!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 57270 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #420 on: August 04, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »
Thank you for the comments and support, always helpful.  :beers:

Chris, yes I saw your Mermaids on another post. It would be good if one could swim over to Sonmel.  :thumbsup: I had also seen the comments regarding Peedie models (from you I think). Thatís great news I need some nautical clutter for the harbour wall. I await their release. PS have my drawers arrived yet (can I say that mods?)?

Pleased that I prompted some (painful) memories regarding the delights of Izal.  :beers:

Good morning Keith,

I plan to finish the three mermaids, next week, two will be surplus to requirements for Cant Cove, (although I may keep one for Penmayne), so one will be posted off to you, soon, together with a spare, duplicate (boxed) Graham Farish No. 2305 Single Vent 12T Van in BR Brown, E568011, for 'through' running, should you wish to, as Martin and I, plus others have identical vans. I should also have some spare wooden crates to add. The mermaid can be placed on a (very) small grey rock, before despatch, as I can adjust her tail to fit.

Many thanks for the two, very well-packed sets of plastic drawers for storing all my Humbrol enamel tinlets, plus acrylic paints collections, which I collected, yesterday. They will come very useful for my big end-of-summer tidy-up!

Martin's excellent Trepol Bay Harbour has a lot of added detail but I'm not sure if any are from Peedie Models. Some of the sailors are metal figures painted by me, originally intended for Penmayne Harbour. Others are German plastic figures.

I agree that the little row of cottages looks very fine. The two railwaymen's cottages which will be across the line from Cant Cove's loco. shed will look a bit similar as one will be white-painted.

I too remember the awful, shiny 'Izal' toilet paper and refuse to have a Peco 'Izal' branded pallet van for that reason!

Offline Bubule

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
After rather a lot of delay and procrastination I have girded my loins and filled the harbour with water.

First picture is of an extreme low tide:  :D

I then began water construction using the toilet paper method. This is best quality Andrex. Hate to think what the result would be using the famous old Izal stuff. Those younger than a certain age who missed the pleasures of Izal paper will have to resort to the interweb to discover its fabulous properties...

Most of the area is covered with 2 layers of paper. some areas required a third layer. Method I used was:

Paint layer of 1:1 PVA:Water mix
Add layer of paper
Paint layer of 1:1 PVA:Water mix
Add layer of paper
Whilst still wet use a wide(ish) brush to move paper around into ripples and waves (avoid over-brushing, which can cause the paper to clump and tear. If this happens, grit teeth, mutter darkly and then add more paper and bush more gently!)
Walk away for at least a day to allow to fully dry.

Apply some paint (in my case artists acrylics):

After letting the paint dry I decided that the sea was too blue, so more paint applied. All of the above pictures are taken from the back of the model. I had turned the model round as it is easier to work on the harbour from the back. Aware that when viewed "the right way round" the lighting would be different I turned the model back to "front view" to apply this layer of paint. I also added some white water to the wave tops (it's quite stormy even in the harbour...)

I now need to "tidy up round the edges", apply several coats of varnish and then add the finishing touches, such as seagulls, people, sharks fins, whales tails etc...

Very nice scene ! Great job and design. The perspective is nicely done.  :claphappy:
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »
 :thankyousign: Jeff.

:thankyousign: Chris. Pleased to hear that the drawers arrived safely and will be fully functional soon.  :D

A Mermaid on a rock will be perfect, thank you.  :thumbsup: I have been contemplating adding a harbour view walkway. This would be an ideal vantage point for camera wielding tourists to snap the Mermaid.
I also look forward to receiving the wagon for through running with Martin and you (and others). I am slightly concerned  :( that this will mean that I have to concentrate more when reading your posts!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #423 on: August 04, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
Thanks, Keith. Don't worry, the van is a generic BR one and can appear in any train. 8-)

The plastic storage boxes are excellent and already full.

I will work on completing the mermaids in the coming week. Yours will be the extrovert sister of Cant Cove's shy, long blonde-haired 'merry maid' (mermaid), Morveren. She will sit, on her hidden rock, combing her hair and (you will have to imagine) softly but beautifully, singing, whilst some seagulls (when I find them) sit nearby and listen.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #424 on: August 05, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »
Thank you Chris. I will have to get planning (and building) the walkway!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #425 on: August 05, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
That is great modelling, and it's good to see the toilet paper technique being used.  :thumbsup:

However, at the risk of being shot at dawn from afar, I find the water a bit too blue.

:sorrysign:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #426 on: August 05, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
That is great modelling, and it's good to see the toilet paper technique being used.  :thumbsup:

However, at the risk of being shot at dawn from afar, I find the water a bit too blue.

I blame global warming for the Mediterranean blue sea! 8-)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #427 on: August 05, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »

Thank you for the feedback George, no problem, no ICBMs being fired from here.

I am not entirely sure where Sonmel is located (gives me all sorts of modelling licence)!  ;)

However, there are strong indications that the south coast of England is becoming more Mediterranean. I took this photo on Wednesday from near to home...

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #428 on: August 05, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
Cant Cove's shy, long blonde-haired 'merry maid' (mermaid), Morveren. She will sit, on her hidden rock, combing her hair and (you will have to imagine) softly but beautifully, singing

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #429 on: August 05, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
 :hellosign:

The water looks a lot nicer than the water in Weymouth harbour Ö..don't forget the varnish will darken it, and change it's colour a bit  :D

Lovin' what you're doing, and the row of terraced houses look just like the row of coloured fisherman's cottages I live in  :D

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #430 on: August 05, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »

The water looks a lot nicer than the water in Weymouth harbour Ö..don't forget the varnish will darken it, and change it's colour a bit  :D

Lovin' what you're doing, and the row of terraced houses look just like the row of coloured fisherman's cottages I live in  :D

All best wishes
Kevin

And just like the row of old minerís cottages we live in. Except ours arenít coloured!
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #431 on: August 06, 2018, 07:22:15 AM »

All best wishes
Kevin

:thankyousign: Kevin. Iím not familiar with those, must look more carefully next time in town! Sonmelís are (loosely) based on Scottish cottages at Portree.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #432 on: August 06, 2018, 07:23:53 AM »

All best wishes
Kevin

And just like the row of old minerís cottages we live in. Except ours arenít coloured!

Maybe thereís a new project for you Martin? ;)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #433 on: August 06, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »
Portree on Skye! Thanks for jogging me memory. I was there a few years back, and couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the place.

Yeah saw those cottages.

Thanks again!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #434 on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:07 AM »
I forgot to say earlier that the row of cottages are a slightly modified Ratio kit.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal