!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 205167 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
That's a fine selection of wagons, Andrew.

Thanks Chris - It is indeed, after the mishap at Christmas over the scale (missus ordered OO gauge) it is great to see them, particularly like the Kinneil one as the Bo'Ness & Kinneil Rly had one of these, so that sates my nostalgia appetite and like the fact that I can get ones that are very local to the area I live from Robbiw

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2016, 11:47:32 AM »
That looks like it will be a very impressive refinery, Andrew.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2016, 12:04:52 PM »
It was not quite what I was anticipating.... but will be fun to try & see if I can create something that looks half way realistic!

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2016, 08:45:16 PM »
All looking very good. :thumbsup: You wont be bored for a while. :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »
Have posted an update on the modified layout plan on the other thread

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30688.msg359136#msg359136

News:  PRPS spokesperson, Pauline Bellamutt was pleased to announce that in addition to the Cant Cove vans, she had been very successful in securing additional Shoc Vans for the predicted traffic increase from the local distillery.  She also announced success in securing a large quantity of additional carriage & wagon rolling stock.  The good news was toasted with a dram of the Tullibardine 228 (this is Tullibardine Sovereign which has been finished off in Chateau de Chassagne Montrachet Red Burgundy Casks, which are 228 litres in size).  The new C&W dept. acquisitions should start arriving at the railway over the coming weeks, and some additional motive power is also being pursued.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2016, 06:08:37 PM »
For traffic to Perthshire, the "Castle Estates" top salesman, Brandon Williams, has reserved 2 SWB vans, 1 LWB Pallet van, 1 LWB Insulated van, 1 LWB Flat wagon and 1 double-bolster timber wagon. Of these, only the LWB Insulated van is missing. However, further deliveries of quite a few LWB Insulated vans as well as more LWB Ferry open wagons, additional pairs of single-bolster timber wagons and another twin-bolster timber wagon (insufficient of these were ordered and more are sought) together with another LWB Pallet van, are all expected to arrive from the West Midlands, together with various SWB open wagons and vans plus 2 BR Grey Shoc-Vans for transporting bottled beers, ciders, and mineral water to Scotland from the West Country returning with bottled whisky and empty beer and cider bottles. So, two special trains may be required and it is planned to add some coaches for West Country visitors and business partners to both.

Brendon has also been asked by Messrs Prisk & Jones (Vegetable Wholesalers), Trepol Bay, to investigate the market for fresh Cornish vegetables and flowers to be transported in their distinctive dark green livery vans and Conflat Containers. Initial trial shipments can be accommodated in the "Castle Estates" vans but Messrs Prisk & Jones hope that there is sufficient demand to justify using their own rolling stock. The North Cornwall Pasty Co. will also be sending some trial shipments the "Castle Estates" vans but, again, hope that there will be sufficient demand to justify using their distinctive satin orange livery vans and Conflat Containers.

Lastly, the Association of West Country Breweries members are excited about the chance to compete among themselves to brew a special commemorative ale for the former brewery that stood on the site of the Tullibardine distillery. The members are also keen to distribute Tullibardine 228 for their most discerning whisky drinkers.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
Some minor progress was made on the PRPS final home - the info boards only being fitted in case the carpenter makes a start & forgets to include them when he fits the end straps internally.  Was keen to paint the vents, just to see them stand out from their previously squashed state!

It is eagerly anticipated that more substantive work will begin in the very near future

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2016, 06:35:50 PM »
Nice to see the progress, Andrew. It's cold here, too. We've also had snow (now gone) but more is forecast, this week.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2016, 08:46:17 PM »
Thanks Chris, if it was not snowing, it was raining and if it was not raining it was freezing.... some days it was all three!

The Signalling team have started to contemplate how they will design the point operation, have bought a couple of these guys

But would also like to try my hand at the point motors as I have bought a few of the Peco ones and have never tried it before.......   so most likely it will be a combination of the 2 (plus some judicial finger switching)

If nothing else, the Modratec frames are very soothing to play with, I think they do offer them as executive toys too :) - were fun to build too, although a bit tricky in places, I only intend to use them on points though, so don't get to paint them up like a traditional signal box frame

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »
That signal frame looks relly nice, Andrew. Far beyond my capabilities. It would, indeed, be great to 'play' with. I'm still thinking about point motors. 8-(

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
It is surprisingly straightforward to build, the only tricky bit is fitting a tiny spring & equally tiny ball bearing into each lever as you build the frame... and trying to trap it against the adjacent cross member!  They do supply a couple of tools for the job & a link to an alternative method... but I ended up using my own technique involving a thin spatula.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
Pauline Bellamut, the PRPS Carriage & Wagon Convenor was pleased to update the society and the local distillery on the new grain wagons that have been sourced and re-liveried by the society for the anticipated growth in output following the recent visit by Brandon Williams.

The original candidates for the new Tullibardine livery

3 bodies leave the paint shop

The assembled train on public viewing prior to final detailing - I decided to leave the yellow ones as they are & just noticed (via the photo) the blue one was not assembled correctly!

Security arrangements are under review after one wagon was targeted by the local youths to receive an unapproved livery

The (almost) finished Tullibardine livery (need to tidy up the black lining & spotted one missing the yellow axle hubs) and weather them up a bit, the graffiti needs a bit of "blending" in too.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2016, 06:16:04 PM »
 :hellosign: thanks for the  :greatpicturessign:, nice painting, looking good
regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
Thanks Derek, the colour is known in these parts as Peugeot Seville :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: February 29, 2016, 09:21:58 AM »
Those grain hopper wagons look very good, Andrew. A tip for anyone reading: before repainting any model in a dark colour, give it an undercoat of matt grey or even matt white for a pale colour, first. I use Tamiya acrylic undercoat spraypaint but a generic acrylic undercoat spray can works, too.

Photos. are very good for showing up missed small details, I'm afraid. Ex-works, roller-bearing fitted axleboxes (for higher speeds) were indeed painted gloss yellow but, after a long journey from, say Cornwall to Perthshire, the underneath of the wagons would be covered in track dust and the yellow would be much paler, if visible at all!

The orange colour is very attractive. Eventually, I will make transfers to fit on medium-sized nameboards on the sides of my (and others') PO livery grain wagons. Mine are in the dark blue livery of the "Castle Brewery" (one, older, handpainted in dark blue, and, then at least one spraypainted). There will also be at least one in the "Headland Brewery" livery and I'm considering one in a hybrid "Castle Brewery" and  "Headland Brewery" livery, as part of the Alliance of West Country Breweries. One in "Creech Brewery" livery is also under consideration.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here