!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 201879 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #945 on: December 18, 2016, 06:12:25 AM »
After a few days of organising rolling stock and a bit of loco running, I went back to the gorge to progress it, in order to fix the front two running lines down, I need to start completing the scenery from back to front as once the viaduct is in place, I won't be able to get access in behind it very easily.  To start with, I need to keep building up the layers of polystyrene so I can carve them.   

I fixed the remaining ply formers in place

Just to keep things interesting, the right hand trackbed will rise across the gorge, while the one to the left of it will remain level - the track over the viaduct also has an incline (thought relatively level over the viaduct).  While the main branch line is based on a line that did exist in reality, the front two are imaginary.  I shall post a bit more of the backstory surrounding them now that they are making an appearance

Here is an "aerial" shot of the building up process

I glued down the fiddle yard approach roards .... seem to be spending a lot of time waiting on glue to dry at the moment!  At least there are plenty of other things to be doing while I wait

Here is the progress so far, I need to bring in the sides of the gorge a bit at the front edge... the intention is to suggest that there is hill where the viewer would be standing, and the river is narrower at the front, then widens out slightly under the viaduct as it feeds down into the valley, represented by the back-scene... I can't decide if I will make it a small tributary or a bit more of a raging torrent!

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #946 on: December 18, 2016, 06:20:42 AM »
I tried a raging torrent on my layout and ended up ripping it all up 'cos it looked so bad. Still or slow moving water is much easier.

Well for me, anyway.  :(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #947 on: December 18, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »
Andrew

Your sky is blue and the background is gently rolling hills so unless you've had a storm pass recently, it seems to me that a fairly tranquil stream might be best. And like George says, raging torrents are going to be more difficult, but you may enjoy the challenge. I must say I'm a fan of features like gorges and high bridges over them - looking forward to seeing how yours develops.

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #948 on: December 19, 2016, 06:08:53 AM »
With a bit of sunshine in Perthshire for a change, the fiddle yard approach track was dry (I think someone has lost the key to the Class 04 as it has been sitting in the station for a few days now!)

With the 4 cartridges I made so far all full, I made another couple - you can see the fiddle yards are now pretty well full (fiddle yard 1 can be seen in the background) with the influx of recent rolling stock acquisitions - a lot of these are being temporarily stored and will be moved on in due course.

In order to better know its rolling stock catalogue, the PRPS has started a project to photograph each item for it's website, which will also have the history of each item (where known).  Aly McAteer, Marketing Director at the Tullibardine Distillery, a keen amateur photographer, has been commissioned to carry out the work, at his request, given the recent trips to Cornwall and the SW, he started with the SR coaches that the society has available to it.  The society have an started an appeal for information on the rolling stock so that the web pages can be as informative as possible.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #949 on: December 19, 2016, 04:45:11 PM »
The gorge is looking spectacular Andrew. Can't wait to see some rock faces appear. (Remember the baby wipes)  ;)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #950 on: December 19, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
Thanks Keith, A lot of the gorges around Perthshire and the central belt steep banks that are heavily wooded... one of my favourites is through Glenfarg, just south of Perth - a tragic victory for the automobile, the relatively profitable line from Kinross survived Beeching, but the Scottish Office forced its closure so a small portion of the trackbed could be used for the M90 - so I think this one will be along those lines... though not too heavily wooded - sure there will be a few rock promontories too :)

Cant be many forums where you can get away with an innocent statement like "remember the baby wipes"   :D

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #951 on: December 20, 2016, 05:52:45 AM »
Not much to report on progress, just a few more rolling stock items on display

A suggested 3 car runaround set has been put together to be used on future planned SR themed operating days, the M7 being a potential loco for it

A bit more progress on the building up the gorge, I have cut the track bed now too so I can fix down and start building up the landscape on the station side

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #952 on: December 20, 2016, 08:19:34 AM »
Thanks for the latest updates, Andrew. The three coaches look like generic Graham Farish ones; if they have corridor connections, they are 'mainline' ones, if not 'suburban' ones. I have a matching pair (brake end one, composite one) of both types as preserved CLPG stock and my M7 is used with them. Your preserved M7 would look good hauling yours, too. (I'm now considering adding a SR Green M7 to my BE Black Late crest one.)

One of my plans is to convert my BR SR Green pair of 'suburban' ones (brake end, composite) into an approximation of the BR conversion pull-push trains.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #953 on: December 20, 2016, 05:45:03 PM »
Looking good Andrew.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #954 on: December 21, 2016, 06:29:48 AM »
If I had known what fun was to be had with a hot wire cutter and polystyrene, I'd have started years ago!  put a few cardboard formers down as well as I started shaping the approaches to the gorge a bit

Then it was more fun with the mod-roc (no baby wipes though, but I did remember a damp rag this time)

From the balloon of Austin Spindler, we can see the shape of the gorge now, I need to fill in the backscene hole at the back and think about how I will blend it in...  the plan is to use a simpler girder bridge type crossing on the front 2 lines, the story being that an earlier crossing had been stone built, but due to the limited funds of the original company that built it (more on that backstory to come if it is of interest), it was not a strong structure and it was washed away during the snow melt during the fierce winter of March 1947.

Mr Spindler has treated himself to a nice zoom lens for Christmas

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #955 on: December 21, 2016, 07:41:34 AM »
Andrew

Your finding out about the fun to be had with a hot wire cutter and EPS, I say better late than never. I started my scenery with plywood form work intending to cover it with gauze and plaster, but quickly realised that making hills out of foam using the cutter was infinitely easier. Your gorge is going to look very nice once the snow melts.

Webbo

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #956 on: December 21, 2016, 07:45:23 AM »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the latest updates Andrew, you are making excellent progress with the gorge &   :greatpicturessign:
     regards Derek.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #957 on: December 21, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »
Methinks the gorge will end up looking, erm, gorgeous :doh:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery