!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 45489 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
After rather a lot of delay and procrastination I have girded my loins and filled the harbour with water.

First picture is of an extreme low tide:  :D

I then began water construction using the toilet paper method. This is best quality Andrex. Hate to think what the result would be using the famous old Izal stuff. Those younger than a certain age who missed the pleasures of Izal paper will have to resort to the interweb to discover its fabulous properties...

Most of the area is covered with 2 layers of paper. some areas required a third layer. Method I used was:

Paint layer of 1:1 PVA:Water mix
Add layer of paper
Paint layer of 1:1 PVA:Water mix
Add layer of paper
Whilst still wet use a wide(ish) brush to move paper around into ripples and waves (avoid over-brushing, which can cause the paper to clump and tear. If this happens, grit teeth, mutter darkly and then add more paper and bush more gently!)
Walk away for at least a day to allow to fully dry.

Apply some paint (in my case artists acrylics):

After letting the paint dry I decided that the sea was too blue, so more paint applied. All of the above pictures are taken from the back of the model. I had turned the model round as it is easier to work on the harbour from the back. Aware that when viewed "the right way round" the lighting would be different I turned the model back to "front view" to apply this layer of paint. I also added some white water to the wave tops (it's quite stormy even in the harbour...)

I now need to "tidy up round the edges", apply several coats of varnish and then add the finishing touches, such as seagulls, people, sharks fins, whales tails etc...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:19:59 AM by keithbythe sea, Reason: Typos »

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #406 on: August 02, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
That is looking pretty impressive.  :thumbsup:

and then add the finishing touches, such as seagulls, people, sharks fins, whales tales etc...

And don't forget the Mermaid, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum. :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #407 on: August 02, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »
Many thanks for this detailed, illustrated explanation, Keith. Your cliffs also helped me finish mine and, now, I can follow your example for the estuary but not the little cove as the water would not have any waves there.

I will have a spare mermaid . . . 8-)

I also have some (metal) seagulls, already spraypainted in white but they need detailing before placing.

The excellent Peedie Models have announced: "We will be adding a number of nautical items to our website shortly in both 2mm and 4mm scales, such as bollards, winches, anchors and several other items with will make your quayside look even more realistic." (Perfect timing!)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:33:10 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #408 on: August 02, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
Hi Keith,

All looking good and thank you for the 'how to' as any harbour advice always very welcome on board my ship.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #409 on: August 02, 2018, 08:23:56 PM »

I then began water construction using the toilet paper method. This is best quality Andrex. Hate to think what the result would be using the famous old Izal stuff. Those younger than a certain age who missed the pleasures of Izal paper will have to resort to the interweb to discover its fabulous properties...

pain has a name!

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #410 on: August 02, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »

pain has a name!

I remember at school we had to put our hand up and were given 2 sheets of the terrible stuff.  :veryangry:

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #411 on: August 02, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
You could always say that the sea was so blue because there was an outlet pipe for the water from the policemanís laundry....😀

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #412 on: August 02, 2018, 09:46:24 PM »

pain has a name!

I remember at school we had to put our hand up and were given 2 sheets of the terrible stuff.  :veryangry:

Being blunt, Izal soaked nothing up but just pushed it further up your back :doh:
However, I digress (unusual for me, I know)
The water effect with the loo roll does seem to work extremely well. Nice job!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #413 on: August 03, 2018, 07:23:52 AM »
That is looking pretty impressive.  :thumbsup:

and then add the finishing touches, such as seagulls, people, sharks fins, whales tales etc...

And don't forget the Mermaid, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum. :)

Of course, how could I forget the Mermaid! She can be a tourist attraction, sitting on a small rock. But wait, that means I will need hordes of camera clicking tourists.... :doh:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #414 on: August 03, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »
Thank you for the comments and support, always helpful.  :beers:

Chris, yes I saw your Mermaids on another post. It would be good if one could swim over to Sonmel.  :thumbsup: I had also seen the comments regarding Peedie models (from you I think). Thatís great news I need some nautical clutter for the harbour wall. I await their release. PS have my drawers arrived yet (can I say that mods?)?

Pleased that I prompted some (painful) memories regarding the delights of Izal.  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #415 on: August 03, 2018, 07:48:26 AM »
That all looks really good Keith.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2018, 07:51:51 AM »
Thank you Martin, more detailing required but heading in the right direction!  :thumbsup:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »
Congratulations, Keith; that looks splendid.  And an interesting technique.  Thank you.

By the way, I really like the little row of cottages.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #418 on: August 03, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
PS have my drawers arrived yet (can I say that mods?)?

Global Moderator Comment Providing no forum rules have been contravened you are free to do with your drawers what you wish ;D

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #419 on: August 04, 2018, 06:55:48 AM »
Thanks NN, I donít normally air them in public  :-[

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP