!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Battery boxes  (Read 12344 times)

Offline michael

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22982
    • Ebay
    • Crewe Paint Shop
    • Awards
Farish Battery boxes
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »
Anybody know the best place to get some farish battery boxes, I have a few locos missing them!

thanks

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Re: Farish Battery boxes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
Peters Spares, or BR Lines are the best places to go.  I was after Class 50 (Poole) battery boxes, but there were none in stock.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 08:06:36 PM »
Anybody know the best place to get some farish battery boxes, I have a few locos missing them!

thanks

Which locos do you need them for, I may have a few you can have from doing kits
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Ozymandias

• N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
I'm also looking for two Class 50 battery boxes if anyone's got any!
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »

thanks

If your looking for the early Farish 47's I can cast you some in black resin.

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:10:48 AM »
Hi Mr Sprue

Are you making those class 47 battery boxes to order? I could be interested in a few.

In response to others' requests, the original Poole boxes are becoming harder to find. Bob at BR Lines has some class 56 (I believe) boxes, which are original Poole Farish. I'm not at home to check right now but I believe they will fit your class 47 if you don't mind them not being truly prototypical. I think Bob mentioned that he had battery boxes for other classes but that they were Bachmann style and didn't have the clips to grip onto the chassis. A bit of blu tak will do the job.

Peter's Spares have various battery boxes but again, it's going to be a blu tak job, since they are also the new type.

Seems Mr Sprue's offer isn't a bad one. Mr Sprue, have you considered offering them for sale on N'porium?

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
Hi Dan its all down to valuable time really why I haven't made any of late, or even considered producing any to sell. Some time ago when making a mould for my spin caster, I had a bit of space to fill up so I added four boxes in the spin plates I had before pouring the RTV.

If people are desperate for them I don't mind running off a small batch and I can cast them in black resin so no painting required!  ;)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:41:29 AM »
If people are desperate for them I don't mind running off a small batch and I can cast them in black resin so no painting required!  ;)

I think folks are - there are no original spares available, and this has been the case for several years now....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 07:19:33 AM »
Hi Mr Sprue

Any chance you could get a picture on the thread?

Would I be expecting too much for these resin boxes to have the chassis clips like the originals? Not a problem if not, just wondered.

I could potentially be in for an order of five if it helps!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »
Hi Mr Sprue,

I would be very interested if you could make me some Class 50 boxes!! Is there a minimum number you'd have to make to make it worthwhile doing?

Seems like you've sparked good interest here! :-)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »
Mr Sprue

I'm jumping ahead here, since I know you haven't replied yet. I think you potentially have a market for the whole range, from class 37 through to class 57.

I guess viability depends on, like you said, time, costs, number you need to produce to make it worthwhile.

Would be interested to know your thoughts.

Cheers

Dan

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »
Hi Mr Sprue

Any chance you could get a picture on the thread?

Would I be expecting too much for these resin boxes to have the chassis clips like the originals? Not a problem if not, just wondered.

I could potentially be in for an order of five if it helps!

Dan

Jeeze! I didn't realise there would be such a demand for these boxes!

Regarding Chassis clips yes the ones I cast came out really good after the second attempt, although my main objective was to test out the smaller spin plates that I had just purchased at the time.  I also cast a couple of Minitrix A4 wheel retainers which I needed for a couple of rebuilds that I had on the go.

The only thing I'm not clear about would be copyrights regarding replicating parts, although having said that providing the demand is not too high I would assume it should be ok.

Here's a couple of pictures of my work........

A4 Wheel retainer with brake blocks!

Class 47 battery boxes still in the mould. I'll dig around to see if I have any more pictures of these for you when I get home tonight.

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
Thanks Sprue

Judging from the wheel retainers it looks like you can caste to a reasonably high standard. I'm in for a variety of boxes and depending on price would put in an order for five of each type.

Yes copyright could be an issue, I really don't know about that one. How did others get in before (such as N'thusiast resprays)? I've got a few battery box resin moulds, work a treat. Now, couldn't you just tweak it ever so slightly so that it's not a 100% copy.

The thing is, these aren't produced anymore, so it's not like you're undermining an existing product. That said, copyright doesn't take that into account.

I'm all for supporting anyone who can keep producing aftermarket spares / accessories for Poole built stock and I'll back that up by committing to buy where I can.

Cheers

Dan

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »
Mr Sprue

I'm jumping ahead here, since I know you haven't replied yet. I think you potentially have a market for the whole range, from class 37 through to class 57.

I guess viability depends on, like you said, time, costs, number you need to produce to make it worthwhile.

Would be interested to know your thoughts.

Cheers

Dan

At the present time is limited as I am currently carrying out building work to extend my garage at home, the aim is once the garage is cleared it will be then turned into a micro factory to produce N Gauge products.

So any feedback such as this is really appreciated as I am thinking of maybe producing some parts that are no longer available, these of course would be subject to demand.

But once I am up and running I will have to get Tank to change my user name to green!  :D

P.S I can also cast these too........

Which also don't need Blu- Tak! ;)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:07:40 AM by Mr Sprue »

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »
Don't see why a Class 57 would be required, as B2813 is listed at BR Lines

For the Class 47 (Poole body) you could consider two or three different versions, same as the DCC version; standard, water tank, twin fuel tank, long range fuel tank
The original underframe fitting is rather inaccurate, but is acceptable for a Class 47 with the twin fuel tank

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal