!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 202153 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #870 on: December 04, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »
Glad you're back on the NGF. What a pity those ICI tank wagons got damaged. The NGS Thompson BGs are lovely models and the teak livery looks wonderful. I can only justify BR Lined Maroon and BR Blue ones though. However, an unlined BR Maroon one could tempt me . . . although, really, two are enough for North Cornwall!

I look forward to reading more about the local history of the railway. A good 'back story' is always fun to create and might entertain others, too.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #871 on: December 04, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
Thanks Chris, I keep thinking I should try to get a better balance of posts on the forum... rather than month on month off.. but as you know, if I posted while I am at home... I would have nothing to do while at work (well apart from work)!

The tanker damage is a shame, I have not tried to remove it yet.... it is a strong bond... the seller sent them in those pre-formed pipe insulation tubes... with self adhesive bond... he taped over most of it but not all.... He did refund the postage though and I got them at a crazy cheap price along with 6 more rectangular tar tankers.  Worst case, I can get some transfers from Robbie and re-do them.

I have more of the local history developed and ready to post, was going to wait until the actual layout construction reaches those points... but that could be a while away yet. 

Good to be back though

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #872 on: December 05, 2016, 05:55:04 AM »
I opted to use the Tam Valley circuit breakers for the power districts

Power distribution box in situ

Circuit Breaker for power district 1 (Muthill & Fiddle Yard 1) in place - once I start to get things working, I will build a cover over these to protect them

Power bus getting united with the power droppers - will start as I mean to go on and have used cable ID's for the wiring... I just need to keep the discipline to maintain a master wiring diagram

It's all just being loosely ran at the moment until I am confident it all works... in this picture the main bus disappearing off to the left is for power district 2 (Refinery)

Also managed to lift the points at Muthill that I wasn't happy with

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #873 on: December 05, 2016, 09:09:47 PM »
 :hellosign: & thanks for the updates Andrew
      regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #874 on: December 06, 2016, 06:28:52 AM »
Having successfully lifted the misaligned points at Muthill (amongst some grumbling mind you), the PWG laid the passing loop at the station.

They then moved down the line to Tullibardine, where a decision had been made to install a headshunt for the refinery.  It was proving to be a pinch point in the timetable that was preventing expanding services.  To allow for movements within the refinery, gaps in the timetable were put in to allow the branch to be used as part of shunting movements.  With the new headshunt installed it will allow for more services on the line, which the ever popular tourist attraction is calling out for. 

The track was duly cut and removed

The new point installed, with a bit of encouragement

In order to progress work on the gorge east of Tullibardine, I have moved along with the backscene installation - first step was to fit some 3mm ply

Here you can see one sheet in place, around the window... I used wallpaper paste this time, with much better results

I had an attempt to set up my camera to filter out the colour cast I was getting on my pictures, in the process,  I also seem to have changed the picture ration setting.... and have taken most of my pictures in a square format..... oh well, I can pretend I was using a Bronica 6x6 camera  :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #875 on: December 06, 2016, 08:52:09 AM »
Thanks for the latest update and photos., Andrew. Using wallpaper paste is a very good tip (if I can buy some, here, I will) for backscenes. (I still have to have the curved corner backscene boards fitted to my baseboard.)

Fitting a headshunt for the refinery is an excellent idea. You'll be able to do shunting whilst watching trains go by.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #876 on: December 07, 2016, 06:14:31 AM »
I started cutting out formers in cardboard to shape the contours of the gorge, including the new refinery headshunt.  You can see here the CB for power district 2 in place, though nothing wired up to it yet

Caledonian Rly liveried 2-6-4T Fairburn 2085 takes charge of some goods wagons received from afar

whilst, new arrival 27008 in BR Blue takes charge of the Thompson BG at Tuillibardine.  Sister loco's of 27008 (27001 & 27005) are housed at Bo'Ness.

