!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol HST 125 power car - More problems  (Read 9997 times)

Offline CliveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
Re: Dapol HST 125 power car - More problems
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
I recently replaced the deceased double ended motor in my Dapol Hymek with a Mashima 1015. Surprisingly easy to do, and it performs much better than it ever did with the original motor. No chassis, electronics, drive chain, or bodywork mods required.
Here's a picture of the Hymek motor holder with the Mashima fitted. No idea if the HST motor set up is similar, but if it is, it's a potential repair route for less than £25.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:41:15 PM by CliveH »

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
Fantastic Clive!
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 05:07:38 PM »
for less than £25.

Even cheaper! - the 1015 can be had for £13.50:

http://www.kbscale.com/motors-gears.html

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline grahame

• British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
Dapol to the rescue  :claphappy: :claphappy:

Message from Joel Bright yesterday morning

"Hi Grahame,

Many thanks for coming back to me.

I will send out a new power car to you that has been tested ad runs nicely. It may not be the same livery but at least you can swap the chassis over.

I hope this will sort the problem out for you.

Kind Regards"

How can you do better than that? Bravo Dapol..you chaps are great!  :D

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
As soon as the new one arrives and is running on my lay out..I'll be ready to fearlessly drill for the commutator (as per RusselH) and will report my findings. Hopefully this will help out others.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
How can you do better than that? Bravo Dapol..you chaps are great!  :D

Sometimes worth brass-necking it!

I suspect you may find the commutator has collapsed on the other one as another member showed in the Hymek thread.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Just received a Virgin Trains HST power car from Dapol. Swapped the body for my Executive livery and she is running really nicely. Hope it stays that way. I think this was a repaired power car..I presume it had a new motor...but great thanks to Joel at Dapol  :D

They did not want the old one so I AM going to find the commutator..no matter what!

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Dont forget to run it in for an hour each way at about 70% power

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »
They did not want the old one so I AM going to find the commutator..no matter what!

Graham(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

If it helps, this is the motor from a Hymek.
If the HST one is similar :-
Take out the brushes and springs
Bend up the four lugs
The casing will divide and the armature assembly will just drop out.

Cheers

Clive

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 02:07:54 AM »
Just in case you thought this saga was over (as I did) ..’fraid not! The power car ran nicely when I first received it but I did not run it very much. Next day I decided to run it in..but I did it slowly not at 70% as was suggested by "Only Me"  (you were right). The day after that I decided to run it in again but a bit faster. Put it on the track..NOTHING…no movement, no lights nothing. Checked track with meter..good voltage..still nothing! Several profanities were uttered which do not belong on here. :veryangry: :veryangry: I pulled out the bogies and VIOLA..an UNGODLY mess of huge amounts of grease. Way more than I ever saw on my first one. It was everywhere. All over the worm gears, the contact strips, the bogies gears and metal pickups. I set to cleaning it very thoroughly with tissue pads and hydrocarbon solvent. I did not have my ultrasonic bath available otherwise the bogies would have gone straight in. Back on the track and now she runs…ran in at 70% power..after half way..pulled the bogies and cleaned again. The grease had even oozed out between the split chassis. Now she runs OK..right…wrong!

After a short time the speed would suddenly slow then speed back up..when it was slow I saw voltage drop..then back up when speed up. Classic sign of intermittent short. Oh ****. Not the power car. The good news was..when I took off the trailing DVT..dummy power car the problem went away. So we pulled the bogies out of the unpowered car and replaced them with the ones in my original dead power car (these had been carefully cleaned before while trouble shooting power car #1)….and NOW it runs perfectly! I ran it for another good hour and a half at pretty high speed with a full train..running very well and only slightly warm.

I may have to pull bogies from new power car and clean again at some point but for now its fine.

Please don’t get me wrong…I am still very grateful to Dapol for sending out the replacement which I now think was not a repair, but a new one due to the huge excess of grease, but SERIOUSLY they really need to fix this problem (it has been noted several times before). Looks like it was squirted in there from the grease gun I used on the trunnions of my old Morris Minor. I would not be surprised if these hot and burnt out motors are caused by melted grease getting in there and causing untold damage.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:11:10 AM by grahame »

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »
You should be running in locos without any load ie nothing being pulled.

Paul

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »
After a short time the speed would suddenly slow then speed back up..when it was slow I saw voltage drop..then back up when speed up. Classic sign of intermittent short

I'd keep a close eye on this - it sounds very much like Dapol's intermittent motor surging syndrome which seems to occur on some models (I've only seen it on ones that were early users of the 'super creep' motor).

It happens intermittently enough that you can think you've cured it only for it to return on the next running session or a few running sessions down the line, so it could be still there and giving a false sense that it was the dummy car.

Best to run the power car alone until it's sure this is clear - and if you can get an ammeter on it, all the better (the speed slow is generally accompanied by a rise in current of the level of doubling).

HTH,
Alan

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »
You should be running in locos without any load ie nothing being pulled.

Paul

I did, during the "1 hour in each direction" running in period. In fact I did that twice..only added the train after both running in periods...

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »
- it sounds very much like Dapol's intermittent motor surging syndrome which seems to occur on some models (I've only seen it on ones that were early users of the 'super creep' motor).

However many "issues" do these have?  :(....so far it has not recurred after changing the dummy bogies (which I will not thoroughly clean)..but I take your point..thanks...

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
Makes me even more determined to "fix" my old one..even if I have to replace the motor as detailed above if possible. It seems that people have done similar Dapol locos but not this exact one..so I will take plenty of photos as I go. My first try will be to access the commutator one way or another..several pans outlined in this thread.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £10.00
Below Goal: £90.00
Site Currency: GBP
 10%
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal