!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farming community on the main line - am I off-piste?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline JayM481

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
Farming community on the main line - am I off-piste?
« on: January 23, 2016, 11:13:33 PM »
I've been mulling over layout ideas for a while now. We are moving in the Summer, and the new digs should have ample space for a "proper layout," so I'd like to get some opinions on whether my ideas have any merit and real-world equivalency.

My basic thinking, as I want this to be a layout to enjoy with my kids, so it needs some activity for three operators. My criteria came down like this:

1. Through main line (two track) so we can run our favorite express trains,
2. Rural station for local passenger services,
3. Goods yard,
4. Industry - as a farming community I was thinking a creamery, along with livestock pens and maybe a pork abattoir.
5. Local yard servicing facilities - Small engine shed for a local shunter, coal and water facilities.

We plan to model a location that can essentially cover pre-War steam (1930s) to end-of-steam (early 1960s), and with a bit of suspension of belief can become either ECML LNER or deepest, darkest jungles of the GWR's area (yes, I know a lot of rule one application).

I see operations to include:

1. Up and down express trains passing through,
2. Morning milk run picks up milk tank/loaded siphon(s) (or equivalent) at creamery,
3. Milk run with a coach (at least in the pre-war config) departs the station,
4. Goods deliveries - feed, farm equipment, supplies for the inn and shops,
5. Farm products pick up - livestock, bacon and sausage from the abattoir (one of those Palethorpe's siphons  :D ), grains,
6. Other regular passenger services,
7. Evening empty return of milk tank, which is shunted to wash bay then parked for loading

Track plan is still to be determined, but if anyone knows of a place that might be similar to what I describe I'd appreciate a pointer. I've poked around some of the available track plan sites, and the sites with historic signal box diagrammes, and found some that are close, but there's a lot out there I'm sure. Book recommendations welcome as well.

I'm an expat, not native to the UK, so I don't have the institutional memory many of you can deploy, not having seen such things in my childhood or youth. So please be gentle. Most of my research up to now has been confined to the web. Some sites that have given me inspiration include this thread on NGF: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31252.0 and this site: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/. Any other resources would be greatly appreciated.

Offline FourWheelCoach

• Awards
Re: Farming community on the main line - am I off-piste?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »
Bakewell.

London-Derby-Manchester express services.
Agricultural traffic. Light engine workings to Rowsley Shed  a couple of miles away.  Milk from Rowsley Dairy.

Of course you could model Rowsley but it would be enormous and by imagining it just off scene you can have the traffic without needing a model room 4x6 metres.

Been done on here before. http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24713.0

http://www.modellingbakewellstation.com/index.html
Somebody has a website devoted to their model.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
Thanks for that. Some good inspiration there.

Offline Kris

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »
If you include an abattoir then you could also include inbound produce, an excuse for cattle vans.

I would however suggest that you pick either the creamery or the abattoir, as should you have both then you are starting to look at a larger town rather than a rural location to support the workforce that would be required.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 03:14:20 PM »
Good point. I should probably keep it to a single mid-sized industry.

I've been tracing lines on Google maps. Some interesting locations, but nothing quite what I'm looking for yet.

Offline FourWheelCoach

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
To be honest, anywhere supporting a dairy or abattoir that had milk/beasts delivered by rail would be unlikely to be in a small village. Ashbourne had a dairy that was rail connected. It was a small market town at the time. Anywhere much smaller would not have the workforce available.

Rowsley had a dairy because it HAD been the end of the line.  The Manifold Valley railway had a small receiving dairy for the same purpose.

If you set your scene in a market town on a mainline thhen your goods yard can be the consolidation point for this traffic from facilities that are "just off camera".

If it doesn't have to be a real place or you are happy to go for a bit of alternative history then have Nestle build their dairy at Bakewell instead of Ashbourne. Alternatively,  have the LNWR lay the second track to the formation and run cross Peak semi-fasts using their most powerful engines to cope with the gradients.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »
I think fictional is the way to go, but I'm looking for track plan ideas. I'm going to try to knock something together in SCARM and post it for critique. I hope I can get close enough to prototypical that it won't be too embarassing.

Offline FourWheelCoach

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
How much space do you have for it?

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »
I have a 4'x6' table I'm using to noodle around on now, but I think that's too large in one dimension for reasonable operation. I'm hoping I can fit an 8x2 or 8x2.5 foot table in the space I have now. When we move, the space should be larger, but we don't know where we're going to be housed yet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
Although, geographically it is nowhere near where you're thinking of, Halwill Junction had most of the features you're thinking of in a fairly compact area if you model just the immediate station area.

SEE:
http://www.crjennings.com/The%20Remains%20of%20Britains%20Steam%20Age%20Railway/page%204/Halwill-JC-tp.jpg

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/halwill/halwill((early20th_alsop)junction_old23.jpg

This might give you some ideas (it needs to be adapted though as a through station):
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2015/post-13058-0-83345400-1427034405.jpg
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:21:58 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 09:36:24 PM »
That gives me quite a few ideas. Thank you.

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 09:48:57 PM »
I seem to recall Lapford station had an abattoir under one of the arches of the bridge net to the station!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal