What does Xmas mean to you?

Started by Tdm, December 09, 2015, 05:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

One advantage I find living in a block of retirement flats with an entry phone -  no :censored: "carol singers" hammering on the door, then shouting part of an out of tune version of "we wish you a merry Christmas" whilst holding out their  hands expecting money
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bealman

Thankfully none of that here. We have organised events where people go along for an evening out and sit on the grass in front of a stage and sing along.

Mind you, it's summertime, innit.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tank

Quote from: Graham Walters on December 10, 2015, 08:15:24 PM
Can you show me the list.

SMF is supposed to have a word censor, it may be a good idea to add it

It does, but if you can't do as my Moderator tells you, you can get off of this forum.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Graham Walters on December 10, 2015, 07:16:49 PM
Teachers and Grants (stuff) they call Whiskey
They dont, they call it Whisky.

Tdm

Got to admit to being a little surprised at the number of Forum members who replied to this thread who seem to be anti-xmas (and I make no apologies for the shortened spelling).

Over here (in Tenerife) have yet to meet anyone who is not currently in a good mood  and looking forward to the holiday period.

As one poster said – seeing the delight on childrens faces on Xmas Day when they open their presents is a joy to behold.

Anyway, enough said, it's my birthday and I'm going to enjoy the day plus a nice meal out at sea front restaurant this evening, and tomorrow will be meeting up for a drink and a "chinwag" with an NGF member whom I haven't seen before who is out here on holiday.

Portpatrick

My late brother in law was a Geordie.  He told us the first footings (including the lump of coal) was normal practice in South Shields at midnight New Years Eve (Hogmanay).  So not just a Scottish thing.  I suppose someone had to stay at home while the rest of each household went around each other!

MikeDunn

Quote from: Portpatrick on December 11, 2015, 11:19:22 AM
My late brother in law was a Geordie.  He told us the first footings (including the lump of coal) was normal practice in South Shields at midnight New Years Eve (Hogmanay). 
Sorry - he was either a Geordie (ie Newcastle) or he was a Sand-dancer (South Shields) ... which was it ?  There is a considerable difference  :P

Sand-dancers tend to side with the Mackems, rather than the Geordies ... and yes, this is a tradition there.

Rob H

Sorry to be pedantic, but if your late Brother-in-Law was from South Shields then he was a Sand Dancer and not a Geordie
On the first footing topic I remember my Father going out before Midnight with a bottle of whisky and a lump of coal. All the men would meet up in the street and avail themselves of the whisky before first footing after midnight, this was signalled by the River Tyne shipyard factory hooters being sounded.

Rob, Geordie and proud !!
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Portpatrick

Oh dear oh dear.  Got that one a bit wrong it seems.  Apologies to Geordies and Sand Dancers alike.

Never heard of the term "Sand Dancer" before.  But yes, Mike Henderson was brought up in South Shields so Sand Dancer he was - and a keen follower of Newcastle FC.  Mind you I cannot be sure where his father originated from if that is relevant.  But his parents (both well into their 80s) still live in South Shields.  I think he had been a pilot for one of the ship yards - or something of that ilk.

Still we seem to be agreed that the first footing tradition is not unique to the land of my father's mother, who was emphatically and proudly Scottish and not British to her dying day.  Which no doubt influences my interest in the railways of Scotland.

mr bachmann

didn't Georges men get defeated in a Scots battle and on returning got as far as the Tyne . in the meantime the Jocks run down the west and came across country to the south of the Tyne , and wouldn't let the English cross - so having set home here the got the nickname Geordies (Georges men) , and then the Scots couldn't get back either so they settled down settled down in what became known as Sunderland - gaining the nick name Mackems !
so first footing (Whiskey an' all!) south of the Tyne ?

(me I'm a Smoggy !)

MikeDunn

I really have no idea what you're drinking & smoking ...  ::)

AFAIK, "Geordie" is a pit-related term, whereas "Mackem" is a ship-making & sailing related term.

[edit]
Found a decent definition : see the top answer here ...  :thumbsup:

Tank

Can we get back to the original topic and keep this a happy thread please folks.

Agrippa

Yep, only about 3-4 of the last 15-20 posts related to what people
were doing at at Christmas.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Chris Morris

For me Christmas means a celebration of the birth of a guy 2,000 years ago. It's up to individuals to decide whether they think he was the son of God but this guy did exist. His ideals form the basis of a lot of the laws and standards of the Western world. For me this means a time of contemplation about they way I live my life. Am I doing the right things, what should I do better etc.. I guess this gives rise to New Years resolutions.
It also means exchanging presents. This does not necessarily mean spending big money but it means thinking about the people you are giving to. For instance I have spent just £4 on a calendar for an old and dear friend. The calendar has photos of where we grew up when we grew up which makes it much more valuable than a £50 gift token.
It also means contacting friends I may not have seen since last Christmas and maybe having a glass or two of something together as we catch up.
When I was at work it also meant time to play trains but now I am retired I can do that any day.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Portpatrick

Apologies for the extent to which I contributed to what some have felt went off topic.  Though my first intervention  some days ago was right on topic.

That said, as our family traditions were shared, it emerged that for some the festival period meant the first footing tradition.  To which I commented that my late brother in law followed that practice in South Shields.   He brought it with him when he came South!   At which point my broadly based understanding of who were actually Geordies was corrected!  So perhaps not so very off topic.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations