!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 233799 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1335 on: April 13, 2017, 07:25:06 AM »
I got myself a more portable Antex Iron, but really struggled to get to grips with it!  So had to wheel out the iron it was bought to replace.  I later tried a different solder and had better results, I do need to go back to nightschool for soldering!

Had some Walthers roof details, so made up the extract fan for the Cooperage

A glimpse of my loosely run Power Bus

Turned my focus to the backscene boards at Muthill/Fiddle Yard - loosely fitted here

Then it was just a case of cut & fit the fill in pieces

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1336 on: April 13, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
Wow! That's a lot of work to have got through in a short time.   :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2017, 09:16:19 AM »
Thanks Laurence, had a difficult start to the year, but have found a renewed mojo lately and really enjoying the time I spend on the layout, managed to find a better balance with all the outside jobs too, though that might come under pressure now the summer is creeping up on us!

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1338 on: April 13, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »
Andrew

You are proceeding like a house on fire. I'm envious. You mentioned a recent mojo problem. I much sympathise with that. I have a related problem of being bogged to the axles with my scenery design which is really getting me down. We will persevere.

Webbo

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1339 on: April 13, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »
I think sometimes that our imagination is greater than our ability to put it into reality. We get there in the end so don't give up.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1340 on: April 13, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement Ian, Brian, It has been the forum that has kept me going, all the time I am away at work, I get really enthused about what I want to do with the layout when I get back, then when I get home,. I feel swamped because there is just so much to do and end up not doing very much!  Last time home, I just worked on things that interested me with no overall objective, and jumped about between different bits... and ended up doing loads and enjoyed it immensely in the process ... guess I have a bit of butterfly approach!  Is a bit like that at work, have to keep a lot of plates spinning!

But you are right Brian, I have a wonderful image in my mind of how I want it to look, but struggle to get it from my head to my hands at times :)  There are some superb layouts on the forum though, lots of talent out there to be inspired by

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1341 on: April 14, 2017, 06:25:19 AM »
I know how you feel, Andrew.  My problem is that, starting from scratch, there is so much I want (and need) to do that it is often difficult to prioritise things, or even get them into logical order.  But you do seem to be getting up a good head of steam at the moment.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1342 on: April 14, 2017, 07:25:50 AM »
I hope I can keep up the momentum, but will be more pressure to do outside jobs as the weather improves & longer days come around - my partner wants some proper paths to get to the beehives (all 3 colonies survived the winter & are really strong!) as well as a storage hut

I got to grips with the girder bridges across the gorge, strip of Plastruct girder added to the front one to bring it up to a better height with a bit of balsa wood similarly deployed for the middle one

Bit of a "disaster at the distillery".... the switching blades of one of the junction points have become detached from the tie-bar.... only discovered it during testing the clearances in the sidings..... no idea how it happened, don't remember anything being dropped on it, PWG are currently gathering repair ideas (head scratching!)  :read: :pint: :hmmm: :'( ???  will be a  :censored: to get out to replace it!

The distillery corner as it is coming together - have added some decals to the dispatch buildings and the "veranda" roofs to protect the dockers from the elements

Back to med school now to play with rockmod :)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1343 on: April 14, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
Bit of a "disaster at the distillery".... the switching blades of one of the junction points have become detached from the tie-bar.... only discovered it during testing the clearances in the sidings..... no idea how it happened, don't remember anything being dropped on it, PWG are currently gathering repair ideas (head scratching!)  :read: :pint: :hmmm: :'( ???  will be a  :censored: to get out to replace it!
I've had this a couple of times with a Peco Code 55 point.  Again, there was no obvious cause.  The problem became apparent after I switched the point, with either a derailment or a short circuit.  I found it fairly easy to insert the small lug back into the tie bar and then everything was OK.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1344 on: April 14, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »
It's difficult to see from the photo, but do you have room to use a pair of thin nosed pliers to slide the fishplates fully onto the adjoining piece of track and then lift the point out for replacement if Laurence's solution is not possible?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1345 on: April 14, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »
Possibly Mick, should still be enough room to wiggle the IRJ's in and out - from previous experience, should be able to break the glue bond ok.

My initial strategy was to try and fit something below the tie bar to raise it up and superglue the rails back into place - I have had a burst of realisation (senior moment cloud clearance) - I remember having to drill a hole in the tiebar because I had drilled the baseboard hole for the point motor rod centrally .. and the electrofrogs don't have a hole there (I have since started drilling the holes to the side for that reason), I must have disturbed something in the process, though it was working ok when I installed it and tested it before

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1346 on: April 14, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
 :hmmm:
Those verdammt plastic ones will make it more difficult :uneasy:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1347 on: April 14, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
I can see the lug on the left hand switch blade, so it has come out of the recess in the tie bar.  I you switch the point to straight ahead (to the right as you look at it in the photo), you should be able to relocate the lug into its recess with a pair of tweezers or a small pair of pliers.  I used a small pair of angle nosed pliers for mine, without having to remove the point from the baseboard.  It's worth having a go, provided the tie bar hasn't given up the ghost because of the hole you drilled in it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #1348 on: April 14, 2017, 10:58:35 PM »
Andrew

Your layout is progressing at an impressive pace

Great work and I check out your posts regularly as they are an excellent record of progress

:greatpicturessign:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1349 on: April 15, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »
Thanks Rabbitaway - good to hear your enjoying the posts

To complete the backscene at Muthill, I needed a support

With a bit of offcut, I knocked up a shelf under the layout to house the Digitrax SEBX power pack - with it's installation, that makes the layout DCC only!

With the ply installed, I could proceed with "hanging" the backscene, I managed to pick the windiest & most shower laden day of the month so far to do this (weather coming into play as I was pasting the sheets up outside the van)

As I was doing it, I could hear Micks words in my head about 90 degree angles in backscenes... sorry Mick!  there is a bit of a curve in there!

Though not so here.....  :-[

With the backscene in place, it gave me the required push to clear the site of all the bits that had been dumped here so that I could start to lay the track in what will be the main HQ of the PRPS, which, as I have mentioned in the past, is very loosely based on the SRPS base at Bo'Ness, a place where I spent a few of my teenage years laying track to Kinneil and helping around the yard, even having one session as a trainee fireman!

And the distillery buildings back in place - you might notice an additional one, This was made from the bits left over during the "low relief" build of the main building, I like the fact that it looks very different from the rest of the building it came from, yet keeps the same style of building, it will look good as the main entrance for the distillery, I am quite pleased with how this corner of the layout is shaping up, though still putting off building the turntable..... 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal