New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol B sets  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Dapol B sets
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »
The stopping services on routes like the Oxford to Worcester line were handled by B-sets.
I thank you. :D

B-sets could occasionally be seen behind serious motive power. Here is a Castle at Oxford on a running-in turn with the local to Moreton-in-Marsh in 1962. Not quite sure if the coaches are a B-set or a couple of miscellaneous ex-GWR suburban coaches but it certainly gives a flavour.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
As 'Kimbolted' is based (very) loosely in the Oxford area I took a flyer on the 'B' set thinking I'd be unlucky if they weren't used there so it's great to have confirmation. Can you recommend any books based on Oxford in the steam/transition era please?

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
There are lots to choose from. "Great Western Steam In The Midlands" and "Great Western Steam Through The Cotswolds" by Bradford Barton are both good places to start.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline ten0G

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »
On which lines were B sets used, and where were auto-trailers used? (Matt?? @Karhedron help please)

Bob

A quick glimpse of a pair of B-sets at 0'30," according to the narrator. 

Also, what could be a single B-set coach at Cardigan, but I stand to be corrected. 

Both worth watching all the way through if you have any interest in Welsh services. 

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
As 'Kimbolted' is based (very) loosely in the Oxford area I took a flyer on the 'B' set thinking I'd be unlucky if they weren't used there so it's great to have confirmation. Can you recommend any books based on Oxford in the steam/transition era please?

The bay where the Castle is shown was where the Fairford Branch trains started from and were almost exclusively B sets usually with a CCT tagged along.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
I've just had another look at these videos again.

Thank you for posting! They're great.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »
I've just had another look at these videos again.

Thank you for posting! They're great.  :beers:

You're welcome, Railway Roundabout was a very good series for its day I think, just a pity I didn't see many of them when they were shown. 

Plenty of useful shots to be seen if you have the time to watch them all on Youtube.  :beers:

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
I understand there is a crimson B set coming shortly, which leads me to ask the following question:

On which lines were B sets used, and where were auto-trailers used? (Matt?? @Karhedron help please)

Bob

The stopping services on routes like the Oxford to Worcester line were handled by B-sets.

I thank you. :D

In the mid/late Seventies there was a letter in a model railway publication (Model Railway News?) claiming that a pair were in use at Honeybourne Jct, still in pre-nationalisation livery in the late Fifties. 

However, the correspondent did not state whether they were used on the Worcester or Cheltenham lines. 

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
The bay where the Castle is shown was where the Fairford Branch trains started from and were almost exclusively B sets usually with a CCT tagged along.

I don't recall much use of B-sets on the Fairford line. More usually it was a mishmash of older stock, displaced from mainline workings and miscellaneous non-corridor stock.

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
I bow to your superior knowledge Karhedron, I know towards the end of its life it had a right old mish mash of rolling stock.  I based my comments on the info in the carriage workings for 1946 and a couple of pictures I have which seem to show B set coaches but I'm not an expert on coaches so could be mistaken.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 10:02:21 PM »
I bow to your superior knowledge Karhedron, I know towards the end of its life it had a right old mish mash of rolling stock.  I based my comments on the info in the carriage workings for 1946 and a couple of pictures I have which seem to show B set coaches but I'm not an expert on coaches so could be mistaken.

I am definitely not so superior that I have nothing new to learn. ;)

You are definitely reading the CWP right, B-sets were clearly the order of the day in the twilight of the GWR. I was basing my comments on the pictures I have seen, most of which date from BR days.

Thanks for enlightening me.  :thankyousign:

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 09:23:50 AM »
For completeness, on the busier days the Fairford Branch B sets were replaced by standard "Q sets" which were standard over the whole region as described on the first page of the Carriage Workings for 1946.  I bet there was a fight for the 3rd class labelled 1st class accommodation.   :)

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 01:08:58 PM »
Dapol have just released a new batch of B-sets including a couple of liveries that have not been available before. Of particular interest are the set in 1940s wartime brown and the set in early BR crimson.

Also available are a selection of chocolate and cream as well as Maroon liveried sets which have been available before.

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
It's fair to say I'm pleased after a couple of previous batches of crimson being maroon these are crimson.

Also the war time brown was a nice surprise.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 11:35:38 PM »
I have just received mine, they look great, the colour is almost identical to the set I re-sprayed but there is no Guard mark on the guard doors and the bogies are not NEM fitted so must be the original tooling. the picture below shows the new set at the back, sorry for the poor quality lighting as the running number on the new B set doesn't show very well.

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here