!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 195982 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #2940 on: May 17, 2019, 07:17:13 AM »
You'll be pleased to know that all the re-railing and wagon carnage got sorted out Keith .... though enquires are afoot to ascertain why there is a bus parked on the platform.  Here is the second motor of the turnout pair roughly in place

Overnight, the permanent way team had engineering possession and the balllast was put down

Tucked away the control unit for the points under the baseboard close by, i could have used one output to drive both motors, but I don't have a demand for a spare output at the moment, so just gave each motor its own output, made it slightly easier to set them up as it happens

Here is the scene after the signalling and permanent way teams departed for the day .... probably to the cosy bar at the Station Hotel ... seems a very notable person has appeared on the scene to inspect the work too ....

After all the faff & fiddle to install and set up the motors..... was time to test

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2941 on: May 17, 2019, 07:50:04 AM »
Many thanks for this update and the excellent photos. plus the previous update on the "Tullibardine" whisky vans. I really think the Minitrix Shoc Vans would benefit from the addition of N Brass vacuum brake fittings on the ends to complete them and the ferry van, too. After all the contents are very valuable and the Minitrix vans have the vacuum brake cylinders on the chassis. The conversion of the ex-LBSCR brake van to a PO one looks very good, too, and will prove very popular with visitors. I'm glad that the "Station Hotel" is now on site and open for business and will have an outdoor drinking area. Do you have a "Castle Brewery" and "Headland Brewery" sunshade?

I really like the way the scenery is progressing and the ballasting looks very good. Your layout is really coming along very well. I hope that you have some time to relax and watch some of your many trains go by.

I look forward to the next updates.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2942 on: May 17, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »
Thanks Chris, I'll see what I can do regarding the vans, but most likely they will be shipped out as they are, but I look forward to see if any recipients of the vans enhance them

I don't have any of these sunshades, I do have a suitable Amber/Black affair that was going to take a central position :)

Thanks for the feedback on the progress, I didn't have much time running trains lately, so need to address that going forward

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2943 on: May 18, 2019, 05:14:23 AM »
Thanks, Andrew.I'll email you about the vans and the brewery sunshades.

After next week, I should have more time to discuss 'through' trains, for this summer, with everyone.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2944 on: May 18, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »
Thanks Chris, Looking forward to participating in the summer through trains

Fitting the surface motors (you can just see the control board peeking out under the edge of the layout in the middle of the picture) kickstarted me into getting the other turnouts motorised once the ballast had dried. Here are the 3 I need being prepared.  I elected to try pre-wiring the turnout motors before fitting this time and included the wiring for manual push button operation as well as I have an idea starting to percolate regarding some local control panels

After my previous failure when I cut the motor connecting wire in Muthil and delivered a fatal blow to the turnout (the shock from the cut dislodged the tie bar & switch rails irreprably) .. I left the cutting of these for anotuer day!  This is the crossover at the west end of the diminutive station

Had a few challenges fitting the motors, this is a very tight spot under the baseboards and I struggled to get the optimum position for one of 2 of the motors so that they switched over properly

In the spirit of working through my pile of transfers from Robbie, I prepp'd up a batch of 7 plank wagons with primer

And glued in some cross supports for the carriage to give it a bit more solidity, this meant some notches needed to be made in the roof, which you can just see to the right

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2945 on: May 18, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
Sorry to hear about the damaged point, Andrew.  I just use a stout pair of side cutters and put my other had over the top to prevent the cut end of the wire from shooting off somewher.  I've never had a problem.  If you're going to remove the spring from the tie bar, wait until after the wire has been cut as it is the main source of rigidity for the tie bar.  I have now resolved to install Unifrog points in future so there is no need to remove the spring because the frog is isolated from every other rail.  The blades and frog extensions are hard wired to the correct polarity.  So if the frog polarity doesn't change in synch with the switch blade contacts, there is no chance of a short circuit.  With electro frogs, the Cobalt fulcrum slide bar can usually be adjusted to prevent shorts on switching.  Otherwise, a frog juicer is a certain way to prevent such short circuits.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2946 on: May 19, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
Thanks Laurence, I replaced that point relatively easily as it wasn't ballasted in and just ran to a head shunt...

I struck upon the idea of using the overhead shelving pelmet as a convenient location for some local control panels to let me set routes without the need to remember the turnout DCC address and used this to reasonable effect when I motorised fiddle yard 1

This is where I figured I could put such a panel for the Tullibardine turnouts, my problem with this location though is that there is no obvious way of getting the cables routed to it as I didn't make provision for that when I fitted the backscene..... to get cable to this location would mean long runs to the top end of the layout where the distillery is and then back again, I'm not convinced that is the best solution.

With the fencing contrators P. Allisade on site, the linside security on the branch has increased tenfold, some curious Highland cows (or Heilan' koo's if you prefer) wandered over to see what all the commotion was

well, lightning might not strike twice, but history has repeated itself!!!!  I tried to be too clever while cutting the connecting wire from the point motor... I often cut them too high and the top fouls certain rolling stock ... so I tried to be smart  :doh: (always a risk) and thought "I know, I'll cut down the plastic lug on the tie bar, so I can get the snips lower....." ..... It might have gone to plan if I had used a sharp scalpel, but as it was, it wasnt and it took a bit of sawing to try & make head way..... the result of such motion being, the tie bar and switch rails parted company!!!   :censored:

So, to put it behind me quickly, I whipped the damaged point out

...of course, it wasn't just as simple as that, there was a short piece of curved set-track beyond the point and it had droppers soldered to it.... I managed to damage the rail joiner on the bit of set-track during the removal process (and those set track rail joiners that are attached by Peco.... well I can't get them to come off!!) fortunately I had a couple of spare bits of set-track kicking about, so all was not lost.  Also, to complicate things, I didn't want to remove the motor as it had been a real chew to get it set up, so was also going to try and refit a new turnout with the motor still in place  :hmmm:

Anyway ... here is the carnage that accounted for why passengers turning up at the station that day for the 18:40 to Auchterarder found a Walter Alexander Leyland Tiger sitting in the station forecourt to convey them to their destination.

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2947 on: May 19, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »
Hi Andrew, 

Sounds and looks like a nightmare.

This is a bit of a thread hijack but might, hopefully, cheer you up a bit.

Sant Pau de Mar is looking forward to the arrival of the Tullibardine Malt Whisky ferry wagon at the 'Setmana Celta' (Celtic Week) Festival in the Summer.

This year will probably be a different set up but thought I'd post a few pics of last year where a young lad who works in the Distillery, I think his name was Andrew too, won the competition to come up with a colour design for the Tullibardine 'beach bar'. Some were not sure of his inspiration  ;).

Not sure if the local man who set up the mini marquee had totally got the spec right but although the bar was closed in the day, it was a great success and busy from the evening to the early morning hours.

The pics are only of the daytime I'm afraid......

IMG_1107 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

IMG_1108 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

IMG_1105 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

IMG_1104 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

I was bored and decided to experiment with old bits and bobs. Hope you don't mind the hijack. Will do better later this year.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:04:43 AM by weave »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2948 on: May 19, 2019, 11:38:28 AM »
Superb work, Chris (Weave). But, being a hot day, I expect whisky cocktails rather than neat malt whisky (with a drop of Scottish spring water?) were more popular?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2949 on: May 19, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »
Superb!!! love it Chris, a very enterprising young man obviously with a good eye for striking colour schemes :)

Definitely cheered me up :D  and very impressive painting/modelling  :thumbsup:   :beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #2950 on: May 19, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
Thanks Andrew,

Bit of a bodge job really while sampling wine the other night but I enjoyed it  :). The chairs need painting and the right table is knackered.

Did a bit of research and, as you probably know, Dundee Utd only started wearing orange in 1969 so might keep that small marquee (with better lettering and paint touching up) for my '80s/'90s era and make a new one for 1962/3 era if and when it's part of the 'through runnings' from The West Country down to me on the Med Coast.

The Celtic themed festivals are often held in Izaro due to the large number of migrants from North West Spain who originally came for mining work and now reside there.

Hijack over,

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:29:13 PM by weave »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2951 on: May 19, 2019, 05:48:43 PM »
Superb work, Chris (Weave). But, being a hot day, I expect whisky cocktails rather than neat malt whisky (with a drop of Scottish spring water?) were more popular?
Whisky cocktails with a fine single malt.
Oh.....no..no...
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #2952 on: May 19, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »
Another small hijack, sorry Andrew.

Hi Martin,

Don't worry. As I said the bar was/will be closed in the daytime. It only comes to life as the sun goes down, the temperature drops and a few fine single malts take the chill off a bit as the revellers are all still in shorts and T shirts.

I might need some future Whisky drinking etiquette advice though as I was further down the beach with a 2 litre bottle mix of Larios Gin and Fanta Limůn  :-[   :no:. Great days  :claphappy:.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2953 on: May 20, 2019, 07:19:27 AM »
With news of some continental practices of making cocktails with fine malt whisky reaching the ears of some of the more traditionally minded workers at the distillery ..... some were so distraught at even the thought of it they couldn't even face their haggis and jam sandwich at elevenses...... 

Thanks for the research findings on Dundee United, indeed it was participation in a fledgling league in the USofA which had the aim of establishing football over the pond.  United were imported to play as Dallas Tornado (Wolves, Stoke, Hibs, Aberdeen and Sunderland also took part..... with a certain Gordon Banks playing for Cleveland Stokers)   :thumbsup:  In the US, they played in the tangerine and black kit and it seems it was the then managers wife who convinced the club to adopt that kit permanently.   anyway ... bit off topic and apologies for those of a non-footballing persuasion .... I blame Chris  :angel:

Anyway ... back in Perthshire, the signalling team had to come back to site to do some more futtering, the point motor was sitting a bit high in relation to the turnout and was getting a bit snagged up during it's travel.  Fortunately, there was a bit of plaster here that I could dig out to create space to lower it

With the turnout motor finally installed, Rusty Ryan, proprietor of the Station Hotel, was able to see his new camping coach in situ, this was to be a self contained holiday let for people who wanted to be up close and personal to a working branch line  :)

Three things have happened at Tullibardine, the point has been replaced, the Leyland Tiger has been taken off-hire and the Art-Deco waiting room has sprung up (and a LOT of sausages have arrived!!).  I am also toying with the idea of having a small halt on the other side of the tracks (I have added some cork underlay to test this idea), the idea came to me after reading the excellent book "Passenger operations for model railways" by Bob Esserley.  In his book he describes older 4 wheeled carriages being deployed to ferry miners to & fro and I it occurred to me that I could run the same special PAX trains for my refinery workers :)

during the refitting, one of the droppers on the short curved section between the turnout and sidings became detached, so I will need to back in and re-solder that... and I really struggled to get the rail joiners to fit on the throat of the turnout (don't know if that is the right terminology).  I got the 2 exit routes in place and at the tie bar end, I had slid the 2 rail joiners completely onto the turnout rails so that it would fit into the gap.  The idea being that it would be a simple matter of sliding them onto the existing rails to complete the track.... however they refused to play ball and refused to budge.  I did eventually get the platform side one to slide over, but have as yet been unable to get the inner rail one to slide.  So I may have to come back to this and relay the platform track if it proves to be a problem.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2954 on: May 20, 2019, 08:08:50 AM »
Good progress Andrew and thanks for that little update re the attempt to establish football in the US (I hadnít been aware of that).

The Station Hotel seems to be the place to stay. Scottish Ales, fine malt whisky and trains. Iíll get my booking in right away.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here