!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Upperton - Restoring to Exhibit  (Read 2603 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Upperton - Restoring to Exhibit
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »
lovely scenery, love the windmill and fabulous selection of stock !!!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
Not just one but two Blue Pullmans (Pullmen??)
That should get @Bealman all unnecessary ;D

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 10:32:16 PM »
Wow!!!  :o

That wouldn't have happened in real life, though, would it?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2019, 03:21:20 AM »

Unlikely as no second class in the 6 car units and in the 60s I doubt they'd find enough rich folks to fill a 12 car :laugh:

Offline Upperton

• N Gauge Society Number: 27844
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2019, 09:59:07 AM »

Unlikely as no second class in the 6 car units and in the 60s I doubt they'd find enough rich folks to fill a 12 car :laugh:

In our make believe world, it's been chartered by the British Aircraft Corporation visiting Bournemouth to look at BAC 1-11 production and passing through Upperton on it's way to Bristol to view the progress on Concorde 002.

Of course in the real world they couldn't of operated like that, though the latest blue/grey did.

2 x 16 Car Eurostars used to pass through at shows many years ago, but as we've wound the clock back a few era's now the Pullmans fit the bill. We had a Kato pop up a few months back for a handing over ceremony!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:10:30 AM by Upperton »

Offline Upperton

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2019, 05:50:20 PM »

We got out the Pullmen last night and had some fun playing with coaching configurations. With yourself in mind, I have laced together some vignettes from last evening's panoply of services, and while some may not be a correct prototypical representation, I hope acquiesce to your overall enjoyment of the presentation  :)

Offline Upperton

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 06:06:25 PM »
The layout had another successful trip out this weekend, having been invited over by Newhaven & District MRCs annual show this year.

Our attendance this weekend was slightly dampened by the loss of Alan Tompsett at the beginning of August. He was one of last remaining members of Upperton's original build team, while also being quite a well known N Gauge Continental modeler in the South East - my last exhibition trip out with Alan was to the NGSE show in Purley back in April. Alan was planning on displaying his latest Dutch layout along with us this weekend and while he did visit last year when Upperton was first re-united as a whole again, he sadly run out of time to see Upperton back under the exhibition lights.  :(

We managed to get the the layout setup on Friday evening, in just under 45 minutes. We then spent nearly 2 hours trying to trace a short, on one of the point motor circuits which was tripping out the CDU for the entire inner loop. While we didn't trace the actual problem, having slept on the issue I came in early fresh on the Saturday, by-passed the relevant 25-pin connectors on the offending board and went straight from board to switch and we had full point motors again on the inner loop for the show. The layout's best displayed with 4 operators, as it was designed to do and with 7 operators on hand to cover tea breaks and lunch I found some time to take some pictures and videos. While we have our own lighting system above the layout, the venues own lighting was very good indeed.

The rolling stock is owned by myself and another member who joined us earlier in the year after seeing it at the East Grinstead show and wanting to play. We both have an interest in the Southern/Western transition era into rail blue, myself with a bias towards Diesels and him with Steam, so the collections compliment each other nicely. We haven't had a count up, but roughly have about 80 Mk1's, a dozen or so Maunsells, a similar amount of Bulleids, half a dozen Hawksworth's, 3 x 4-CEPs, a Brighton Belle, the Pullmans, 4 or 5 101s/108s, a variety of freight and fleet of around 120 loco's to allocate to the workings. With our close to Salisbury 1960s setting, here are some snaps from the day and some hypothetical services.

A shot down the line looking East, from over the top of the fairway of hole No.1 of the golf course. The layouts is a few meters short of one Km in N Gauge.

A shot from the other end of the layout, with the windmill and village scene.

The Pullman's lined up at Platforms 3 and 4, giving priority to a rusty WD Austerity on a mixed goods by the look of things. They ran as a 12 Car Down service in the morning, then split at lunch to run Up and Down for the remainder of the day. The platforms signals were a recent project. All the wiring was in place underneath and on the panels, just required new (Berko) signals and they pretty much came back to life and served well at the show, with only a handful SPADs that were observed.

D406 with it's identical, cleaner just out of shop twin, D406 - Hauling a Inverness to Penzance sleeper service. A Peak should of taken over at Birmingham but having failed the D400's carried on, and going as far as Exeter. A 12 Car 4-CEP looks to have just pulled into Platform 1.

Camelot on a Plymouth to Brighton working. Looks like Pullman got the green at last, I hope that mixed goods doesn't hold it up too much  :hmmm:

An N Class approaching the station with Bulleid Stock on a fast Southampton to Exeter service, while a Crompton accelerates out of Platform 1 with a Yeovil to Bournemouth service.

The Penzance to York TPO being loaded on Platform 1, while another Yeovil bound Crompton on a semi-fast waits on the through road, allowing the N Class to carry on its way to Exeter. A Blue Hymek is also just pulling into Platform 4 with a Brighton to Cardiff service. There is at least one picture of a Chocolate & Cream BSK lasting until 68', coupled to Blue/Grey stock. Perhaps this one is due into the paint shop for it's new livery at the end of this working.

In its previous life Upperton was served by many a Poole built Class 101s, this one was an on the day purchase at the show and being tested. It was almost loud enough drown out the DCC sound depot layout nearby, so it's in prefect working order.

Bulleid's on shed. Most of these are non/poor runner's. Hurry up Dapol.

Warship on a Waterloo - Exeter, Brush Type 2 on a Parcels, D406 going solo.

Brighton Belle sitting at Platform 1, Crompton on a Exeter - Bournemouth at Platform 2, Warship drawing into Platform 3 with another Waterloo - Exeter, the Inverness - Penzance Sleeper sitting at Platform 4.

A NBL Type 2 on light tanker duty

I first saw Upperton at a show aged 11 or 12 and wasn't asked round the back to play, so to make amends we encourage parents to bring the more interested kids round the back to operate, the parents often end up playing on it too. I'm hoping this young chap will join us at shows in a few years time  - I have permission from his dad to post the picture, because I'm the dad. The layout is older than 3 of the operators in that shot.

And a short video montage of some movements from the day, with all the back ground buzz of the typical modern exhibition hall.

The mission statement of restoring the layout to exhibition has been met, it's still an enjoyable train-set to play with as my teenage mind remembers and continues to give enjoyment to others. The layout has some provisional dates going into 2021, so it's still got a few years exhibition life to go - another club exhibition organiser got chatting to us yesterday who they took one of their older layouts to Ally Pally and Warley for a final send off and felt Upperton wouldn't be out of place at either of those shows so maybe that's something to aim for next.

A final before and after shot of the station area which nicely closes this chapter of the layouts history. Looking rather sorry for itself laying on my patio just over 2 years ago, but looking much happier now in the exhibition environment where it belongs.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:52:08 PM by Upperton »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »
Great pics and vid of a smashing layout with stock that's right up my strasse.
You should all be rightly proud of what you've achieved. :admiration:

One for @Bealman too

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 08:49:28 PM »
superb selection  of stock to keep the viewers / audience entertaianed. love the oube headed cass 50s

when 's the nextouting for upperton pease ?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
Yes, a great achievement, as evidenced by the before and after shots.

And not one, but TWO BPs!!  :drool:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Upperton

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 09:38:37 PM »
when 's the nextouting for upperton pease ?

We are still pegged to the South East Coast next year and doing some fairly local shows to us still. I did email Sean Healy who's organising the NGSE show but he didn't think they could fit us in next year, presumably because they have a stunning piece of mid 1940's German modelling taking up a lot of room. That's a fairly common theme we've found coming back onto the show scene this year that most exhibition managers book a year, sometimes two years in advanced and Upperton isn't exactly the type of layout to shoe horn in at the last minute.

We may attend a exhibition closer to London in 2021, I shall keep any further dates updated on here as and when.

And not one, but TWO BPs!!  :drool:

I usually pop over to Gaugemaster every few months, and they do have a Westerm Pullman/Reverse Blue & Grey in their Farish display cabinet at the moment. And while certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as straight Nanking Blue, isn't without it's charm  :hmmm:  - annoyingly it's displayed with the Kitchen cars in the middle of the set, though looking at the video's I posted a while back I can't complain too much about incorrect BP coach formations  :D

Thanks for all the comments, they are most appreciated  :NGF:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here