!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 38833 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #585 on: June 23, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
The precise position of Sonmel in space and time reminds me somewhat of the situation of Takahachikawa (Japanese layout) which is linked to Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands and runs trains of many periods including, sometimes, 'through' trains from England's West Country.

The phenomenon of Takahachikawa has sometimes been explained by the existence of an infamous 'transdimensional' box which is, however, is not a unique phenomenon to Japan. One exists at Cant Cove. It is believed to have been a spare from the TARDIS donated by Susan, Doctor Who's granddaughter. Among its many amazing qualities is that, just like the TARDIS, its outside is infinitely smaller than its interior enabling it to house trains from different times and places! 8-)

There is also this whole other bit of the layout which is Berlin in the 1990s. Very confusing for the passengers, but they'll have to live with it.

Interesting Ian, I'm sure that the passengers will understand. I can hear the announcement now:

"You'll be pleased to hear that today there are no delays due to a points failure at Clapham Junction. However, there are delays due to problems with the transdimensional box, causing problems with the space-time continuum. We do hope that this will not cause travellers too many problems and wish to apologise for any inconvenience."

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #586 on: June 23, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
Festival Update 2

Christian Weber left the offices of the STB a happy man. A good deal had been struck which secured the future of the Sonmel German Bier Festival for the next 5 years.  What’s more it had only taken two meetings to negotiate. The second meeting had been primarily concerned with timing and logistics. This had left ample opportunities to spend more time with the gorgeous Catala. Opportunities that he had not wasted. “The bier producers back home will be very happy”, he thought.

The head of the STB smiled as he waved goodbye to the affable German. “Nice chap to do business with. Let’s hope that our relationship develops further over time” he pondered. “Now, I wonder what he will make of the little surprise I have arranged for his trip home. She is one feisty lady that Senorita Catala!”

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #587 on: June 23, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »
Many thanks, Keith. Catala has had no shortage of admirers back home but was tired of the promising but parochial local men that her father, Xurde Valdez approved of and kept introducing her to but, much as she loved her highly entertaining playboy brother, Pedru Valdez, she was not looking for someone like him who could not be relied on either. Christian was, she knew, from her very first impression very different and, with her finely-honed female intuition, she sensed a similar immediate positive response from Christian.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 04:01:44 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #588 on: June 23, 2019, 08:16:38 PM »
 :hellosign:
     Many thanks Keith, sounds like Herr Weber is in for a very enjoyable journey home, sorry bit late, your Western looking superb with the rake of Pullmans.
        regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #589 on: June 25, 2019, 06:51:31 AM »
The precise position of Sonmel in space and time reminds me somewhat of the situation of Takahachikawa (Japanese layout) which is linked to Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands and runs trains of many periods including, sometimes, 'through' trains from England's West Country.

The phenomenon of Takahachikawa has sometimes been explained by the existence of an infamous 'transdimensional' box which is, however, is not a unique phenomenon to Japan. One exists at Cant Cove. It is believed to have been a spare from the TARDIS donated by Susan, Doctor Who's granddaughter. Among its many amazing qualities is that, just like the TARDIS, its outside is infinitely smaller than its interior enabling it to house trains from different times and places! 8-)

There is also this whole other bit of the layout which is Berlin in the 1990s. Very confusing for the passengers, but they'll have to live with it.

Interesting Ian, I'm sure that the passengers will understand. I can hear the announcement now:

"You'll be pleased to hear that today there are no delays due to a points failure at Clapham Junction. However, there are delays due to problems with the transdimensional box, causing problems with the space-time continuum. We do hope that this will not cause travellers too many problems and wish to apologise for any inconvenience."

Of course, thinking about this in a bit more detail...

Whilst the initial announcement might cause some amusement and curiosity as a departure from the norm. Subsequent announcements could result in more extreme reactions and even result in mild terror and panic.

“Due to these problems, the train will not now be arriving at Waterloo at 08:22 as scheduled. It will be arriving in Takahachikawa (or Berlin, or Cornwall..) in 1966”

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #590 on: June 25, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »
On their return to Trevelver Castle, Sylvia and Eli mentioned the forthcoming 'German Bier Festival' at Sonmel.

Lord Trevelver, although an experienced connoisseur of German biers from his time spent with the British Army at the end of WW2 and the early 1950s, was very concerned that any visitors to Sonmel should also have the choice of some excellent West Country ales and delegated Huw Jenkins, the Castle's Head Butler, to ring round the local breweries to fill a BR Grey (non-vacuum braked) 'ShocVan' for urgent despatch on the next (irregular service) train ferry from West Porthsea Quay to Sonmel. Fortunately, the "Castle", "Headland" and "Creech" breweries had already greatly increased production ready for the Summer holiday season and could quickly replace stock added to the 'ShocVan' at Trevelver Castle, Trepol Bay, and Port Perran.

Two other, overhauled vans (LNER and SR designs) were already on their way to Sonmel by scheduled goods services for use on the island but to get the van of best West Country ales to West Porthsea Quay in time to catch the train ferry to Sonmel, Bill Truscott, the Wadebridge Yardmaster, arranged for the van to be tripped from Trevelver Castle then added to the next passenger train calling at Cant Cove which would take it to Wadebridge where it would be added to the next passenger train to Trepol Bay where it would be quickly be removed and taken down the incline to the harbour to have further supplies loaded from the warehouse then returned to the station where it wouldl be added to the next passenger train calling at Port Perran where it would be shunted off and into the "Headland Brewery" sidings for the final consignment to be added. The now fully loaded van would then be added on the next passenger train to Truro from where it would be added to a scheduled mainline express gooods service to West Porthsea Quay and then onto the ferry to Sonmel.