With power now available, I had some fun running some loco's between Muthill & Tullibardine... but found, as soon as I throw the point at Tullibardine passing loop (top right of the 3 points shown here), I get a short... the pic below is the offending area.... I have put the IRJ's where suggested in DCC Concepts write ups, between the 2 points, hopefully they are obvious in the picture .. though the picture shows a much greater gap than I thought I could see in reality .... the outer rails (nearest the wall) are wired to red, the other wired to black.  The passing loop to the right has isolating joints, as does the main branch line.  There are another set of droppers to the right of the picture and on the branch line, the droppers are a bit further down towards the golf course.  I can mark a picture up to make more sense of that description if anyone has any ideas on where the short is coming from.  It is all fine when the point is set into the 2 sidings.

To finish up, more stock movements at Tullibardine, Class 04 (newly arrived from Wickness) D2264 marshalls some of the older carriage stock on the PRPS, they also have a few more of these coaches in Caledonian & Great Western liveries

All in all though, it was very satisfying to see loco's running on DC & DCC  :beers: I will need to clean the track in the tunnel though .. just as well some sage advice was received to create access from above  :thumbsup:

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #877 on: December 07, 2016, 06:45:43 AM »
Andrew

If you could post us a sketch of the track plan with the location of the droppers and the IRJs, this would help us make sense of the short. With electrofrog points, if you switch the points to one direction (A say), then the two rails in the other direction (B say) are shorted out. So, if you have a power feed between the IRJ on direction B and the frog of the points then the system will short out. To check this out methodically, I would start with the location of each power feed in turn (with power off) and proceed along the track through the points and determine whether there will be a short if the points are switched one way or the other. Once you get to an IRJ, you don't need to go any further along that particular trackline.

Webbo

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #878 on: December 07, 2016, 06:52:45 AM »
Those Roddas waggons have passed me by I think.
Somehow I havent seen them before and Roddas factory is only a mile and a half from where I live!
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #879 on: December 07, 2016, 08:07:37 AM »
Thanks Webbo, here is a (ropey) sketch of what I have put in place

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #880 on: December 07, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »
Thanks for the latest update, Andrew. Sorry to read about your power problems but I'm sure that more knowledgeable members will be able to help.

I was also intrigued by the Rodda's Clotted Cream insulated vans having never seen them before but did not know that it was a real company near Martin. One would make a good addition to the "through" running stocklist.

The Class 04s are very nice models. It's a pity, though, that there are no kits (as far as I know) for an Andrew Barclay or North British diesel shunter as one of those would be more appropriate, Class 04s not being allocated to Scotland.

Are you going to add a Thompson BG in BR Blue to your stock? They are very attractive models but the Collett and Hawksworth design BGs look even better. 8-)

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #881 on: December 07, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »
Thanks Webbo, here is a (ropey) sketch of what I have put in place

Hi Andrew

I can see the problem. In fact, I think you have two problems. When you throw the upper right hand points (at the arrow) to the left as you have indicated, then that effectively shorts out the two rails on the straight through leg of these points. On that leg, you have another power feed and that is short circuited. You need another IRJ between your downwards arrow and the dropper straight across to the left of it. A similar problem will occur to the right of the bottom points where another IRJ is needed between the points and the lower right hand feed. 

I hope that this will solve your problem.

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #882 on: December 07, 2016, 09:15:15 AM »
Thanks Chris, Martin - I got them in a small job lot, not particularly cheap, but I thought they were unusual.  They were listed as Peco kits, but to me they look to be RTR, they are quite yellowed with age, maybe a special order by one of the bigger model shops?  I had a look for transfers, but can't see anything obvious.  The product I was well aware of having had many holidays in Cornwall :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #883 on: December 07, 2016, 09:24:36 AM »
Thanks Webbo, I think the phrase is .... Bu**ah!  is this what it should look like?  IRJ's on the 2 outer rails?

All the track is fixed down (I know, I know).... would it work if I cut a gap with a dremmel/fine saw instead of lifting and fitting IRJ's?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #884 on: December 07, 2016, 09:39:04 AM »
Have cogitated over your comments and my 2nd diagram over a coffee during a tedious conference call... I think I have shown the additional IRJ's on the wrong rails... they should be on the inner rail coming out of the frogs.... would that be correct?  (they will be harder to cut though!)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here