!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DJModels Ltd Press release - 18th October 2015  (Read 23902 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: DJModels Ltd Press release - 18th October 2015
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
The problem is, by the same modern standards, Dapol and Graham Farish models aren't -- out of the box -- reliable (or even running) as UM ones are. While they're certainly pretty and collectible, they're not exactly triumphs of modern engineering.

Depends what you mean by "triumphs of modern engineering". The motors are tiny, strong and capable of good slow-speed running. The locos are keep getting finer and more accurate working parts such as crankshafts and connecting rods. Overall they're modestly priced for what they are (in particular when you consider the quantities they're produced in for any given livery).

Without going back to the whole reliability thing endlessly debated here and on RMWeb, I'm looking forward to owning a DJM model (likely the Class 17 first) and establishing whether Dave J. manages to get closer to the perfect balance between price, performance and reliability. I hope so, because like others, I do get frustrated by irritating failures such as lights blowing on (in particular) my otherwise gorgeous Dapol locos.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: DJModels Ltd Press release - 18th October 2015
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »
The problem is, by the same modern standards, Dapol and Graham Farish models aren't -- out of the box -- reliable (or even running) as UM ones are. While they're certainly pretty and collectible, they're not exactly triumphs of modern engineering.

Depends what you mean by "triumphs of modern engineering". The motors are tiny, strong and capable of good slow-speed running. The locos are keep getting finer and more accurate working parts such as crankshafts and connecting rods. Overall they're modestly priced for what they are (in particular when you consider the quantities they're produced in for any given livery).

Without going back to the whole reliability thing endlessly debated here and on RMWeb, I'm looking forward to owning a DJM model (likely the Class 17 first) and establishing whether Dave J. manages to get closer to the perfect balance between price, performance and reliability. I hope so, because like others, I do get frustrated by irritating failures such as lights blowing on (in particular) my otherwise gorgeous Dapol locos.

Cheers, NeMo

Yup. the design flaws in the mainstream Dapol and (to a lesser degree) Farish models are the subject of many other threads, so to steer back onto subject..

I see the DJM models as an ideal opportunity for a new line of locos that actually factors in engineering design and avoids the flaws that Dave will have seen in his old job. Hopefully it's a case of learning from other people's past mistakes :)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal