!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 10237 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #300 on: Yesterday at 07:34:27 AM »
Yep, looks good to me too.  :thumbsup:

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: Yesterday at 09:49:44 AM »
Typical of old streets many of us would have walked down when we were kids. I had the idea though that the other end of the layout would be a little more modern.
More of a 1980s (give or take) feel.

Speaking in my official capacity of a child of the mid 70s ~ mid 80s (I have Official Government Documentation to prove this), it puts me very much in mind of the "Provincial Concrete Brutalist" school of architecture which probably looked modern and cutting-edge on the architect's brochure in the late 1960s or 1970s but which aged incredibly badly and were the perfect accompaniment for a dreary wet provincial Saturday poking around the town centre, reading the magazines in WH Smiths and programming the home computers in Dixons in 8-bit BASIC to print rude words in a loop (bonus points for making the program uninterruptible other than by pulling the power plug, much to the annoyance of the spotty shop assistant). Then we met up in the Tesco cafe at the pre-arranged time with the parents for lemonade and jam doughnuts. Oh those were the days.

However my inner pedant urges me to point out that "TESCO Express" is very probably a 1990s thing, having exited the country on a ferry in 1991 it joins a list of post-1991 things which still seem a bit strange to me, like the National Lottery, "Greggs", "Wetherspoons", "Strictly Come Dancing", "Channel 5" etcetera.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: Yesterday at 11:44:13 AM »
I cannot even begin to think how better to describe it more eloquently than the goodly gentleman above. But how very true! Broadmead in Bristol (the City of my Genesis) was so very much like that. Must have been a post-war regeneration scheme when WW2 had proved that concrete was the answer to everything and only Barnes Wallis stood any chance of doing anything about it.

Saturday afternoons in Broadmead. They were the days.

The car park is brilliant!  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: Yesterday at 04:48:38 PM »

....... the "Provincial Concrete Brutalist" school of architecture which probably looked modern and cutting-edge on the architect's brochure in the late 1960s or 1970s but which aged incredibly badly and were the perfect accompaniment for a dreary wet provincial Saturday poking around the town centre, reading the magazines in WH Smiths and programming the home computers in Dixons in 8-bit BASIC to print rude words in a loop

Yep agreed! Towards the end of the 60s yours truly was at building college and the stuff we were designing looked great on our drawings but as ugly as sin in reality.

10 cls
15 ink 5 paper 0
20 for x=1 to 10
30 print "Aint I clever hahahaha"
40 next x
50 wait 3
60 goto 10

However my inner pedant urges me to point out that "TESCO Express" is very probably a 1990s thing....

I'm sure you are absolutely right!  :)  Rule one at Saxon Street doesn't only cover the trains. Nothing is safe, buildings, cars, buses and lorries, advertising posters, road markings  :)

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here