!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for MSW/LNER EM1  (Read 20165 times)

Offline 7P5F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14536
    • Awards
Suggestion for MSW/LNER EM1
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »
There seems to be  some support on the yahoo n gauge forum for an MSW/LNER EM1.I for one would be very interested in one of these models.These would look great in BR green or no.26000,the prototype which was slightly different to the rest of the class in the cab windows & body grilles.EM2`s were an express design, slightly odd choice as they were rated at 90 mph which was above the line limit,however i could be tempted by one in NSL Dutch livery.

Ray.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:09:34 AM by Pengi, Reason: Changed title »

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for MSW/LNER EM1
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »
Hi

I would be interested in em1s but would you be proposing both the non MU and the MU fitted ones?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
The EM1 has been done both as resin and etched kits in the past - both sold dismally at the time. The EM2 was done as an etched kit including the Dutch version - ditto. Tommy was done in resin ditto.

So while I'd love to see them history isn't in favour here. Maybe as RTR they'd make the number and at least with Kickstarter someone can try.

Mind you I've got an EM1, a 26000 and half built EM2 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »
The EM1 has been done both as resin and etched kits in the past - both sold dismally at the time. The EM2 was done as an etched kit including the Dutch version - ditto. Tommy was done in resin ditto.

So while I'd love to see them history isn't in favour here. Maybe as RTR they'd make the number and at least with Kickstarter someone can try.

Mind you I've got an EM1, a 26000 and half built EM2 8)

Alan

Hi Alan

I have twelve EM1s all built from kits but you can never have too many  :D

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:36 PM »
I would be very tempted to get a one of each, especially been a Manchester lad although I am to young to have ever seen the Woodhead route running.

So while I would love one I think it's fair to say it's an outsider as the Woodhead route is a very niche market, although for those that have the will it could make for a very interesting layout, you can mix Electric, diesel and kettle steam all together and it will be prototypical!

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:52:54 PM »
I'd go along with this suggestion, because it's surprising how many are attracted to the locos in their own right as a novelty, even if they don't run them in model form under any catenary.

As I have a small collection of steam locos, of which the prototypes ran on ex-Great Central lines, I'd buy one lined black EM1 and possibly one of the lined green named versions (26046-57) as well, if offered.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »
A definite "Rule 1" purchase for me and even if not looking it first off I think a surprisingly logical choice, quite long lived (unlike the 21/29 possibly?) could run alongside steam from early 50s, through steam/diesel transition and right through the BR Corporate Blue era to 1980 so into TOPS.

The only limitation is potentially geographical, but I do not doubt a few 1500v DC layouts would adopt a "what if" back-story to justify them.

The OHLE was quite unique I believe so maybe that would be a cue for the cottage industry to do something?

I'd probably go for a couple, one in BR Green and one BR Black.

Roy

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for starting this thread.

Have you got any suggestions as to which manufacturer might be best placed to make this model?  Are there any in existence in other scales?  I think Heljan may have done an EM2 for Olivia's trains but I don't have time to google it now....

cheers

Ben A.

Offline 7P5F

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
Hi Ben,thanks.The heljan version is an  EM1 although from what i read,it`s riddled with inaccuracies & the pantographs don`t work,apart from that,it`s the only model EM1 thats on the market.
The one thing i regret is selling my Trix model in the 1980`s for peanuts so while i would like an N version,i keep looking at Ebay for a replacement which runs fine on Hornby Dublo 3 rail track,in fact if you use Catenary & adjust the pick ups,you can have two trains running on the same track as in true TTR style.

I can`t see the big manufacturers taking this model on except perhaps Hornby under the Arnold brand.Look what happened to the Brighton Belle,i have the brown & umber version & it sold out pretty quickly i believe.

Cheers,Ray.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »
I can see some pluses for a class 76/EM1. It is a signature item for the Woodhead Route and as such would open up a range of new modelling opportunities. The originals were successful, long-lived and carried a variety of liveries. One is preserved at the NRM (76020) which makes laser-scanning a possibility. Prior to energisation of the Woodhead route, the first 10 members of the class were tested between Liverpool Street and Shenfield which widens the appeal of the class a little.

Poor sales of kits could potentially be a negative but not necessarily. A Woodhead-based layout would probably need several as they were the primary motive power on the line and it may be that people balk at the prospect of building a fleet rather than a model (PaulCheffus excepted, naturally ;) ).

No current manufacturers really have anything like it in their range so there is no obvious reason to go for one over another. Given Rapido's good work so far working from laser-scanned prototypes, perhaps they would make a good choice?
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »
I know as well as there been 76020 at York there is also class 77 (former 27002) in full NS colours numbered 1505 at the Manchester Museum of science and industry, plus the cab of 76039 with the multiple working cables still on.

Thinking about it and reading up a little more you could potentially get extra sales from the continental market as the class 77s which are broadly the same were in operation in Holland till 1986.

With this in mind there is the potential out there!! Plus as Roy L S says and I know I would use the "what if" approach and say the 76s were redone internally to work on the same voltage as the rest of the network instead of scrapped, and we can't say this have never been done as it happened all the time with steam classes and even now with the 20s, 57s, and right up to date the 73/9s
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:40:46 PM by acko22 »

Offline 7P5F

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »
The MSL kit was based on,i think,a Kato electric loco chassis which is no longer available which is a shame because i seem ti recall that you could make two EM1s for the price of one loco.
If you want further reading,i can reccomend Woodhouse,the Electric railway by E.M Johnson in Foxline books.This will tell you everything you wanted to know about the electric MSW.

Ray.

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »
Strangely enough, and my close friends know this.
I've always said to them that as I don't think there's a proper business case for an N gauge EM1 or EM2, I would love to model the line.

I've also said to them that I would, in a very altruistic move probably make at least the EM1 commercially in the full knowledge it wouldn't be a good seller, simply for my own selfish reasons of wanting one (for 1 read a load.lol)

I'd be more than happy to be part of a Kickstarter, as designer and supplier, especially as I have Mercig on board for weathering, but conversely would fully support this model if done through an experienced N British model railway manufacturer like Bachmann.

Cheers
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
I'd be more than happy to be part of a Kickstarter, as designer and supplier, especially as I have Mercig on board for weathering

The thought of Ian doing justice to an EM1 in this sort of condition is almost enough to tempt me away from my love of all things Western.

Almost! ;)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 01:48:23 PM by Karhedron »
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
I fear Dave is right that it is probably difficult to make a commercial case for a 76, but that is the beauty of asking for expressions of interest - we can ask if sufficient interest exists! Though we have enough on at the moment!

As well as the MSL kit there has been at least 2 others IIRC - an older resin bodyshell (Cempro?) and Masterclass Models etched kit (which I think that Paul might have used).  It is the sort of thing that if someone wants to model the line then they want more than one normally!

How about a 506 to go with it!

Guide Bridge 1967001 1 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Geoffrey Skelsey (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
November Donations

Advertise Here