What Era do you model?

Started by PGN, August 14, 2015, 09:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Searle

Quote from: sparky on August 18, 2015, 06:40:49 PM
I know others will disagree and have already done so, but I think in most cases we model a time that fits with our fondest memories around our youthish....

....I think if we overlaid our ages with the era graph it would be a good fit...

I selected eras 1,2 and 9 - how old does that make me?  :)

Cheers,

Dave

Dorsetmike

Quote from: Dave Searle on August 19, 2015, 08:55:49 AM

Cheers,

Dave

Sounds more like a split personality to me :whistle: ::)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

PostModN66

I know others will disagree and have already done so, but I think in most cases we model a time that fits with our fondest memories around our youthish....

....I think if we overlaid our ages with the era graph it would be a good fit...

Cheers,

Dave

Funny.......I am firmly era 8/9, but if I were to model steam it would definitely be era 1.

Maybe they have something in common - lots of diverse companies with varied and colourful liveries.

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Sprintex

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 19, 2015, 07:09:44 AM
Quote from: Sprintex on August 18, 2015, 08:19:45 PM
And if I was to model what I did see and use (very occasionally) in my youth it'd be all BR Blue -

For once Paul we are in (almost) complete agreement, but I can not remember a time when it was "all BR Blue". It's a bit of a myth in reality.

Not in the two whole years I used trains as a child, EVERYTHING on my local line was blue/grey without exception, no green or white(?) EMUs (didn't have DMUs on our line at all), hence my statement ;)

Paul

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Sprintex on August 19, 2015, 09:49:05 AM
And if I was to model what I did see and use (very occasionally) in my youth it'd be all BR Blue -

For once Paul we are in (almost) complete agreement, but I can not remember a time when it was "all BR Blue". It's a bit of a myth in reality.

Not in the two whole years I used trains as a child, EVERYTHING on my local line was blue/grey without exception, no green or white(?) EMUs (didn't have DMUs on our line at all), hence my statement ;)

Paul

Ah, I see now. You are just taking one line as an example while I am considering the railway as a whole.
The same argument could be made about Southern green, LMS maroon, GWR chocolate and cream or even a branch line operated by a single company today.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

johnlambert

Quote from: Sprintex on August 19, 2015, 09:49:05 AM

Paul

Sounds a lot like my experience.  I can remember all-over blue EMUs but I don't think I ever saw a green EMU (I was born in 1976, I don't know when the last green units vanished).  I'm sure there were a few years between the last plain blue units and the introduction of 'Jaffa Cake' when 'everything' was blue/grey.

But I'm willing to accept that my experience may not be representative of the network as a whole.

Incidentally, I do recall a trip to Harrogate in the mid-1980s; I wish I could remember the trains I saw up there but I do recall being astonished that there was no 3rd rail and the units belched smoke from diesel engines.  But I vaguely remember seeing some of the first of the 2nd generation DMUs (not sure whether they were Pacers) and thinking that they looked very modern compared with the Mk1-based EMUs I was used to.

I think the apparent lack of variety in the Southern EMU scene is partly responsible for my current interest in the 1960s period.  I chose to model that era because of the mix of loco hauled and multiple unit trains that I can run.  But I will do a blue/grey EMU layout at some point.

NeMo

And if I was to model what I did see and use (very occasionally) in my youth it'd be all BR Blue - one of the dreariest periods to model from my point of view :unimpressed:

I think you can only say BR blue era (70s and mid-80s) is dreary if you didn't visit depots on a regular basis.

For 'trainspotters' this was a golden age so far as diesels and electrics went. You could turn up to a depot, and if you asked nicely, chances were good you'd be let in. You could wander about and expect to see at least half a dozen classes on view. A trip to Old Oak for example circa 1984 would certainly yield 08s, 31s, 37s, 47s, 50s and HST power cars. With luck you'd bag one or two unusual spots, perhaps a 56 or something departmental.

Somewhere like Toton during a weekend and you'd see dozens and dozens of diesels all lined up doing nothing. Peaks, 47s, 56s, 25s and 20s for a start, but maybe some other bits and bobs as well.

There'd also be a lot of rolling stock, you'd have a mix of air and vacuum braked stock to look out for, plus some Big Four holdovers (brake vans for example) plus weird and wonderful departmental modifications that look positively primitive compared to the mechanised stuff you see nowadays.

I've not visited a depot since the 80s, but when I go past them on the train they always look empty. Of course this is more economical: the locos and rolling stock are all out earning a living. But dull and dreary? I'd say modern depots are much duller and drearier places than OC, TO, WN or any other other big 70s/80s yards and depots!!!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Sprintex

Quote from: NeMo on August 19, 2015, 01:01:38 PM
And if I was to model what I did see and use (very occasionally) in my youth it'd be all BR Blue - one of the dreariest periods to model from my point of view :unimpressed:

I think you can only say BR blue era (70s and mid-80s) is dreary if you didn't visit depots on a regular basis.

I didn't visit anything, the only bit of line I travelled was Brimsdown to Liverpool Street on a Class 305 about a dozen times in 1976-77 when I was 8 years old :D

Didn't step on a train again until well into my twenties :)

Paul

Calnefoxile

I've just selected era's 7,8 & 9 (although only an early bit of 9, due to the Club owning HHC).

I have to agree with NeMo though, that the BR Blue era was quite exciting, because you just never knew what was going to come down the line when the signal changed, unlike today when you'll know, with some degree of certainty, that'll be a 66, or a DMU of some sort.

Admittedly the Modern Era is more colourful with all the different TOCs about, but they all still use pretty much the same machines.

Another problem of modelling bygone era's, is that you need more different stock, to display a reasonable variation on your layout, regardless of where it's set, unlike today when you can 'get away' with a couple of 66's a couple of DMU's and a couple of HST's (for example) on any region in the country.

Just my thoughts  :D :D

Cheers

Neal.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Calnefoxile on August 19, 2015, 01:45:38 PM
Another problem of modelling bygone era's, is that you need more different stock, to display a reasonable variation on your layout, regardless of where it's set, unlike today
Surely that's an advantage though ?

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: NeMo on August 19, 2015, 01:01:38 PM

You could turn up to a depot, and if you asked nicely, chances were good you'd be let in.

Cheers, NeMo

Indeed you could, NeMo. Particularly on a Sunday. Chances are all that would be said was something like "Don't go in the cabs and keep a good look out for moving stock. Let me know when you leave".

Just before I retired there was a case where a Driver, in FULL uniform and with his FGW identity cards, turned up at Old Oak for his turn but security would not let him through the gate because he'd forgotten his gate pass. They wouldn't let him go home to get it and a manager was called out to personally identify the Driver.
All at about 3 am!
The manager, who I knew well, was not best pleased but couldn't say anything because security were acting with their regulations.
As you say, times have changed.

D1042 Western Princess

Admittedly the Modern Era is more colourful with all the different TOCs about, but they all still use pretty much the same machines.

Cheers

Neal.

Ah, but only if you have a main, or busy branch, line.
If your branch is only operated by one TOC then the variety of colours disappears.

Newportnobby

Another problem of modelling bygone era's, is that you need more different stock, to display a reasonable variation on your layout, regardless of where it's set

Thanks, Neal. I've been using that excuse for years to justify the amount of stock I have which is 95%+ Era 5 :D

steve836

Cheers,

In your second childhood perhaps?

Dave
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%