!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 21 & 29 proposed by Revolution Trains  (Read 19660 times)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Re: Class 21 & 29 proposed by Revolution Trains
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
Hi folks

Thanks for the interest so far - if you are at all interested please remember to express interest on our website!

Cheers Mike

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »
Definitely interested but one thing to watch Ben is the drawings. I spent some time filing and cutting corrections into a Worsley class 21 etch ready to build before time and real life intervened. Just about every drawing of the class 21 and class 29 I have seen has serious errors on the roof (notably around the tank fillers: left of steps one side, right the other with another bit to the left of the steps)

I've even seen magazine articles with a drawing next to a picture that shows the drawing is bogus !

There are some other interesting livery oddities too -eg  some received overhead warning flashes.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »
Done !
After long hesitation, I succumbed.
I took both 1 class 21 in plain green and 1 class 29 in BR blue.
Initially, I was supposed to take only one...  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:16:24 PM by ohlavache »

These locos and wagons are looking for a new home! (updated on 10 March 2019)

Wanted items (only in their original box):
- Union Mills, 3F 0-6-0 steam locomotive in LMS crimson (N gauge)
- Fleischmann 8056, 2nd class coach 'Edelweiss' in red & white (N scale)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »
Definitely interested but one thing to watch Ben is the drawings. I spent some time filing and cutting corrections into a Worsley class 21 etch ready to build before time and real life intervened. Just about every drawing of the class 21 and class 29 I have seen has serious errors on the roof (notably around the tank fillers: left of steps one side, right the other with another bit to the left of the steps)

I've even seen magazine articles with a drawing next to a picture that shows the drawing is bogus !

Thanks for that - I am aware of the bodyside grille differences but not all the alterations to the roof.

We are a long way off of course, but if enough people express a firm interest and we decide to go for it we will, as with the Pendolino and TEA, publish CAD drawings here for anyone to offer their comments and assistance - all of which gratefully received and will hopefully make for a better model.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »

Hello all,

Thanks to those who've shared this info or are continuing to spread the word.

As with the Pendolino which is now in tooling thanks to the fantastic support we have received, this model can only happen if we get the word out.  The NGF and other internet chatgroups or forums have a part to play, as does the press (so far I have seen these projects mentioned in Model Rail, the Hornby magazine and Rail Express) but there will be plenty of people who've missed it.

If you're a member of a club, or have friends in the hobby, and you think they'd be interested in this model please let them know.  I have prepared a downloadable A4 poster that can be printed out and fixed to a clubroom wall, or attached to emails or whatever.

Similarly, if you're attending a show and would like some of our leaflets to hand out please PM me.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2015, 09:10:30 AM »

Hello all,

In case it helps, here is the same poster as a downloadable PDF file.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

cheers

Ben A.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
Hi Ben, great posters!

As an aside, have you seen the piece in this month's Model Rail? They have reported on the two new proposals, but unfortunately they have stated that both would be made by Rapido. You might want to correct them?

All the best

Scott

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »

Hi Scott,

Yes, I told them about it.  Annoying but not much they can do now. 

On our website it's pretty obvious who's doing what, luckily.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
Hi ,
Added two flyers into a junkmail and an energy bill evelope today - well you never know
Robert

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2015, 11:35:57 AM »
Here is a prototype for you.....

1968   - 3-coach special for Shiek Zaid of Abu Dhabi’s shooting party (Restaurant Car & Sleeping Car & Brake) arrives at Waverley from Bonar Bridge with D6129. Immaculate D1971 (Class 47) takes the train overnight to London.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2015, 04:30:25 PM »
I meant to post this at the same time as the 320/321 update but I got interrupted!  We thought that it would be helpful to give people an update on where we are at with the 21/29 project.

We are still picking up expressions of interest and clearly we will continue to possibly ad infinitum, but we feel that we need to set a deadline to a. help focus minds and b. to allow us to progress projects in reasonable timescales (or make the difficult decision that they can't go ahead).

So we have decided on a deadline for expressions of interest of 31 January 2016.  This gives people time to talk to us at Warley, hopefully see about the project in the next NGS Journal (as well as the coverage we have already had in various commercial magazines) and see how we are progressing with the Pendolino and TEA.

The current situation is we are just below 25% of the level of interest that we would need to realistically go ahead with production of one of either the 21 or 29 (and that we are a significant distance from being able to produce both classes). The most popular choice by some distance has been a blue class 29!

I think that it is fair to say that Ben and I are a little surprised that there has not been more interest as perceived wisdom is that transition era models will go like hot cakes! The prototype may have only lasted for a relatively short period, but it is an important model for that period that got across surprising amounts of the Eastern Region and Scotland.

We clearly need more people to express interest if we are to make this happen - please don't rely on others to express interest or delay expressing your interest.  There is no benefit to waiting to express your interest - at this stage we are only after expressions of interest not firm commitments of cash!

If you are interested in a 21 and/or 29 then please let us know by filling in the short form here:  http://www.revolutiontrains.com/class-2129/class-2129-expressions-of-interest/

Thanks

Mike

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2015, 03:31:43 PM »
Hi Mike

I expressed an interest in one of each with a mind to transfer to two of either depending on how it progressed.

I don't think there can be any doubt that steam/diesel transition is far and away the most popular and for me, like others on this forum the prototype would be most welcome.

That said personally I feel there are a number of factors that may be restricting it's wider appeal.

I did originally in this post question whether the choice of manufacturer may have been a factor? On reflection how I worded it wasn't especially constructive hence the edit (for those who notice). What is undoubted is that Dapol have produced some truly excellent (in fact ground breaking) British N gauge diesel models. There have have been problems with blown PCBs that have perhaps unfairly tarnished their reputation. Is this a factor? Would more details of the internal spec of the model encourage people on board (e.g. does it have coreless motor, better spec PCB?).

There is doubtless an appeal to many N Gauge Scottish transition period modellers like me but are there yet enough "Rule 1" purchasers who are aware of the proposal, those who just like a nice quirky model to make up the required balance of people? I think raising the "Rule 1" appeal is therefore going to be the challenge. I guess it must be really hard to reach all the potential purchasers (and I know how much you and Ben put into trying). Visibility at Warley may help push it along and downloadable flyers for those converts like me to print ourselves and leave at shows we attend. I will certainly "plug" it at my Club amongst the N modellers there.

Finally, would there be any advantage to consolidating into the Class 29 alone as far as any next steps are concerned to provide more clarity??

I truly hope it does garner sufficient support to proceed as I really do want to see them running on my layout!

Regards

Roy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:02:23 PM by Roy L S, Reason: Unhappy with original wording »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »
My expression of interest was based on an ER class 21 so I wouldn't like to be restricted to a class 29 only. If that happened I would have to withdraw.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2015, 09:27:09 PM »

Hello all,

This is still relatively uncharted territory for all of us, and to some extent Mike and I are making it up as we go along.

The Pendolino started with Kickstarter, which failed, but was rescued because Rapido agreed to "plan B" and in doing so proved the possibilities of the crowd-funded production model.

Mike and I felt that the 10% kickstarter commission coupled with their time limits, meant our own website might be a more effective platform, so we created one.

Our first "new" model was the TEA which is now close to production, and of course the Pendolino is making great progress too.  Being a far more complex model, it has not surprisingly taken longer.

The 21/9 was a direct response to the well reasoned discussion on this forum, coupled with the happy coincidence of Dapol having already drawn up the CADs in 4mm, but feeling N was too much of an investment risk.

Roy:  I take your point about Dapol, but their Class 22 is very similar (albeit significantly shorter!) than the 21/9 and is the obvious starting point.  I have a 22 and its mechanism is smooth and reliable, and in my view as reliable and well made as anything by any other manufacturer.  Put simply, I would not have put this forward as a plan if I was not confident.

NewportNobby: We aren't at the point of having to ask people to select one or the other, but if we did then yes, I anticipate that some people would wish to withdraw and that's fair enough, and at the moment the 29 is in the lead.

But I would urge those who want a 21 to at least think about supporting the 29 for this reason: getting a 29 produced would make a 21 far more likely in the near future since, in effect, it's just a new bodyshell.  The glazing and mechanism is largely the same.

On that basis could you justify having a green 29 as a "placeholder" on your layout pending the more accurate model? 

At very least, an RTR 29 would also be easier to convert to a 21 than trying to build an all-etched model, and it may be that some enterprising kit manufacturer decides to produce "drop on" resin 21 bodyshells that use the 29 glazing, chassis etc.

Of course, if you don't wish to have a 29 under any circumstances then I totally respect your decision and so be it!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2015, 09:37:33 PM »
Sorry, Ben, but being a pensioner with limited funds I wouldn't be able to consider a class 29 against a faint possibility a class 21 would come to fruition at some point. I believe I would be able to sell on the class 29 and probably for what I paid for it, but with no 'guarantee' of a 21 appearing it's just not possible :(

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here