!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 201881 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1215 on: February 24, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »
Baron and Lady Tiverton are very glad that they managed to keep a low profile during all the celebrations.  They greatly enjoyed seeing all the A4s, but otherwise kept their own council with an early to bed and early to rise policy.  However, they did enjoy the journey and the stop-over in Birmingham, although they were greatly relieved to arrive at back Stratford-upon-Avon where they were met by their trusty chauffeur.

Baron and Lady Tiverton being good friends of Lord and Lady Trevelver were also invited to dinner at the local Laird's Castle so were not witness to the notorious events of that evening. Inevitably though, they did hear at least part of it. Birmingham Knotmore Street's stationmaster personally inspected the connecting train before departure and saw it off on its way to Stratford-upon-Avon.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1216 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »
Sighs of relief were heard up and down the length of Crieff when the processing lab finally found the missing box of films... some of the signs of relief were louder than others!

This means, the photo's of the Green Dragon arriving in Perthshire are now to hand - however I am having a challenge with uploading all the photos I have, so I will post some scenic progress

Besides the main branch line serving the distillery, refinery & Muthill. there are 2 other lines that cross the gorge, the history of which will be subject to future posts, I have started to push on with progressing the rest of the gorge

On one side, the side of the gorge has been supported by stone walling due to previous bridge collapses during floods

The other side makes use of a rock structure (a painted piece of cork kindly donated by Chis in Prague), along with some additional stone walling

So this is how it looks currently

A bit of news on rolling stock now, though this first image of a new PO wagon may cause drowsiness :)

The PRPS continues with it's work to recreate the iconic Edinburgh-Glasgow Push Pull service, the two specially adapted class 27's are in service and are shown here with the newly outshopped BSO, the four Mk11A TSO's are close behind, with only the FK to be delivered

And lastly, wiring progressed, with the addition of another of the Power District circuit breakers - Power District 4 will be the fiddle yard adjacent to the refinery

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1217 on: March 24, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
Good to see you back Andrew. Looking even more gorgeous (the layout that is).  :D

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1218 on: March 24, 2017, 06:47:42 PM »
aha... I see what you did there ;)

Thanks Keith, good to be back, even if that does means I am now back at work and the layout is a long, long way away at the moment!

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1219 on: March 24, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
Thanks for the photos., Andrew. Good to see the updates, again. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. of the special behind 'The Green Dragon'. I'm glad that the unwanted cork piece came in useful. I look forward to seeing the full push-pull rake with the Class 27s in due course.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1220 on: March 24, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »
Thanks Chris, only hope I managed to recreate it properly!  I know 2 of the 5 coaches are right, but am out on a limb with the other 3 :)  you know how ropey I am at identifying coaching stock :)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1221 on: March 24, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Thanks Chris, only hope I managed to recreate it properly!  I know 2 of the 5 coaches are right, but am out on a limb with the other 3 :)  you know how ropey I am at identifying coaching stock :)

I may be able to help you with that, Andrew.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1222 on: March 25, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
After some sterling antipodean help (thanks George), I can now post the pictures taken of the Green Dragon special arriving into Perthshire (with fingers crossed that the train consist is correct)

The RMB after the SO

FK & BCK bringing up the rear

An RFO in the middle

A look back along the train as it sits a Tullibardine to allow the special guests an opportunity to stretch legs and visit the distillery

While the passengers are off the train, the Green Dragon takes the opportunity to take on water

I have had a renewed mojo so I started to tackle the trackbeds for the branch beyond the distillery and the mainline at this end of the board.  From the Anyrail plan, you can see Loch Osc (fictional) & its dam, which will be a challenge to model :)

Unfortunately. I had to remove the Graham Farish display cabinet as it was just too tight to get past to work on the distillery corner

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1223 on: March 25, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
Thank you for these excellent photos., Andrew. The formation of the train looks fine. (In any case, it was remarshalled at Birmingham for its overnight stay and morning departure.) The BR SR Green SR CCT would have been removed prior to arrival at Tullibardine for the loading and reloading of its contents at the distillery.

Glad to see that you've started to tackle the trackbeds for the branch beyond the distillery and the mainline. The loch and its dam will be a very attractive scenic feature once complete.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1224 on: March 26, 2017, 07:16:51 AM »
With the retaining walls in place, I was able to press on with doing the upper half of the gorge river/riverbed - the challenge being to try and match it to the lower half!  1st step was to put the base coat of raw umber down (I really should complain to the operations manager about that class 37 that has been parked on the bridge for some time now!)

While I had the base coat out, I covered over the plaster between the refinery headshunt & branch line

With my trusty (& cheap) set of acrylics, I set about putting down some base colour for the water, with a few flashings of white to show some movement/turbulence, maybe a bit to "Seychelles" in colour!

I also did the same to the small culvert near the golf course - needs to be a bit more murky in colour (seem to have a bit of a traffic jam on the branch line)

With the paint down, I added the gravel/rocks to show the spate riverbed

Some cleaned up gravel from the garden dropped in for good measure to show bigger boulders

Hoover up the excess to reveal what has remained stuck down (thankfully some!)

Added a few boulders to the gorge

Next step will be to add the layers of Busch Modellwasser.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1225 on: March 26, 2017, 07:39:56 AM »
Brilliant pictures and really good modelling!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1226 on: March 26, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
Nice work, Andrew. I think when the bushes/trees have 'grown' all will really come together.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1227 on: March 26, 2017, 11:24:14 AM »
Thanks for the update, Andrew. Your work on the streams is very useful as I have several still to complete at either end of the Cant Cove layout. I'm particularly interested to see how the Busch Modellwasser works out as I'm also planning to use that. (I can buy it locally, I think. If not, mail order from Germany is not a problem, unlike from the UK).

I noticed a very nice SR livery SR 'Pillbox' brake van with a pair of GWR livery horseboxes, maybe, gifts from the CLPG and GWS? 8-) (I have one of each so a photo. of their departure could be taken.)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1228 on: March 26, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
Looking really good Andrew.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1229 on: March 26, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
Nice work, Andrew. I think when the bushes/trees have 'grown' all will really come together.

Thanks Mick, once I get the gorge completed & ready to fit the trackbed, I will plant a few more trees, including the one that always seems to manage to take root in the mortar of a bridge!  Always frustrates me when I plant a fruit tree in great soil, feed it, water it and nurture it only for it stay the same size as it was planted for years, yet these beggars seem to flourish in the cracks between a wall! 

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything