!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 166298 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #2805 on: February 08, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
Yes, point blades coming adrift from tie bars can be a problem.  I have been fortunate in that, in all but one case, I have managed to relocate the tab on the blade back into the slot in the tie bar and glue it in place.  It's something you might be able to try now the point has been removed.  It requires careful manipulation with two pairs of tweezers to get it right in again.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2806 on: February 08, 2019, 11:32:33 AM »
**** appeal for info ****

Anyone able to lay their hands on a Minitrix Shoc van and measure the dimensions of the side .... I am progressing the Tullibardine Whisky Van transfers, but don't have the measurements needed to size the transfers correctly

**** end of appeal ****

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2807 on: February 08, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »
Looking good Andrew.
I think that carriage shed looks good.

Seconded and it should weather very nicely.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2808 on: February 08, 2019, 08:50:32 PM »
I'll measure up one of my Minitrix ShocVans, tomorrow, Andrew. Brian (Mito), Martin, and Pete (Wizz) all have one, too.

I particularly liked the photo. of the Class 121 trundles up the branch towards Tullibardine. As Cant Cove is now in 1963 I really should get out and photo. my current two BR diesel railcars.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2809 on: February 09, 2019, 06:57:32 AM »
Thanks Chris - all measurements gratefully received :)

A trip to Edinburgh to see studious offspring yielded the opportunity to drop into the wonderful emporium that is Harburn Hobbies, I also had a gift voucher from the aforementioned offspring to use there, so I had additional resources to deploy!

I am a sucker for branded stuff and couldn't resist this Peco Hopper (blurry pic ... sorry)

They have expanded their Harburn Hamlet range too since I was last in, so with a few developing ideas for the Muthill area of the layout, I picked up an allotment, an Anderson shelter and a flower bed for the station

A Parcel Train Brake Van W 310 W was also lifted off the shelves

And a Mk2 BSO(?) in Network Rail livery completed the spree

Once home, it was back under the boards to get the last point motor fitted of this batch, plus a real wiggle to fit the point motor with the cut shaft back onto the newly installed point

I'd love to be able to say that it was all carefully planned to place points so they don't sit on cross beams.... but it has been luck up until now!

A bit more tinkering with the hillside, bit more gorse and some vegetation along the fence.  Can see that Flassie, a distant relative of Flossie of @Train Waiting is having a wee nap in the rare afternoon sun

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2810 on: February 09, 2019, 09:29:40 AM »
Good morning, Andrew. Very good to see that you've added a 374-586 Graham Farish Hawksworth Full Brake BG Coach W310W BR Lined Maroon to your WR stock. So, that's another one that can run "through" from North Cornwall. AFAIK though, only you and I have this model in this livery. The same model in BR Crimson & Cream is more 'common' as both Brian (Mito) and Martin also have this. They were being sold at a discount.

The Harburn Hamlets scenic accessories are excellent, I agree. I have some. I plan to make my own flowerbeds as I have some Japanese scenic material to use and some Chinese and German containers.

The scenic work in the final photo. looks very good. The Scottish gorse bushes look larger than the North Cornish ones; must be the whisky fumes from passing trains! I do have a couple of sheep, somewhere so there will, eventually, be a North Cornish cousin of Flassie and Flossie when I complete the scenic area on the northern side of the sunken lane leading to Cant Cove itself.

The CLPG's chief rolling stock engineer has been out with his tape measure and apprentice and they have measured up one of the areas's fleet of BR Shoc-Vans. Allowing for fitting within the raised rivetted area, in 2mm Scale the length is 36mm and the height 12mm. I would also recommend buying sufficient (I think N Brass) vacuum pipes to add a pair to each van prior to respraying. (As you know, you can use a VB-fitted GF van as a guide. I guess you would need a pin drill if a hole was required to fit a 'lug' on the pipe casting?)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2811 on: February 09, 2019, 01:05:04 PM »
Thanks very much Chris, planning on the transfers can now continue!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2812 on: February 10, 2019, 07:32:27 AM »
A little bit more blending of the backsene into the station, my intention along the main bay platform is to line it with a sleeper fence, I had just enough sections of P&D Marsh sleeper fencing lying around to do what I needed, the DAS is being used to give it a footing at the right height to hide the bottom border of the backscene

Similarly, a smidgeon of DAS to blend the join on the station.... The gap is where the newly acquired Harburn Hamlet garden will go .... I am less convinced by this area, but it will be hidden by the station building for the most part and station clutter can take care of the rest!  The arrangement in the background of boxes, timber and cast iron signs is the car park surface (wet 'n dry paper) being being fixed down

After some correspondance back and 'fro between the PRPS and the Signalling Department at Poppingham, a first attempt was made on the branch line to implement some of the sage advice ... thank you John @Train Waiting  The Harburn Hamlets Anderson Shelter can just be seen on the left hand edge, I doubt this will be it's final location, but we will see ... this area is where I intend to have the plague memorial ... (the tenuous backstory element that explains the strange kink in the track)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2813 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
I have had these speed markers for quite some time, finally got around to painting some up

Not the final resting place, will straighten up the post ... bit hard to see against the willow herb, some of the drivers will complain about that

Did a little bit more work to try and tie up the backscene at the left hand end of the platform, a bit more DAS and a stonewall template I bought off Shapeways a while back.... a search of the internet offered up a picture that seems to work ok in the tunnel.... though it makes it appear a very long tunnel!

My latest Peco wagon has been moved down to Muthill, gave the local photographers a chance to get a better photo of it

A quick set up of how the station is beginning to look, nothing fixed, still playing with ideas

The snowplough gets another run out

And Stowe Grange gets snapped by a local trainspotter resting on the Ironbridge replica

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2814 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »
I think that tunnel effect works well Andrew. When viewed as part of the overall picture that would be a long tunnel looking at the hills on the backscene.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2815 on: February 12, 2019, 06:38:19 AM »

********** The Great Oil Spill of 1973 *************

Images have emerged of a disaster on the line between Stirling and Perth, after a derailment of oil tankers led to an environmental disaster

Amateur footage has been acquired by the Evening Telegraph and they can exclusively reveal problems with the train earlier in the day

Clean up costs are expectetes to run into £1's

Investigations are ongoing and RAIB are onsite, the line will remain closed for the remainder of the day

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2816 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »
A serious incident indeed. I'm glad to see Flassie managed to sleep through it all. :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2817 on: February 13, 2019, 12:41:00 PM »
A serious incident indeed. I'm glad to see Flassie managed to sleep through it all. :)

Seconded! Some sheep also seem to have Nine Lives! 8-)

Online GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #2818 on: February 14, 2019, 07:05:13 AM »
On the hillside on the right is there an unfortunate sheep who has been knocked over by the shock wave!?

Love the scene, and hope no damage to any other `stock` live or otherwise.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2819 on: February 14, 2019, 08:17:42 AM »
Spent a bit of time today restoring all the tankers to the rails, went through all 45 of them, dusted, reset wheels in axles (quite a few were barely turning, which won’t have helped smooth running), had to oil a couple to get them spinning freely. Had a much more successful attempt after that, just coupling breaks to sort out now!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here