fencing but won't be fitting it until I ahve the station buildings worked out and the station yard area completed due to, as you reminded me, such fencing's extreme fragility in N Scale.

Actually the walls might be cast from plaster, it's a bit brittle whatever it is.  There won't be many little people on the layout - looking at photos of branch lines in the area, people is one thing they didn't have (which is why they all closed well before Beeching).  But there will be a few.

Thank you for your kind comments about my scenery.  I try to avoid bright colours which seems to work quite well, I don't like anything to stand out too much.  I briefly toyed with the idea of actually building a model railway in "black and white" i.e. fifty shades of grey :) for that steam-era look, but then decided that was a bit too barking mad even for me.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »
@belstone
Hi Richard
I like the water tank. I know the picture showing the water maybe doesnt give it the best angle, but really I cant see a problem with the water in your tank. Looks very effective to me.
Love the fencing, looks excellent.
I think youre right about trees though, they never look realistic, even the expensive ones are a bit rubbish in my opinion. They almost always need toning down. Having said that, I enjoyed making trees on Norhallerton, I found it quite therapeutic.
Its looking really good Richard. And all in such a short space of time.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2016, 11:06:13 PM »
@belstone
Hi Richard
I like the water tank. I know the picture showing the water maybe doesnt give it the best angle, but really I cant see a problem with the water in your tank. Looks very effective to me.
Love the fencing, looks excellent.
I think youre right about trees though, they never look realistic, even the expensive ones are a bit rubbish in my opinion. They almost always need toning down. Having said that, I enjoyed making trees on Norhallerton, I found it quite therapeutic.
Its looking really good Richard. And all in such a short space of time.

Cheers
Kirky

Thank you for the kind comments. Small layouts are good in that you can see a lot of progress very quickly, but I'm already starting to think "what do I build next?" The other baseboard isn't likely to take too long as it is mostly buildings which I have already constructed. Few roads and pavements, a level crossing and a bit of rough ground is all.  Then I can get on and build some locos for it, maybe take it to a couple of shows.

I think I need to do something different next time.  Longframlington is basically my previous layout "Belstone" with some of the worst mistakes corrected.  I'm thinking 2mm finescale, 1930s and probably the Great Northern in Lincolnshire. Spilsby looks promising:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/spilsby/

Online Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2016, 11:13:53 PM »
Hi Richard

Longframlington is looking excellent already and your modelling is certainly an inspiration to me and an encouragement for me to lift my game in design and execution of my next layout.

I am so torn between using FiNetrax on my next layout and the alternative of carefully weathered Peco Streamline, mainly due to my lack of confidence on making point kits well enough. Your layout clearly shows the benefits of Wayne's excellent products and I think I will give a further point kit a try before finally deciding.

Please keep posting the updates!

Kind Regards

Roy

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2016, 11:50:46 PM »
Hi Richard

Your muted colours and uncluttered layout really does look realistic. I like what you have done very much. A fine example of less is more in layout construction.

Webbo

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »
Hi Richard

Your muted colours and uncluttered layout really does look realistic. I like what you have done very much. A fine example of less is more in layout construction.

Webbo

Thanks for that. The minimalist approach doesn't appeal to everyone, but I like the feeling of space that it gives, even on a small baseboard.  As discussed on another thread, people tend to model what they see around them, and I have lived most of my life surrounded by wide open countryside so I suppose that is reflected in my modelling.  The other end of the layout will be more of a challenge for me - houses, shops and stuff. My dream job would probably be signalman at somewhere like Dent or Blea Moor :)

Richard

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
Richard

Houses and shops are part of life and are necessarily more busy looking than more countryside scenes, but even so they don't have to look crammed together. As you say, the minimalist approach does not appeal to everyone. Stick with it in my opinion.

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
Dunno about signalman at Dent or Blea Moor... bit far to pub!

I did stay in the Sun for a night in Dent in 2014, though. Great meal and great playing dominoes with the locals.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »
I have realised that, bar a few details, the first 18 inches of the layout is scenically nearly complete. I have no idea how that happened.

Excellent modelling - the emptiness and feeling of space is so authentic. The consistency of stone colours across the buildings, walls and trackbed (not always seen in layouts ..) is especially realistic!

The building is now glued down, but the gap at the base needs very carefully filling.

Maybe since services dropped off, some weeds would start sprouting, just there?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything