!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 45161 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #735 on: October 31, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »
Regarding that rather handsome truss-girder bridge - did you scratch-build that or was it a kit?

Hi Chris, it’s scratch built. The I-beams are from evergreen, I used the 4mm and 3.2mm sections. The bridge deck is plasticard. I made a “full sized” drawing which made cutting the angles easier (although there were a few discards). Assembly was a bit fiddly but reasonably straightforward. It’s my first attempt, so very pleased with the end result.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #736 on: October 31, 2019, 07:36:21 AM »
Keith.
You asked for comments.......to my mind yes, the grass is too technicolour.  Sorry.
Martin

No problems Martin. The reason for asking for comments was indecisiveness here. Mrs kbts thinks the same as you. I’ve tried various grass colour combinations but the contrast is always too strong.
Looks like the farmer will be sending his expensive mower and roller back! Just a simple, normal grassed field.  :doh:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #737 on: October 31, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »
Regarding that rather handsome truss-girder bridge - did you scratch-build that or was it a kit?

Hi Chris, it’s scratch built. The I-beams are from evergreen, I used the 4mm and 3.2mm sections. The bridge deck is plasticard. I made a “full sized” drawing which made cutting the angles easier (although there were a few discards). Assembly was a bit fiddly but reasonably straightforward. It’s my first attempt, so very pleased with the end result.

If that's your first scratch-build then that is very good. It looks perfectly square and symmetrical. Brilliant job! :thumbsup:

Regarding the grass question, you need 2 colours that are actually very near to each other. The contrast is too great. Try a green and one slightly darker (or lighter) and do it the same way as you have. Bear in mind, mown and rolled grass is very short and, of course, it's only the direction the blades of grass lie that gives the difference in colour.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:01:05 AM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: October 31, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »
Hi Keith

I think WWS static grass would work with summer mix and spring mix as the two stripe colours.  It's quite easy to get the stripes if you apply the PVA with a brush.  Add one colour and allow it to set for a day before hoovering up the loose stuff and then paint PVA into the gaps and repeat with the other colour.  I'm probably trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, which is a bit dificult because she died in 1967.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #739 on: October 31, 2019, 08:06:16 AM »
Good Morning Keith
I agree with Laurence re static grass but if you are using scatter, I think it would work if you use one colour (eg the darker) for one stripe then add just a little (maybe 80/20) of the lighter to the dark and mix it well. That way the stripes will be less contrasting.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #740 on: October 31, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »
Excellent, we have a plan!  :beers:

I’m using Javis scatter. Now, do I use the darkest grass and lighten it a bit for the adjacent stripe? Or, do I use the lighter grass and darken it a bit? Oh decisions, decisions. If I was still working (in paid employment that is) it would be “let’s set up a working group (more likely 3 or 4)”. We’d then waste months getting nowhere. I feel a quick trial run coming on.

For information Laurence, I originally created the stripes using cut down decorators frog tape.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:37:50 PM by keithbythe sea, Reason: typo »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: October 31, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
Hello Keith

Thank you for that nice picture showing further great progress.  I think it is well worth persevering with the stripes.  Martin's suggested 80/20 colour mix will probably give you the effect that you are looking for.  I'd do the lighter stripes first and then the darker, but as separate strips to avoid the grass on alternate strips being longer due to the second layer of flock.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #742 on: October 31, 2019, 09:07:09 AM »
Good point John, I have failed to fully describe my construction technique!

I created a striped effect on “bare soil” using frog tape. I applied one colour of scatter between the tape. Once fully dry I removed the frog tape and applied the contrasting colour of scatter. The resultant surface is therefore roughly the same level.

Now the challenge will be to ensure that the remedial works, whichever way round they are, keeps the surface roughly level still!

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #743 on: November 01, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »
Keith

I very much like the notion of striped fields, but agree with others that the stripes are far too stark. Mixing the grass blends would solve the problem as suggested, but can I just add an idea that will make your life a bit more difficult. If one has a mower on this field, then the mowing would have turnarounds at the top and bottom so the stripes would not go straight up to the top or the bottom. Google Earth could provide inspiration on how mowing might be done.

Webbo

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #744 on: November 01, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »
Thank you Webbo, an excellent point and of course very prototypical ! :censored:

I will attempt to rise to the challenge.  :uneasy:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #745 on: November 01, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
Green Gauge

A quick trial (well quickish allowing from drying time) of different colours of grass. Light plays an important part in the colour contrast.

This picture from almost vertically above:

This picture from an angle of approximately 60 degrees to the horizontal:

Bands 4 and 5 are the dark and mid green respectively as used originally.

Band 3 is dark with 20% mid added. Band 2 is dark and band 1 is dark with 20% mid added.

Band 6 is mid with 20% dark added. Band 7 is mid and band 8 is mid with 20% dark added.

My initial preference is to use mid and mid with dark added. I think that 20% may be insufficient to give a noticeable contrast, but this is dependent on lighting and viewing angle. I will probably use 25% dark added.

I'm still thinking about the "end of stripe" machine turning effect (thanks Webbo)!

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: November 01, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »
That looks about right, Keith.  I think you could go up to 30% dark added, but no further.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #747 on: November 01, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »
Keith, my vote is for 5 and 6 (I think that’s the same as your choice).
Or 5 and 8 would possibly work.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #748 on: November 01, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »
I'm a 5 and 6 man myself.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #749 on: November 01, 2019, 05:04:43 PM »
5 and 6 I reckon.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00