Lord Trevelver was very pleased to be informed by Jenkins that everything had been organised so swiftly.

"Well done, Jenkins and my hearty thanks, as always, to Mr Truscott, too. The car will be ready to take us to the special “Tasting Evening" at the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, this evening?

"Yes, indeed, milord, the new chauffeur has checked it over and is doing the final polishing as I speak. A luxury motor coach has been chartered, by me, to collect and take all the senior directors who also received telegrammed invitations and confirmed their attendance, to Wadebridge station, where they will board a reserved 1st Class carriage attached to a scheduled passenger service to Trepol Bay, as confirmed by Mr. Truscottt. Similar return arrangements have also been made and confirmed. Volunteers have been found, and rewarded, to provide train crew for the special last train of the evening and keep the signalboxes open until Midnight when it should terminate at Penmayne"

"Excellent work. It should prove a most enjoyable evening."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:56:26 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #591 on: June 26, 2019, 07:36:38 AM »
“We’ve just received an important message from Lord Trevelver.”

(Blimey best be paying attention and concentrating... can someone remind me where West Porthsea is  :D)

:beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #592 on: June 26, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »

(Blimey best be paying attention and concentrating... can someone remind me where West Porthsea is  :D)

West Porthsea is 2 miles NE of Penzance on the (G)WR mainline some miles after Truro. West Porthsea Quay being located on a short branchline from West Porthsea mainline station.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:05:01 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #593 on: June 26, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
Thought that Keith's post might have been a joke that I didn't get, but if not, I think that West Porthsea is a couple of miles East of Penzance where the real town of Marazion is.

That rings a bell but Tullabardine had been consumed last night so I might be wrong. Good thing I'm not the Train Ferry Captain  ;).

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:51:43 AM by weave »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #594 on: June 26, 2019, 11:28:55 AM »
Yes, Chris (Weave) I think you are correct. I meant NE not NW of course.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:30:10 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #595 on: June 26, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »
Yes. That is my understanding too.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #596 on: June 26, 2019, 10:03:36 PM »

:hellosign: Chris (Weave) is spot on at 2 miles of Penzance, now Keith where for the sake of the ferry captain is Sonmel ?   :D 
       regards Derek    :beers:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #597 on: June 27, 2019, 07:34:08 AM »

:hellosign: Chris (Weave) is spot on at 2 miles of Penzance, now Keith where for the sake of the ferry captain is Sonmel ?   :D 

Thanks chaps, just lost my bearings for a moment there. West Cornwall is near enough for the ferry captain!

Derek, don’t be too concerned where the exact location of Sonmel is. But since you asked it is located approximately longitude.... “what’s that, an urgent call from Lord Trevelver “... sorry must go, be back as soon as I can.  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #598 on: June 27, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »

Thanks, Derek, for clearing that up. I will add the details to my notes and not rely on my memory!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #599 on: June 27, 2019, 05:31:57 PM »
Festival Update 3

“Oh look Christian”, things had changed quite dramatically from “Herr Weber” at the beginning of the trip.

“What is it?”

“That must be our train back to Europe. He is such a nice man, the head of the STB, and such a good man to do business with.”

“Yes, I will take a picture as a souvenir of our trip”.

Christian hadn’t been able to keep track of all of Catala’s movements during their stay although he had tried hard to spend as much time as possible with her. However, he was certain that she had met with the head of the STB on more than one occasion. Mind you, you couldn’t blame him for wanting to spend time with her, any man would. Just what exactly had they been up to? Another thought crossed his mind, ‘and what will we be getting up to on our somewhat arduous ferry trip back home?’

As if reading his thoughts, Catala said, “Well, we had better get on board otherwise we will miss the ferry. Such a good trip needs to end on a high!”

‘Ah’ he thought, it sounds as if she has struck some kind of deal herself. He was sure that he wasn’t solely responsible for her having had such a good time. 
The island was rife with rumours of Spanish, British (Foaming Ale Festival indeed!), Japanese and even American beer festivals being considered for the future. Maybe some of the rumours were based on an element of truth. And what exactly does she mean by ‘end on a high’? Was there more to come from this Senorita than he thought?

Earlier that same day….

“Well Senorita Catala, it’s been a pleasure to meet you and a pleasure to do business with you.”

“Muchas gracias, the same goes for me, I think you would say. There is much to do now to ensure that the organisation of the first Sonmel Spanish Cerveza Festival goes smoothly and that the event is a success. The people back home will be so happy.
And as for the little extra sparkle that you personally added… well I am sure that the Sonmel Spanish Wine Festival will also be a great success. What a fabulous idea!”

“Yes, that is an added bonus for both of us. Our head of finance Annette Gane, is sure that the numbers look good and there will be fun to be had for all concerned.
If you don’t mind I would like to keep that particular arrangement private between ourselves whilst you are still on the island. I am sure that you will be keen to discuss the trip in detail with Herr Weber on your journey home. I suggest that you don’t let him know about the wine festival until you are safely on the ferry and in international waters. It can be your little surprise for him on the journey home.
Now, have an excellent trip back to Europe and very many thanks for your kind invitation to visit Izaro at some time in the future. So generous of you. There is no rush, whenever is convenient for yourself. As you now know, time is of little or no consequence for us here on Sonmel…”
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:53:40 PM by keithbythe sea »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything