!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
Struggling to get a decent sized rendering of the latest plan from anyrail.... this is my best attempt so far

The bull of the layout features an up & under figure of 8 (with space to get in behind) - the station of Dunning sits at a higher level.  The figure of 8 will be treated as the mainline - with trains coming from the south (Stirling) and the north (Perth) as the fiddle yard controller see's fit!  Plan is to have a meandering branch line down one side with spur's either side of Auchterarder for the refinery & the (yet to be named) oil field.  The last station down the branch is the fictional "Milton Woods" ... with another fiddle yard beyond that.

Have also started a thread in the layout construction forum for the renovation of B769316 (as this needs to happen before the layout construction starts!)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30692.0   

(not figured out how to embed this link in reply's yet like a lot of forum'ers do)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:38:47 PM by Caz, Reason: removed img tags etc as not necessary with smg code »
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
The bull of the layout features an up & under figure of 8 (with space to get in behind) - the station of Dunning sits at a higher level.  The figure of 8 will be treated as the mainline - with trains coming from the south (Stirling) and the north (Perth) as the fiddle yard controller see's fit!  Plan is to have a meandering branch line down one side with spur's either side of Auchterarder for the refinery & the (yet to be named) oil field.  The last station down the branch is the fictional "Milton Woods" ... with another fiddle yard beyond that.

That's a lot of railway - that is definitely gonna keep you out of mischief for some years to come. Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 09:29:26 PM »

That's a lot of railway - that is definitely gonna keep you out of mischief for some years to come. Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.
 :beers:

I'm just hoping I'm still around when it does, Bob :worried:

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 09:56:01 PM »
Welcome aboard Andrew, certainly quite a plan you have come up with, reckon you will be busy for a few weeks anyhoo.
Though I'm not really into the British stuff  ;) I will keep an eye on your build; 2 reasons, I was born in Stirling and Perth is just up the road from me.
Where abouts are you, do you have a good local show to go to?

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 11:14:33 PM »
 :welcomesign: Andrew  :wave:

Cheers John.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
Welcome aboard Andrew, certainly quite a plan you have come up with, reckon you will be busy for a few weeks anyhoo.
Though I'm not really into the British stuff  ;) I will keep an eye on your build; 2 reasons, I was born in Stirling and Perth is just up the road from me.

Your not wrong, it will be a long term project, possibly the branch line first (as that is where all the interesting, for me at least, scenic items are)..... but I need to get the van renovated 1st!  Thanks for the warm welcome

I am in Auchterarder and managed to get the Perth show a few months back - was a great event with a lot of cracking layouts on display
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:39:46 PM by Milton Rail, Reason: forgot to answer the question! »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 11:22:10 AM »
The planning went on hold for a bit as I tried to start building the large pile of kits I had assembled!

Unfortunately, the building phase (updates in the construction thread) led to a re-think on what I was wanting... so I have prioritised the following:

- Nice long sweeping double track mainline for the big loco's I have
- Levels - the track will climb as it heads out of Blackford (the mainline station) into the hills (to cover the climbing loop)... breaks out onto a viaduct for a bit (Glenfinnan-esque) and then goes back into the hills to complete the loop before starting to descend back down past the distillery (in front of the fiddle yard)
- PRPS operating a branchline with their HQ at its terminus and a connection to the mainline via a mainline station (I have based the station layout there on the Bo'Ness & Kinneil Railway as much as possible).  I placed the mainline station on a curve in one of the corners, based on some good ideas elsewhere on the forum
- Maintain the industry (Refinery & Oil fields)
- Include space for sidings for a distillery (the backstory has evolved to include this)

ScottyStitch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »

Your not wrong, it will be a long term project, possibly the branch line first (as that is where all the interesting, for me at least, scenic items are)..... but I need to get the van renovated 1st!  Thanks for the warm welcome

I am in Auchterarder and managed to get the Perth show a few months back - was a great event with a lot of cracking layouts on display

I'm a Perth-ite too, although in Inverurie now. My folks are still there so I'm down frequently. Perhaps we could have a wee meet up at this years Perth show.

I shall be watching your thread with interest.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 11:58:15 AM »

I'm a Perth-ite too, although in Inverurie now. My folks are still there so I'm down frequently. Perhaps we could have a wee meet up at this years Perth show.

I shall be watching your thread with interest.

That would be great, though I don't think my work rota is going to accommodate it though (that could change though)... will miss the exhibition in Glasgow in Feb too :(

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »
That is a very impressive layout plan, Andrew with plenty of operating possibilities and attractive scenery to show your trains off in the Scottish landscape. Visitors from the very different scenery of the West Country are looking forward to travelling by special trains to enjoy the Highlands and the local whisky! 8-)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal