!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 202071 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1005 on: January 28, 2017, 07:38:26 AM »
Very nice work, Andrew. One of the reasons why I am so slow building things is that I spend time adding detail that won't be seen when the model is in place! However, you will know that the underneath of the arches looks good. 8-)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1006 on: January 28, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »
Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated  :thankyousign:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1007 on: January 29, 2017, 07:34:49 AM »
Little bit more work on the viaduct - trimmed of the excess paper (I had a bit of a tidy up in the railway van and now I can't find my scalpel handle!  ... or maybe I just think I had a tidy up & it is just lost in the clutter!)

I applied a bit of weathering, in this case it was the liquid modelscene track dirt - applied directly then wiped off, I also picked out some stones in different shades and added some coping stones along the top to hide the join - I had to improvise with that, as the bits that came with the kit were not stone & there were not enough of the bits that were stone that I could use, so a bit more of the Peco wall sheets used. It looks a bit shiny here, but will be weathered a bit more and muted down.

Here is how it looks in situ.  Have also been playing around with how I will close out the gap below the backscene - I had an old Peco one which had a bit of a river scene, so intend to try and blend that in......

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1008 on: January 29, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »
That is looking seriously good.  :thumbsup:

Back when I began my layout I used Peco backscenes, and foolishly mounted them too high so I got "maximum" use from them.

Of course we have photographic backscenes these days, but from what I see here and in the press, I sometimes think they are overpowering.

Where I live here in Australia, I'm on a narrow coastal strip backed by an escarpment. On recent trips to the UK, my overall impression is one of sweeping long distance vistas where basically the backdrop is sky.

At some places on my layout, the baseboard is only 9" wide, and when I removed the Peco backscene and replaced it with a low horizon and hand painted sky, it made a huge difference and gave a feeling of spaciousness.

I must admit I like the photographic backscenes, but I think they have to be given some thought as to their use.  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1009 on: January 29, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »
Good points George, the way I was approaching this was to try and reflect what the railways in Perthshire look like, very much being in the landscape.... whether I will be successful in that remains to be seen :)

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #1010 on: January 29, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
I can't offer any advice on back scenes as I've yet to confront mine. But, I'm watching what others are doing with theirs. Real land scapes are really pretty low angle and as George suggests are not normally high above the horizontal except where he lives. One approach would be just to try out back scenes of different heights to see what is optimal.

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1011 on: January 30, 2017, 06:09:21 AM »
The Carriage and Wagon Dept finally received the paint to complete some tankers that have been waiting in the wings for a while (i.e. I got some good advice from Robbie on the paint shade required!)

There has been a growing number of references to the local hot air balloonist Austin Spindler in my thread, so I thought I would bring into life the mode of transport in question

I purchased a range of items from Lytchett Manor, one of which was a Vitriol Tanker, so I started having a go at putting it together

Seen here in the painting bay

The tanker rake of 3 "ACME" Kerosene tankers and a Brotherton Ammonia tanker sit in the refinery head shunt - the Kero ones are not too bad, affected by my earlier attempts to match the paint, but I am pretty pleased with the Brotherton one :)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1012 on: January 30, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »
Top job. They look great!  :thumbsup:

Is that Annie or Clarabel in the background?  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1013 on: January 30, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »
Thank you :)  that is a good point ... I can't recall which one was the brake end... if any!   But I did get some Thomas the Tank faces to use on PRPS Santa specials ... so I could recreate one of them :)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1014 on: January 30, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »
Thank you :)  that is a good point ... I can't recall which one was the brake end... if any!   But I did get some Thomas the Tank faces to use on PRPS Santa specials ... so I could recreate one of them :)

Clarabel has a brake compartment. :)

Viaduct looking very good.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1015 on: January 30, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
Clarabel it is then :)  My kids are all in their teens, so I have lost the excuse to research such a topic :)

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #1016 on: January 30, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
Have also been playing around with how I will close out the gap below the backscene - I had an old Peco one which had a bit of a river scene, so intend to try and blend that in......

As I drive around that area, I'm struck by how many disused railway embankments there are, some doubtless thanks to Mr Beeching, but others ex-industrial, so could that sort of thing be part of the answer?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1017 on: January 30, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
Very true Mike, I will have a lot of boards to landscape, so that is a good idea.

I also keep a watchful eye out for any more abandoned railway vans :)  ... not that there much chance of me being allowed another one  :-X

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1018 on: January 31, 2017, 08:27:43 AM »
As a bit of fun for stories for the backstory, thanks to the help of NGF members, I got some of the almost N gauge sized Thomas the Tank cake toppers so that I could run some "Santa Specials", which in the world of preserved railways, are entirely prototypical :)

Look away now those of a nervous disposition or under 12!  Percy "off his face" you might say!

Primer on the vitriol tanker, had to improvise with some double sided sticky tape (in the best Blue Peter tradition) to be able to paint it

My first venture into Fox Transfers, simple enough, but different again from previous transfers I have used - just some simple CR freight wagons.  Not a great photo - but think they will look good behind the CR livery Fairburn :)  (once I have tidied up the frames)

Some other bits and pieces on the work tray .... some salt wagons, a coal merchant and painted the boards on the 2 flat cars which I plan to convert to trestle wagons and the painted vitriol tanker components & 2 more wagons for CR lettering

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1019 on: January 31, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
Thanks for the update, Andrew. You're building up a very impressive collection of rolling stock, there. I hope you'll have enough locos. to haul them all! 8-)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here