!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 233258 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3465 on: March 26, 2020, 09:00:31 AM »
Thank you for this facinating post, Andrew.  Your work on the viaduct is very impressive.

I sat gazing at your lovely picture of the brace of 'M7s' for a while...

Ö as although I'm not, at present, a BR era modeller, I have for years being having a debate with myself (an early form of self isolation?) about whether I prefer the early emblem or the later crest.  In this picture, I prefer the later version.  I'm trying to work out why.

With all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3466 on: March 26, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »

but news of another loco posing on the branchline was much more newsworthy ......   :camera:  class 24 D7654 in a smart 2 tone green livery 

Oh dear. Someone has put a pedant's hat on my head.
The loco is actually D7645 and is a class 25, not a class 24.

I do like the M7 and if anyone could come up with a reasonably valid excuse for a late crest one to be lurking near Oxford, I'll seek one out

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3467 on: March 26, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
Mick. The m7 is either on a  charter or the southern found it was the only available loco ad far as oxford that a crew could have had loco and route knowledge. Who knows ?

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3468 on: March 26, 2020, 11:34:54 AM »
A quick check to : shedbashuk.blogspot.com and davidheyscollection.com may provide indication of what locos were allocated where and when

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #3469 on: March 26, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
I have burned my brain out trying to work out if the other side of the viaduct can be the same shape or needs to be a different size of arch to cope with the circle .... I think it does, but can't get my brain around it yet! .... and if they do need to be larger arches, I don't think I can keep it to a single A3 sheet   :hmmm:

No, you donít need larger arches. Such viaducts were constructed that the arch radius remains constant. The pillars have a trapezoid shape, so are wider on the outside. 
Peter

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3470 on: March 26, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »
Many thanks for all the updates, Andrew. I'm now up to date. 8-) Excellent progress. Those M7s are certainly a long way from home!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3471 on: March 26, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »
aha! thank you for that Hiawatha .... that I can do :)

Thanks for the pick up on the loco and number Mick, only excuse(s) is that it was early, my loco spreadheet was wrong and I am 99.9% sure the box said class 24!  Those of you who have followed my rambling the past few years will know I can just about tell a Class 43 from a Class 44  :) 

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3472 on: March 26, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »
Thanks Chris, they are indeed, but they are lovely little loco's though and great runners (when the tracks are clean!)

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun ŗ son goŻt!
    • Awards
« Reply #3473 on: March 26, 2020, 08:23:36 PM »
Just in support of all pedants:

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=7645&loco=7645

Notwithstanding that it's a GF class 25/3  :D

I wish they'd retool that one.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3474 on: March 26, 2020, 08:55:32 PM »
thanks Yet_Another for that added clarity .... but I won't go to that level of detail in my loco roster - if I put class 25/3 into my loco tracker spreadsheet I'll end up with a class 8.3333333333   :D

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3475 on: March 27, 2020, 06:53:41 AM »
After paying a bit more attention to loco details this morning .....I can confidently say Class 37 D6736 is seen on the branch, awaiting permission to enter the refinery sidings and collect the first of the day's dispatches  (just don't ask me if it is 37/0 or the like! - much as this is one of my favourite loco classes, I only have a shallow knowledge of the subtleties of the sub classes)

Archways cut......

it all looks a bit "leggy" .... but this will be the inside curve and based on what Yet_Another suggested yesterday, the outer curve will have wider columns to create the trapezoidal shape, so should look ok I think .... might not be able to fit it on one A3 sheet though

I transcribed the deck template onto plastikard ... not looking forward to cutting those curves by hand ... I will take the opportunity to clean up the shonky lines of the trackbed though and bring the inner & outer curves into some semblance of being parallel lines

the local spotters have had a lot of new numbers for their books lately, the most recent visitor being Class 20 D8144 - this ones days are numbered as the chassis is set to be used on the Class 15 project that is brewing away on the sidelines

A small piece of scratchbuilding gets underway .... I won't say what it is just yet ... in case it bombs!

Wasn't sure how to finish off the top of the dam wall, had a notion to do a domed affair like one of the prototypes I am basing it on, but that was proving a challenge, so I elected to put a flat top on it, it won't be intended as a road way or

A video clip of some movements on the mainline by Dunning ... watching the video back, I realised that this was the derelict signal box mentioned in @keithbythe sea  Sonmel thread yesterday .... and maybe my advice was not so good as the signal box is not sitting very well in it's mould!  well maybe the advice was ok, just my execution of it lacking :)   I followed my normal routine with video's, but the quality is not great, apologies for that, maybe part of the overall downgrade youtube has done to stop the internet breaking

I didn't intend this to be the case, but when I was setting up this picture (hard to believe sometimes I know, but some thought does go into the operating pics occasionally)  ;)  but it struck me as a bit of a homage to the last farewell working recently of the class 43 HST set that travelled around the country

but in reality, it is a slavish devotion to rule 1

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3476 on: March 27, 2020, 07:22:56 AM »
A huge variety of tankers there!  :thumbsup:

I like the class 37 and 20. That class 20 looks like the old Farish model. How does it run? I assume ok, as you mention you're going to use the chassis in another project. I have one, but it's gone bad on me. Could be gears, or motor, not sure.

But I haven't really investigated, either!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3477 on: March 27, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »
Love the viaduct. The class 37 / type 3 is indeed a 37 / 0 york based mid 60s livery. The class 20 type 1, was based Nottingham 1966 to 75. Is it a poole era loco

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3478 on: March 27, 2020, 07:37:53 AM »
The Class 2 looks so good in green livery Andrew.
To my eyes, green suits them so well.
And cracking shots of it and the 37 on the viaduct by the way.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3479 on: March 27, 2020, 07:54:07 AM »
Excellent pictures and progress on the viaduct is looking good.  :thumbsup:

Regarding the signal box foundations.....

The modelling clay approach is good in theory, itís all down to the implementation though!!! Just saying (and seriously tempting fate since Iím only half way through).  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal